FJR vs. Bear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pleased you were able to walk away.

In future, take a passenger ... a small child or girlfriend works well. For angry bears, the best defense is the ability to run faster than your companion :D

Is the bike salvagable? If the frame is straight the rest can be rebuilt, at a modest cost and you pocket the payout. A salvage title is no issue if you plan to keep it and wear it out.

Thanks all!

Just got back from the doctor. Looks like I will need two surgeries. First with the orthopedic surgeon for the ankle and the second with a plastic surgeon for the hand. Yes it could have been a lot worse...tank top, shorts and sandals!

Bike is fully insured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gmann,

Could have been so much worse, very glad that it wasn't. Go buy a lotto ticket.

Best regards

Surly

Yeesh. I've been having too many surgeries here lately myself. I feel your pain. Hope you have an easy recovery.

GP

PS_0134W_STRONGER_BEARS.jpg

'Effin bear. Glad you thought that was funny. A friend sent me that a week ago and I figured it was painfully appropriate.

Glad you came out mostly ok!!

That's quite a story Gmann, glad you escaped with minor injuries...ATGATT works!

Good luck with the '06 or searching for a replacement.

--G

Holee crap. I fear hitting bears and mountain lions. Anything that might get up and exact revenge while you are still trying to put your marbles back together is something I'd rather avoid. I mean, not that I'd want to hit a deer either, but at least I've got a good chance of splitting them in half or killing them. So glad to hear this didn't end up so much worse than it did.

After nearly 70,000 carefree kilometers on my 06 it all came to an end last weekend...this black mass erupts from the shadows...and I was instantly flying...Airborne, waiting for the inevitable impact with the tarmac...I had perfectly T-boned the running black bear...I found the FJR parked 2 feet from the from pavement edge on the right side of the road, perfectly aligned in the direction I was going, upside down balancing on the handle bars and rear rack...I told them what had happened and they were shinning flash lights into the forest were they could see a pair of eyes staring back at them.....the cops came back the next morning to see if they could find the bear in the forest. They walked in a very short distance and found only a marijuana plantation...
...Sorry to hear about your crash, that totally sucks. Glad to hear you made it mostly intact...Heal up fast, and keep us posted
...Very glad to hear that you came out OK...A replacement bike and new farkles for it can be purchased, but we each only get one shot at the staying alive thing.
...Seriously, glad to hear you had relatively minor injuries since it could have been much worse...Now to shop for a new bike!
Very happy to read you are more or less ok all things considered...
Very pleased you were able to walk away...
... Just got back from the doctor. Looks like I will need two surgeries...
+1 to all of the above. Glad it turned out as well as it did if it had to happen. Wishing you a good outcome for the surgeries.

I can't help but wonder what is going to happen when the pot farmer returns to his little patch and finds a very angry bear waiting for him......

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerald,

Glad your ok for the most part, hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery's, Glad your Smuggler survived.

Must have been scary waiting for reinforcements to arrive. I'd be worried the bear might come back your way for round two! It's bad enough what you went through but then to possibly be mauled by a pissed off bear.....Damm. Glad you're OK. What did your insurance company say when you told them about your accident?

Insurance company said they have never had a motorcycle/bear claim. Guess it's good to be first at something..... Again thanks to all who responded to my post. Gives me lots to chuckle about.

G.

Saved this for a Friday post.
After nearly 70,000 carefree kilometers on my 06 it all came to an end last weekend.....

I finished installing Winpro's induction plates,....
Damn! I had just ordered the plates from Dave, but now that they appear to be the bear bates, I would need to think that all over again. We do have enough bears here as well...

In the other hand, it can also be that the plates saved you from the worse instead.

Now that's the dilemma!

Congrats on living through it. The moment of realization, when you know the strike will happen.. it sucks.

Hope all goes well for the surgeries and healing. Sounds like it could have been much worse. Of course here in NZ we have the constant worry of an angry kiwi running out of the bush
rolleyes.gif

Gmann, glad to hear your injuries were relatively minor; could have been so much worse. The bike can be repaired (you too) or replaced (you can't be). We went over that road last week, just dodging deer.

Glad to hear that you're okay and injuries are relatively minor in light of what you hit.

Had a customer at HD shop a few years back hit a black bear while riding Skyline Drive in Virginia. Full dresser with a small trailer attached, saw the bear coming down the hillside, moved towards the shoulder and tried to slow down figuring bear would pass in front of him. Bear did a sort of stutter step when he hit the blacktop and ran into the front fender of the Harley. Bear spun around to the left side of the bike hitting the engine guard promptly losing bowel control all over the primary housing and the customer"s left foot! Bear ended up tumbling downhill a bit. Bike went over on it's left side on the engine guard and saddlebag. Customer suffered minor foot injury, no medical treatment required.

Bears not only shit in the woods, given a chance they also shit on a Harley!

Latest posts