FJR or RT, Used Bike Prices

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekstone

Reaction score
I'm still on the fence between a used GenII FJR and a used BMW R1200RT. (And some days I consider keeping my 1999 R1100RT. But those days are getting fewer and fewer.)

Believe it or not, the price gulf between the same year FJR and 12RT isn't as large as I thought. The RT comes standard with a few more bells and whistles. It does have a few things I'd add to a FJR (at additional cost... like cruise control and heated grips). But here's the real difference... used BMWs tend to come with more farkles than used FJRs. Insurance runs a tad more for the FJR (for me). On paper, the FJR edges out the BMW in maintenance costs. So while the initial FJR purchase is considerable less than the same-year RT, the end result (for me) isn't as big a difference as I originally anticipated.

Another major consideration (again, for me) is on-line support. There are several good BMW sites. But I gotta say, after spending some time on this board, I'm not worried in the least about getting help, direction, suggestions (or a healthy dose of sarcasm) here. That means a lot!

Today I'm leaning toward the FJR. (Who knows where my head will be tomorrow.) I've enjoyed studying prices for the past several months. There has been the occasional good deal (and a couple fantastic deals). Private-seller prices are now getting better with winter coming on. (Most dealers are still way overpriced.) But I've noticed something odd. It appears to me that FJRs are less expensive in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe it's a supply and demand thing. (Or my imagination.)

Back to the fence.

I have owned three different BMW bikes over the years.

Both bikes you are looking at are nice. I'd have some major reliability concerns about taking a BMW cross country, but none whatsoever with my '05 FJR with 60k+ miles on it.

Plus, I can say first hand that FJR ownerss are much cooler people to hang around with.

No pipe or slippers required, but beer and cigars are encouraged!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
BMW makes fine motorcycles. I choose an FJR because I fear BMW reliability issues, especially rear ends and splines. If money was no object well then I might still be a BMW owner.

For instance, "Motorcycle Consumer News published a feature article titled "BMW Final Drive Failures" in September 2009". Ouch.

agree with above posts on reliability...

have you ridden both bikes that you are considering??

if not, that's may bring clarity...

i was in the same boat... spent some time on both. the FJR made my heart pound faster. :)

since you are already on a BMW, will you lose all your friends (and make new ones) if you change to FJR??

are you an elitist? go with the BMW.

have you gotten past all that and want a machine that just work? try the FJR... probably won't look back.

JMHO...

I'm still on the fence between a used GenII FJR and a used BMW R1200RT. (And some days I consider keeping my 1999 R1100RT. But those days are getting fewer and fewer.)

Believe it or not, the price gulf between the same year FJR and 12RT isn't as large as I thought. The RT comes standard with a few more bells and whistles. It does have a few things I'd add to a FJR (at additional cost... like cruise control and heated grips). But here's the real difference... used BMWs tend to come with more farkles than used FJRs. Insurance runs a tad more for the FJR (for me). On paper, the FJR edges out the BMW in maintenance costs. So while the initial FJR purchase is considerable less than the same-year RT, the end result (for me) isn't as big a difference as I originally anticipated.

Another major consideration (again, for me) is on-line support. There are several good BMW sites. But I gotta say, after spending some time on this board, I'm not worried in the least about getting help, direction, suggestions (or a healthy dose of sarcasm) here. That means a lot!

Today I'm leaning toward the FJR. (Who knows where my head will be tomorrow.) I've enjoyed studying prices for the past several months. There has been the occasional good deal (and a couple fantastic deals). Private-seller prices are now getting better with winter coming on. (Most dealers are still way overpriced.) But I've noticed something odd. It appears to me that FJRs are less expensive in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe it's a supply and demand thing. (Or my imagination.)

Back to the fence.
Clint,

I've had two RTs, loved the 1100, hated (most of the time) the 1150. My 1150 went away when I bought my 2004 FJR. I never regreted it for a minute. Then at 80,000 (the most miles I've ever put on a bike) I traded the '04 for my current '09 AE. I wouldn't even consider an RT again. I did have two '05 LTs at the same time as the '04 FJR (totaled the firs) and sold the second because I preferred the FJR for long trips. I just finished a 1400 mile three day weekend and the FJR was a dream! So I think you are definately leaning the right way!

Go with which ever one makes your heart beat faster...
+1, Gunny; Excellent Words of Wisdom from HotRodZilla, my BMW's and my Yamaha's have both served me very well and faithfully!

In the middle of this pack is my beautiful Ingrid, a 2005 BMW R1150RT, I put 40K miles on Ingrid in Mexico alone!

PLEASE NOTE: Parked in front of Ingrid is "The Dirty Old Whore", Admin SkooterG's 250K mile 2004 FJR. Both bike brands are great motos!

