FJR Tech Day IV

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any of the home-made (or actual) special tools for working with the Gen II forks? The only one that looks expensive/difficult to make is the "damper assembly holder", mostly because I can't weld.
I believe Bust still has all the necessary tools from the fall when they did a number of forks. I would ask about the thin wall tubing required for seating the middle bushing since that is not required for Gen 1's however.

As typically we are "Manly men" we don't need no stinking hydraulics... We apply man pressure wherever/whenever brute force is needed Jeff.

If that don't work, we beat the offending item into submission with a Canadian. ;)

Is there any more room to do another set of tires?

The reason I ask is this. My brother's bike is desperately in need of tires. He lacks two things: 1) funds and 2) mechanical knowledge / tools to do the job. I thought maybe I could provide a way for him to save some money on this. That way being you guys. He's on a Honda Nighthawk 750, so there's not much in the way of fairings.

If the request is out of line or breaks the FJRForum code, please let me know. If there simply isn't room or time to do it, that's fine too. But I thought I would ask and see what the consensus is. I haven't told my brother about it or anything. First I'd see if this was an option.

Is there any more room to do another set of tires? ...

... If the request is out of line or breaks the FJRForum code, please let me know. If there simply isn't room or time to do it, that's fine too. But I thought I would ask and see what the consensus is. I haven't told my brother about it or anything. First I'd see if this was an option.
I have no problems with changing the tires on a non-FJR but I do have to charge an extra beer for working on a Honda however. There are certain standards that need to be maintained you know. ;)

Please remember to bring your own tires and wheel weights.

Is there any more room to do another set of tires? ...

... If the request is out of line or breaks the FJRForum code, please let me know. If there simply isn't room or time to do it, that's fine too. But I thought I would ask and see what the consensus is. I haven't told my brother about it or anything. First I'd see if this was an option.
I have no problems with changing the tires on a non-FJR but I do have to charge an extra beer for working on a Honda however. There are certain standards that need to be maintained you know. ;)

Please remember to bring your own tires and wheel weights.

Just one extra beer?? :blink: Damn Bill yer a cheap date!

Ya know when you put wheels on Honda's the arrow direction is backward.

After much thinking and calling around for prices on suspension upgrade kits, etc., I've decided to skip fork maintenance for now and just send them off to GP Suspension at the end of the year for full service and upgrade.

So now I have nothing major to do to my bike at tech day. I guess I'll just be heckling from the sidelines :)

Guys I PM'd Bikergeek and told him I'd like to make the trip this May. Since I'm new, before ripping into the bike for the first time I'd feel more comfortable having someone around even if they point and laugh at me before hopefully jumping in to help. Just planning on doing some simple stuff. I got an 08 with about 13,000 on it now.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Crumpadump

Last edited by a moderator:
Thee inn is booked to capacity at this point... Camping or Garage floor still open though.
What the Hell, no room in the Bustanut's king size Owosso bed for Papa Chuy Viejo? Where's all the wonderful Michigan hospitality I have always heard about? Damnit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thee inn is booked to capacity at this point... Camping or Garage floor still open though.
What the Hell, no room in the Bustanut's king size Owosso bed for Papa Chuy Viejo? Where's all the wonderful Michigan hospitality I have always heard about? Damnit!

Always room in the shearing shed for your kind papa..

Comstock Inn is 2 miles from my place. Not sure of the rates but I'll see if I can get some kinda deal.

Brother opted to get tires done elsewhere, so no need to worry about doing anything to the Honda.

I'm still coming though.

Probably a good thing Tim....Bill would have put the front on the rear and the rear on the front.

It looks like we'll have a spot for ya though it'll be a shared room.. Um, with Bill. :huh:

Well, I couldn't make my tires last another month...so if I make it up there, it's just gonna be for the party...I did get a pack of Bike Master stick on wheel weights that I can bring

Well, I couldn't make my tires last another month...so if I make it up there, it's just gonna be for the party...I did get a pack of Bike Master stick on wheel weights that I can bring
There's going to be a party??? :blink:

Why am I always the last to know? :(

Well bust, for the ones that don't pass out early in the sheep shed!

Well bust, for the ones that don't pass out early in the sheep shed!
Well by Golly there was a party at one of 'em.. Seems I was too drunk to remember.

285.jpg

Wonder if Bill does? :dribble:

It now looks like I'm gonna make it......... debating whether to save my valve check and CCT job for then or not...... if so, will show Friday nite so bike is cooled down for Saturday a.m.