FJR Tech Day III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local shop closed a few months back Scott.

I told Sheila it would be her responsibility to take orders from all gathered chase parts for this affair.

She being a proper wife.. promptly applied a frying pan upside my head :blink:

Actually she thought it would be fun for her and the girls to get away from the madness for a spell that day, so I figure we'll estimate what we need early and they can run over to Flint (25 miles) and gather what we need.

After a bit of research, I am considering using ATF. Here is a link on our forum about it: Fork Oil Thread and it is talked about over at Thumper Talk too. Does anyone know how much it takes?

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC the genI's are going upwards of 40 k before the bushings need love Ray.. :)
Well, at the rate you're going, yours will need serviced in ... lemme see here ... roughly speaking, 2042 or so. Heck - if you get crazy, you just might even need a new front tire before then!

:p

My forks, on the other hand, at 80,000+ miles on the clock, could use some TLC.

Please forgive my ignorance. This would be my 1st event such as this.

How does this work?

I am looking to do the CCT and Throttle return spring mod.

So, are we all showing up to assist others? Or are there guys there to do the work for/with us? If so, what is applicable payment?

AND...

What is Busta's "tribute" for use of his facilities?

Sorry and thanks.

Well, at the rate you're going, yours will need serviced in ... lemme see here ... roughly speaking, 2042 or so. Heck - if you get crazy, you just might even need a new front tire before then!

:p

My forks, on the other hand, at 80,000+ miles on the clock, could use some TLC.

Oh go puck yerself ya thistle dik.

:finger:

Please forgive my ignorance. This would be my 1st event such as this.
Welcome!

How does this work?
1. Show up.

2. Laugh at my amazing lack of mechanical ability.

3. See #2.

4. Wrench on your bike. There will be others to help ya out.

I am looking to do the CCT and Throttle return spring mod.

So, are we all showing up to assist others? Or are there guys there to do the work for/with us? If so, what is applicable payment?
You'll have a wealth of CCT 'sperience around. That'll be no big deal. Not sure about the throttle spring, but there will be others there with more wrenchy knowledge than me.

AND...

What is Busta's "tribute" for use of his facilities?
See ionbeam's comment.

No, really...

Sorry and thanks.
Nothing to apologize for, and looking forward to meeting ya!

Reading KennyWiz' message made me think "maybe I shouldn't just assume". May I come and play work on bikes with ya'll?

I can lend assitance on the fork rebuilds and bring my seal seating tool and any other tools that might be handy (except an air compressor - load rating on the bike and all), shop manuel, etc. Just let me know. As it stands now there is an 80-20 chance I'd be able to make it. Mostly it depends on whether or not I survive one of Wheatons rides @ Hooterville the weekend before.

Any chance anyone might be doing a valve check that weekend? I recently had mine done but I do think the mechanic skipped a link on the timing chain.

Mike

It's on! The parts for the fork job are in, the LED's are in, I booked motel rooms for my stop over in the Pittsburg area on the 13th and Charleston WV on 16th! :yahoo:

Route up

Route back

Hey Bust (or anyone that is attending),

You wouldn't happen to have a tire balancer would you? I have a slow leak in my rear tire that has been there since I had the tire put on. I suspect it is the valve stem. I would like to swap it out for a 90 degree stem, but don't have access to a balancer.

You wouldn't happen to have a tire balancer would you? I have a slow leak in my rear tire that has been there since I had the tire put on. I suspect it is the valve stem. I would like to swap it out for a 90 degree stem, but don't have access to a balancer.
From my experience, you will not need rebalance just to change the valve stem. A m/c tire has to b e significantly out of balance for you to notice at speedsover the speed limit. Just mark the tire position before you remove it.

From my experience, you will not need rebalance just to change the valve stem. A m/c tire has to b e significantly out of balance for you to notice at speedsover the speed limit. Just mark the tire position before you remove it.
I'm hoping that all I need to do is break the bead on one side. I'll bring valve stems with me.

The guy down the road from me has a clamp style tire changer and a very nice Atlas balancing machine. I'm going to head down there later and see if he's going to be home that weekend.

Just to be prepared. ;)

I'm hoping that all I need to do is break the bead on one side. I'll bring valve stems with me.
It will be tight, and you will need a couple of C-clamps to squeeze the tire. If you ask Bust nice, he might tell you if he's got one or two.

I've one or two I think.... I know I have a couple unconventional screw type pipe clamps I use for wood that I used when I did mine.

New this year is a door prize drawing for a few I items I've either created and didn't sell or don't use/need. Nice little butane fired campstove, pictures Of Tom on critters, Nudes of Beemerdons and Scooty.

Drawing @ 3 P.M. and you need to be here to win. ;)

NOTICE

At this point all the rooms at the Inn are taken.. Please PM ASAP all who are attending.

Bill, Ray, Andy an Sooze, Scott, Tom and Pam.. will all have rooms with beds all others at this point will need sleeping bags or some type of cover. We have 2 air mattress's and floor space. I suppose some cloud crash on the floor in the garage if that's where they pass out. I'll keep the heat@70..

End

I may have to respectfully bow out of this one. I've learned that we have family coming in that weekend, and I'm not exactly sure what the schedule is. Saturday morning is looking full, so a 1 day trip I was planning on doing to do is out.