2765168560100360492S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on riding both. When I started looking, I was sure I'd end up with one of the BMW sport tourers. After riding both, I had no doubt in my mind which one I preferred. I found the RT and FJR to be very different bikes and had a clear preference for the FJR. In fact, I thought the BMW GT was a much closer bike for comparison to the FJR.

Which ever one makes you smile. I have owned two K bikes and unlike a lot of riders, the RT's I've ridden over the years don't do anything for me. No joy. The FJR makes me grin.

I'm fortunate enough to currently have both an FJR (08/A) and an R1200RT (09). They both make me grin. Both have been cross-country and I wouldn't hesitate to take either again. Both are keepers. :yahoo:

That said, since I got the RT, it has been accumulating miles at about twice the rate as the FJR.

I had an 1100RT and loved it for touring. I finally sold it because I couldn't stand the surging any longer (do the new ones still surge?) and it finally overheated in Houston traffic.

Got the FJR after much research and am totally happy with it. One thing not mentioned yet is that the RT is significantly lighter than the pig that the FJR is. "Flicking" a bike into a curve is a very different experience between the two bikes.

I've upgraded my suspension and it is now flawless, no problem meeting or beating sport bikes and RT's in the twisties, two up.

There is slightly more room on the RT if you're riding two up a lot.

It just depends on what you want from a bike. Both will put a smile on you face.

After (test)riding both the RT1100 and RT1150, the RT1200 IS the best of the BMW twins. But major (and minor) maintanence $$$ is considerable.

After owning the C10 (Connie) and my FJR, the 'zip' of the inline 4 cylinder engine is what makes me smile. Ongoing costs are minimal (valves @ 26k)(extra for tires :yahoo: )

It really comes down to what YOU want.....more bike for sport-TOURING (BMW)

more bike for SPORT-touring (FJR)

I have owned three different BMW bikes over the years.

Both bikes you are looking at are nice. I'd have some major reliability concerns about taking a BMW cross country, but none whatsoever with my '05 FJR with 60k+ miles on it.
I hear ya on the reliability concern. But it's hard to quantify... largely because BMW refuses to provide the needed data. The big issue has been final drives. As for RTs, my understanding is that it became pronounced with the 1150 models (2001-2005) and early 1200 models (2005-2006). It appears to have been addressed because reports of failures dropped off with the 2007 RT on.

Another concern I have is the lack of BMW dealers... especially in the West where I like to ride. A 500 mile tow is a real possibility.

It's funny how concerned we are about motorcycle reliability verus auto reliability. Few people worry about taking their sub-100K mile car cross country.

Admittedly, no. I pretty much know what to expect out of the R1200RT (a pronouced improvement over my R1100RT). I checked the ergos of the FJR at a local dealer. But I have not ridden one. If anyone on the West side of Houston wants to swap bikes for a few miles, I'd love to ride your GenII FJR.

I had an 1100RT and loved it for touring. I finally sold it because I couldn't stand the surging any longer (do the new ones still surge?) and it finally overheated in Houston traffic.

Got the FJR after much research and am totally happy with it. One thing not mentioned yet is that the RT is significantly lighter than the pig that the FJR is. "Flicking" a bike into a curve is a very different experience between the two bikes.

I've upgraded my suspension and it is now flawless, no problem meeting or beating sport bikes and RT's in the twisties, two up.
I love my R1100RT. It's the second one I've owned. My first had the surging issue. I could minimize it with constant tuning; but I knew it was there. My current RT has no surging issues; it runs like a dream (except for the agricultural transmission). And while I've started replacing things that might be an issue with a older bike, I still worry about breaking down in BFE. (That's in Utah for those that don't know. :) )

The weight thing... yeah, that is worth considering. It is one of the main reasons I won't even consider a ST1300.

I would indeed upgrade the suspension at some point in time (on any bike). Ohlins transformed my current RT.

It's funny how concerned we are about motorcycle reliability verus auto reliability. Few people worry about taking their sub-100K mile car cross country.
FWIW, my buddy had a RT1200. It was a really nice bike, and I think more comfortable than my FJR. The FJR is more visceral...

As far as worrying about reliability, I never have. Every time I take the bike out of the garage, whether its a trip to the store or across the country, I fully believe she will bring me home. She hasn't failed me yet.

Admittedly, no. I pretty much know what to expect out of the R1200RT (a pronouced improvement over my R1100RT). I checked the ergos of the FJR at a local dealer. But I have not ridden one. If anyone on the West side of Houston wants to swap bikes for a few miles, I'd love to ride your GenII FJR.
Aha!! I predict that once you ride an FJR this discussion will be over.

PS - for the R1100 surging (mine was a '94 RS) I used a Techlusion to get rid of most of the lean surge. I also ended up putting an extra (stronger) return spring on the right side throttle body as that was part of the problem keeping the two in sync. After that, beautiful. Then, once I finally had it straightened out, I sold it (of course). :rolleyes: