FJR on gravel and fire roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would disagree with a few things.Actually I use to think this also but reading a lot about what racers do in corners is they lean to the inside (unlike dirt bikes) but they still weight the outside peg. Yep, sounds weird and is hard to get use to but that is what they do...
Gonna have to diasgree with you here and agree with Tom. If you're talking about road racers and street riders, it IS the inside peg that is weighted. The more you weight the inside peg, the more turn you get out of the bike for the same lean angle. Very stable tracking feeling that gives you a maximum of margin to press the bike lower if the radius of your turn must decrease.

Rather than argue the point from my own experience, though, here's what Nick Ienatsch says about it: "Weight the inside foot peg and lead with your helmet's chinbar to mimic the racers' technique to get their bike transitioned from left to right with minimal difficulty." (Sport Riding Techniques, Ienatsch 2003, at p. 45). By way of reference, Kenny Roberts wrote the forward to the book, in which he says "I wholly endorse this book" before noting that it "is the culmination of the attention [ienatsch] has paid to the techniques for success."

Not to be confusing, but weight is usually on both pegs as you move your body, but initiating a turn at speed and riding it through to the point where you begin to transition to straight or the other direction, it is the inside peg that's weighted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would disagree with a few things.Actually I use to think this also but reading a lot about what racers do in corners is they lean to the inside (unlike dirt bikes) but they still weight the outside peg. Yep, sounds weird and is hard to get use to but that is what they do...
Gonna have to diasgree with you here and agree with Tom. If you're talking about road racers and street riders, it IS the inside peg that is weighted. The more you weight the inside peg, the more turn you get out of the bike for the same lean angle. Very stable tracking feeling that gives you a maximum of margin to press the bike lower if the radius of your turn must decrease.

Rather than argue the point from my own experience, though, here's what Nick Ienatsch says about it: "Weight the inside foot peg and lead with your helmet's chinbar to mimic the racers' technique to get their bike transitioned from left to right with minimal difficulty." (Sport Riding Techniques, Ienatsch 2003, at p. 45). By way of reference, Kenny Roberts wrote the forward to the book, in which he says "I wholly endorse this book" before noting that it "is the culmination of the attention [ienatsch] has paid to the techniques for success."

Not to be confusing, but weight is usually on both pegs as you move your body, but initiating a turn at speed and riding it through to the point where you begin to transition to straight or the other direction, it is the inside peg that's weighted.
Many of the places I have read this have been from Superbike teachers.

You will always get those that don't agree and it coming from me isn't going to convince you.

However, I like most always thought lean in put weight in on a street. I have seen where very experienced race teacher teach what I said. Lean in put weight out, I didn't make it up and arguing won't convince anyone...

https://www.docwong.com/st-clinc/articles/dwnndirt.htm

Here is a quick article based on dirt where they mention that some even recommend it for street this technique. Where I read it was somewhere else but this was a quick search in cornering.. As mentioned this could start a whole new debate/argument and since I have no real background to prove anything I am only mentioning what I have read from those who do have credentials...

Add. There is a complete techigue to countersteering before the turn, putting pressure then down on the bars on the side of the turn, pressure on the inside peg while leaning in and then a switch of weight to the outside peg. It is a complete procedure and technique that most aren't even aware that they do, but weight on the outside peg is used as you spin up on a corner exit.

This is from a forum where someone was quoting Keith Code.

From Keith Code, there are 2 ways where peg-weighting comes into play:

When the turn is initiated -- Together with the countersteer, a push on the inside peg will help make the turn easier. I don't think it's required for every turn especially for the road, and it's more helpful to racers who have to take turns harder and faster -- they have a lot more centrifugal force to overcome at the speeds they go.

In the turn -- For stability, while the bike is leaned over, you can weight the outside peg. This is helpful even on the road, where weighting the outside peg would counter upward forces from bumps and ripples on the road.

That said, it requires a real conscious effort, and it's easier to practice on a track where there are high-speed sweepers.

Many of the places I have read this have been from Superbike teachers.You will always get those that don't agree and it coming from me isn't going to convince you.

However, I like most always thought lean in put weight in on a street. I have seen where very experienced race teacher teach what I said. Lean in put weight out, I didn't make it up and arguing won't convince anyone...

Here is a quick article based on dirt where they mention that some even recommend it for street this technique. Where I read it was somewhere else but this was a quick search in cornering.. As mentioned this could start a whole new debate/argument and since I have no real background to prove anything I am only mentioning what I have read from those who do have credentials...
I've heard that said before, but usually in the context of something like "it probably doesn't matter which peg you weight more so much as it does that you're in a comfortable position and your body is inside." You can find different examples of body and footpeg weight bias in Superbike, etc. classes in the same race, all of whom could blow either of us off the track.

For me it's a little hard to fathom having my body inside with my weight on an outside peg that's higher off the ground, but maybe that's because I need to feel like I'm riding a carving ski. On skis, in a fast GS turn, I am going to have 95% of my weight on the inside edge of my outside (downhill) ski -- but it's on the snow surface without having something so large as a motorcycle between my legs. On a bike carving a similar line at speed, I can get a similar relationship to the arc of the turn with my body, and similar connection to the carving rubber only by having my weight mostly on the inside peg. By contrast, you have a lot more dirt experience (especially in the last couple decades) than I do.

I'm guessing that it comes back to the comfortable position issue more than a focus on which peg bears the most weight, but I don't hear us disagreeing on where the mass of our bodies needs to be -- inside.

