FJR Tech Day IV

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in, mostly because I don't want to miss seeing something get broke on Geek's bike and him having to thumb it home...

I have a '09 service manual, and experience with valve check, fork service, and other useless stuff...

Wayne

You may want to consider calling GP Sispensions or Traxxion about upgrading the springs and valving since we are going to have everything apart anyways and this would be the time to do it.
I think money might disagree about the timing, but maybe I'll look into it.

If anybody has the TBS tool let me know.
I have one.

I hope to have all my maintenance done by then, including the valves, but I'm going to try to stop in and say "hi" anyway.
Awesome! C'mon up! Not sure of our travel plans for sure yet, but we're gonna have to pass through your home town no matter what.

I'm in, mostly because I don't want to miss seeing something get broke on Geek's bike and him having to thumb it home...
Ouch.

That hurts, buddy. That really hurts. :blink:

I have a '09 service manual, and experience with valve check, fork service, and other useless stuff...
Excellent point - I'll bring my far superior '04 service manual with me.

I have a very uncertain schedule ahead, but I'll try my best to be there, may only be able to make it one day, dunno yet. Carbtune TBS tool will be sent along if I somehow can't be there. This time I want somebody to watch my back so I don't get any more of those "surprises" from behind!!

I have a very uncertain schedule ahead, but I'll try my best to be there, may only be able to make it one day, dunno yet. Carbtune TBS tool will be sent along if I somehow can't be there. This time I want somebody to watch my back so I don't get any more of those "surprises" from behind!!
Or at least some Kevlar reinforcement of the "crucial" portion of your coveralls - they don't have a drop seat like your red winter woolies do they Ray? :lol:

If anyone is going to be changing tires please bring some stick-on weights with you. I will have my Marc Parnes Balancer and it is so simple to balance a wheel even Bust or Andy could do it.

If anyone is going to be changing tires please bring some stick-on weights with you. I will have my Marc Parnes Balancer and it is so simple to balance a wheel even Bust or Andy could do it.
If I can make my old tires last till then, I might have to take you up on the offer. If so I will bring weights. Is that something that I should be able to pick up at an auto parts store?

Joe - you need wheel weights like these. I'm not sure you'd find them at a normal auto parts store.

I have a couple strips of them in my toolkit if we need them.

If I can make my old tires last till then, I might have to take you up on the offer. If so I will bring weights. Is that something that I should be able to pick up at an auto parts store?

If you know somebody at an auto tire store, they might sell you some. Keep in mind the auto ones tend to be wider and thinner, whereas bike ones are smaller footprint and thicker. Also lead is being banned eventually, and there are steel weights out there, need more of 'em for the same weight. You could try to balance the wheel first, then put the tire on and you might end up with less weights.

Edit - When you balance the bare wheel (with valve stem in), use clip-on weights and leave them there permanently, stick-ons to tweak after the tire is on. One of my bare wheels has 30 grams req'd to balance it (were on from the factory). Valve stem area seems to be the light spot oddly enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne

Seems like it's always Andys bike that acts up :lol:

Wayne

Seems like it's always Andys bike that acts up :lol:
<sigh> Yep - that's what happens when you actually ride your FJR. But, this time around, I don't really have anything major to do. Think I'll bring my Fenda Extenda for installation. May have a set of tires shipped to you since Bill's bringing his NoMar. I may bring my Datel meter to see if anyone can help me brainstorm where to put the damn thing. If I don't do it myself before then, front brake pads - I am really not liking those EJC or whatever brand they are pads that we put in there last fall. Just odds and ends this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point; bring yours, it's probably like new still...
Har har. If I woulda bought it new, then you'd be right.

How do you plan to put on the fender extender (glue or tape or bolts)??
Dunno. That's why I thought I'd bring it to seek opinions (if I don't get around to researching it before-hand).

I was leaning towards using the ABS cement as suggested in the write up on fjrtech.com. I'll check around for a small can of it.

How do you plan to put on the fender extender (glue or tape or bolts)??
Dunno. That's why I thought I'd bring it to seek opinions (if I don't get around to researching it before-hand).

You guys are so screwed...

umm, a 5th of something

then next day 8000000 miles in traffic

following a d-ranged l-unatic who

would NOT

split

err,

'share'

lanes?

Yah, you all are fooked

oh,

just sayin and nuff said!

;)

Does anyone have any of the home-made (or actual) special tools for working with the Gen II forks? The only one that looks expensive/difficult to make is the "damper assembly holder", mostly because I can't weld.

This thread has lots of nice details: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140923

I'd be willing to make/bring the middle bushing driver and the oil seal driver.

I think we could probably nearly follow the shop manual's procedure for removing the oil seal. We don't need a big hydraulic press to do it; just a nice hydraulic jack and something solid to hold the other end of the fork in place as we use the jack to compress the fork.