FJR vs. Bear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Insurance company said they have never had a motorcycle/bear claim. Guess it's good to be first at something..... Again thanks to all who responded to my post. Gives me lots to chuckle about.
G.
"Insurance company said they have never had a motorcycle/bear claim" - LOL. I'm sure their lawyers are looking hard on where to recover the damages from. I suspect the pot farm owner may have more to worry about than the police. Once the insurance lawyers prove that the bear was intoxicated on his pot causing him to run out in front of you
rolleyes.gif

Thanks all!
Just got back from the doctor. Looks like I will need two surgeries. First with the orthopedic surgeon for the ankle and the second with a plastic surgeon for the hand. Yes it could have been a lot worse...tank top, shorts and sandals!

Bike is fully insured.
Good to hear it wasn't any worse for you Gmann!

JimN

I was wearing Scorpion 3/4 length jacket (excellent), Tourmaster Caliber pants (great pants for reasonable price), Held Nambia gloves (awesome)! My weak link are the Tour Master Solution Air WP Boots and the Scorpion 900 modular helmet. Both will be replaced with something better. I am very lucky that the Scorpion 900 helmet did not fail as I did land on the front of the helmet. The boots need to be way more sturdy in the ankle area.

The Scorpion jacket did not even have a mark on it.

Holee crap. I fear hitting bears and mountain lions. Anything that might get up and exact revenge while you are still trying to put your marbles back together is something I'd rather avoid. I mean, not that I'd want to hit a deer either, but at least I've got a good chance of splitting them in half or killing them. So glad to hear this didn't end up so much worse than it did.
Add moose [really big deer and ornery] to that list

Where I live there are no bears, we mostly just run into people....The conservation officers don't even care.

Dude! I am glad you lived through that one and hope you are back in the saddle soon...I would ride in crowded cities from now on if I was you.

FJRat,

Guess I am much safer riding in Seattle where my girlfriend lives than my quiet local back roads were bears want to be giant black speed bumps!

It's good nothing worse happen, it's called being lucky. I have given up night riding there are too many hidden dangers that can't be seen at night no matter how good or experienced a rider that you are.

As a recent resident on the island, I'll take your experience as a healthy reminder on future local rides. I hit a mainland blacktail a few years back and while the bike required $6000 of repairs, I only received an impaled calf muscle from an antler when the forest rat wrapped itself over the front end after breaking its spine.
Let me know when and if you get some new wheels and maybe you can take me on some good local rides.

It's good nothing worse happen, it's called being lucky. I have given up night riding there are too many hidden dangers that can't be seen at night no matter how good or experienced a rider that you are.
Riding during the day has it's dangers as well.

My nephew had a deer jump out in front of him around 2 in the afternoon on July 4th, he was doing 60mph, no chance to avoid it or slow down-he for sure is lucky as he had no helmet or other protective gear on.

Dislocated a shoulder and road rash on both forearms and hands. He's healing up well all things considered.

I've got @ 2 million miles on the road and hit 3 deer..[with a truck]...all about 2 PM.

So sorry to hear about the bear hunting incident (we tend to use rifles in the 'States, BTW ;) ), but thank goodness you were ATGATTed up. Also thanks for posting--it's good to hear about the good and the bad of motorcycling and know how we can mitigate risk. Heal well!

Thanks to all who responded to my post. Can't believe it has got so much interest. Healing well. Bike is a right-off. Shopping for a new FJR. Why are bikes so darn expensive in Canada? A 2014 FJR out the door is around $21,000. That is 4 to 5 thousand more than the same bike in the U.S. The "A" model only comes in brown. Brown? WTF!

G.

hope your healing well....i find that i'm driving less and less at night for this exact reason...damn animals..

I looked at the Tourmaster WP 2.0 boots and decided on the Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots. Very comfortable, no break in required and so far have proven to be waterproof through 3 Seattle winters seasons. They can be worn year-round but I did buy a pair of the Net Air boot in the non-waterproof version for summer wear, Same full length zipper on the inside and just as comfortable. The Gore-Tex WP boot is being advertised on-sale as a Closeout so there might be some good buys.

Latest posts