Many of the places I have read this have been from Superbike teachers.You will always get those that don't agree and it coming from me isn't going to convince you.

I've heard that said before, but usually in the context of something like "it probably doesn't matter which peg you weight more so much as it does that you're in a comfortable position and your body is inside." You can find different examples of body positions in Superbike, etc. classes in teh same race, all of whom could blow either of us off the track.

For me it's a little hard to fathom having my body inside with my weight on an outside ped that's higher off the ground, but maybe that's because I need to feel like I'm riding a carving ski. On skis, in a fast GS turn, I am going to have 95% of my weight on the inside edge of my outside (downhill) ski -- but it's on the snow surface. On a bike carving a similar line at speed, I can get a similar relationship to the arc of the turn with my body, and similar connection to the carving rubber only by having my weight mostly on the inside peg.

I'm guessing that it comes back to the comfortable position issue more than a focus on which peg, but I don't hear us disagreeing on where the masss of your body needs to be -- inside.
Let me just say, I can't do it. I have tried but just can't seem to lean in and put weight out.

However I have read enough to know why and that it works.

I have heard people can fly huge aircraft and land them, I can't...

No disagreement on body position, dirt outside, street inside but both on tank...

I always thought if your gonna corner, you should ride like this,

P7220009.JPG

or this,

Four-year-old%20Tu%20Yuncai%20performs%20acrobatics%20while%20riding%20a%20motorcycle.jpg

:D :D

Add. There is a complete techigue to countersteering before the turn, putting pressure then down on the bars on the side of the turn, pressure on the inside peg while leaning in and then a switch of weight to the outside peg. It is a complete procedure and technique that most aren't even aware that they do, but weight on the outside peg is used as you spin up on a corner exit.
Now, that's interesting! No doubt that I do something a little like that somewhat subconsciously -- it's like how I weight a carving ski, almost stomping my weight down into it at the point where I'm carving it hardest (deflecting the ski into an arc hardest) deep in a turn, then subtly letting off as my weight in the boot moves almost imperceptibly back to ride more of the tail on the turn's exit. (Driving my downhill knee or angulating my uphill hip in coordination with this weighting is the correllary to the countersteer on a bike.) I don't mean to digress from MCs, but that's why this explanation makes inate sense to me and I feel something similar on a bike in a hard turn. I almost stomp max weight onto that inside footpeg at the point where I'm deepest into the turn, continuing if the radius is decreasing . . . but, I definitely do feel like I'm getting off it after that. Good post -- gives me something to think about.

This is from a forum where someone was quoting Keith Code.From Keith Code, there are 2 ways where peg-weighting comes into play:

When the turn is initiated -- Together with the countersteer, a push on the inside peg will help make the turn easier. I don't think it's required for every turn especially for the road, and it's more helpful to racers who have to take turns harder and faster -- they have a lot more centrifugal force to overcome at the speeds they go.

In the turn -- For stability, while the bike is leaned over, you can weight the outside peg. This is helpful even on the road, where weighting the outside peg would counter upward forces from bumps and ripples on the road.

That said, it requires a real conscious effort, and it's easier to practice on a track where there are high-speed sweepers.
More good stuff -- thanks.

Now does anyone want to argue supermoto?

It is a real mixture of street and dirt. :D

Quick edit: More crap I can't do but have read about LOL

Dudes, I'm just happy coming out of the curve still on the bike.

And that second pic - what is she, 8? Does she ride like that because her feet don't reach the pegs? Or, is that leg kicked up where drunk dad just fell off and she had to grab the bars in the classic "OH, SH*T" move?

You folks are just wimps. Sure the FJR can do gravel and dirt. I posted this once before, but I guess I have to do it again for the old coots.

Ron

motocrossfjr1rz.jpg

For what it's worth, I've ridden ST1100s,Beemer RTs and a ST1300 on lots of dirt,gravel & mountain backroads. Love it. Worst I've seen are some dirt roads in Louisiana & S W Mississippi. Lots of loose sand. Pockets of it camoflaged like duck hunters. You hit'm before you know it. I've found weighting the downhill peg helps a bunch("downhill" can mean no more angle than normal camber on a flat road). It really helps when sidehilling on dirt bikes here in Idaho. Sometimes the dirt road will narrow to the point you can barely turn around. Just gun the front tire up the hill on the side of the road(if there IS a hill there),then let momentum do the work while you back the bike around. Clement Salvadore at "Rider" magazine once wrote about the HUGE number of miles of unpaved versus paved roades. Limit yourself to paved roads,you're leaving all the others to me. THANKS!

The new FJR that was supposed to arrive in August arrived at my dealership earlier this week--Iowa City Motorsports. Well prepped. I picked it up Friday afternoon and did break-in runs today alone and with local touring club. WOW!!!!! Only niggling complaints: definitely will need handlebar risers; clutch lever is either on or off; doesn't seem to be any in-between. Have to relearn low-speed maneuvering; too much turbulence with windshield up. All fixable. Found myself doing 100 mph on county road straightaway. Felt like doing 70 on my old GL1100. Man were those sweepers fun. How could I have ever doubted for a moment? My wife asked me this afternoon what I wanted for Fathers Day. I said its all taken care of.

You folks are just wimps. Sure the FJR can do gravel and dirt. I posted this once before, but I guess I have to do it again for the old coots.Ron

motocrossfjr1rz.jpg
Is it just me, or does the front of that FJR look like it's saying - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

You mmay be right about the FJR yelling, but I think it is saying "Oh, $h.t!!"

Ron

I know this is an old thread.... but watch this.....

Pretty amazing actually......