FJR Tech Day III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That may depend on when you get here Scott. Not sure how long a job it is :huh:

I know this spring 2 arrived on Friday and removed tuppeware in preparation for the next day.

Maybe Iggnuts will chime in with a time estimate as he's done it on a gen I

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning on rolling in Friday afternoon/evening (if that is okay by you). Splitting the riding up into two days each way.

Day one (Thursday)- Head out from Chesapeake VA. Stop over in Pittsburg PA.

Day two - Arrive at your house, Owosso MI.

Day three - Tech day.

Day four - Head South to Charleston WV.

Day five - Arrive home in Chesapeake VA.

"Can one of the Gen 1ers post a parts list of what needs to be purchased for the forks?"

Having just done my forks this spring I can have a list posted tomorrow. Don't know what mileage your bike has, but mine had 78K & I had to get new springs. You might want to consider springs as well as long as it's torn apart.

Mike

"Can one of the Gen 1ers post a parts list of what needs to be purchased for the forks?"

Having just done my forks this spring I can have a list posted tomorrow. Don't know what mileage your bike has, but mine had 78K & I had to get new springs. You might want to consider springs as well as long as it's torn apart.

Mike
Sound advice. I am nearing 50K. I appreciate you posting the parts list for me/us.

A couple items I'd suggest replacing on front forks automatically is the oil seal (a no brainer), dust seal and the cap bolt o-ring. It was highly recommended to me to replace the outer and inner tube bushings, not expensive items so why not. Something else I overlooked when rebuilding son's VFR forks were the copper washers at the bottom of the forks. You don't want to try to re-use the old ones, they will most likely leak. Besides, again not a high dollar item. I had spent a tad over a hundred for new springs but felt the biggest investment was time. First time always takes the longest.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Scott, All indicators point to 4 hours for the lamp change.. If ya get here Friday we should have it done and on the way to re- assembly before the drunkards arise/arrive Saturday morning..

Speaking of Saturday morning, what's an acceptable time to arrive? Or if you find me asleep against your garage, just give me a not too hardy kick.

Well Mike.. As the official start is Friday I would hope I would still be awake when you arrive Saturday morning... I sleep so very little during these events.

Scott, All indicators point to 4 hours for the lamp change.. If ya get here Friday we should have it done and on the way to re- assembly before the drunkards arise/arrive Saturday morning..
Okay. Anyone else want to do theirs? I'll buy as many sets as there are people that want to do it. Consider it a door prize for arriving early.

Bushings and seals.... items 3, 5, 6, 7, and optional 13. 2 of each. 2 litres/quarts of fork oil. New springs if you're so inclined, get aftermarket straight rate, e.g., RaceTech.

Edit, that list is for Gen 2. Look up the equivalent for Gen 1, it has one less set of bushings.

IIRC the genI's are going upwards of 40 k before the bushings need love Ray.. :)

Duhhhh.. I see where Scott is past that point :dribble: Guess I need a beer or seven.