FJR vs Connie C10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote Chris

Reaction score
(Uncle Hud suggested I re-post my original post on another part of this forum and he is right so here goes)

Hello, I am Coyote Chris from Spokane. I am 66 years young, have been riding for 50 years and touring for 45, ride about 8,000 miles a year, and currently own a 2010 Honda NT-700v and a 2003 Kawasaki Concours. The Connie is a nice bike but I find in my advanced years, I enjoy the NT (with the big panniers) as a touring bike also as it has great low speed handling, unlike the Connie with a full fuel load and 100 lbs of touring stuff. My old hands can still manage the Connie's clutch although I wouldnt want one much stiffer.....An ST1300 is just too much bike for me, mostly cause it weighs too much.

I have always admired the FJR but I tend to stew about bikes for quite awhile before I purchase them. And I'm not gettting any younger. The left over new 2014's have been speaking to me for a few months now. I really like red bikes. But as you all know by now, the 2016 will have a 6 speed tranny with an "assisted slipper clutch" which is geared taller.

I wish the M/C dealers around the Spokane CDA area had an FJR I could sit on and try the clutch force but everyone is out of them. I would value your opinions on a number of aspects of the bike, especially those of you that have cockpit time in a Kawasaki Concours.

1. Would you say that the FJR feels like it has more low speed stability than the Connie? I get various numbers about how much a wet FJR weighs....mostly around 640-680 lbs. The Connie isnt much more than that but it carries its seven gallons of fuel up high...I have never dumped the Connie in 40,000 miles but like I say, my body isnt getting any younger.

2. How would you charactorize the clutch force of the FJR?

3. If I got an FJR, I would get the canyon cages and the rear bag tip bars and a good soft luggage rack. I am six foot 2 inches and both the Connie and the NT fit me fine...maybe I will need a new wind screen like I have for the NT and the Connie?

4. There is no way I am selling the NT as I love it and as I feel in not too many years, I may need a lighter, smaller bike due old age, so this new bike would help keep the milage off of it....the Connie is a great bike but I would probably let it go as I just wouldnt ride it that much.....and you never know when someone will come up with a sport touring bike I just cant live without....but if anyone has anything to add in favor of the FJR, I would appreciate hearing about it...a number of our seasoned citizens over at the NT forum own and enjoy them....

There are leftover 2014 FJRs still out there but like the 2010 NTs, they will disappear....I probably have some months to make a decision here but not years....thanks to all in advance for your imput!

The old Coyote

I'll bite...

I've ridden a few Connie's - all of the old 1000cc variety, which I believe ended with your 2003 (edit - 2006). The FJR is lighter all around, but it is particularly lighter once you get moving about 20 mph. I find the Connie to be very bulky and the turn in on the FJR handles much better. I think the wind protection on the old Connie is very good, perhaps a bit better than the FJR, so if you are a bad weather rider, keep that in mind. The FJR will have better wind protection than the NT, of course.

I'd characterize the clutches as about equal. I don't find the pull to be hard, but I come from bikes with cable operated clutches. Adjustable handle do help with the pull.

At your height, you will definitely need an aftermarket windscreen for the FJR. You can do research on which one is your best choice - plenty of info on that here.

But there are a ton of more reasons to consider the FJR as a replacement to your old Connie. Fuel Injection, ABS, linked brakes, cruise control, multi-engine modes, adjustable windscreen, seat, fairing, handlebars, suspension, traction control, much larger stator output, etc.etc. etc. etc. etc.

Also, the FJR runs like a bat out of hell. I mean from 2,000 rpm, it will pull like a freight train. You can load it will all of your crap. Bring everything - don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon. And it will still pull like crazy.

Oh - and the red is definitely as good in person as it is on the computer screen. No doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJR

AnnaRawson.jpg

Connie C10

old-woman.jpg

Yeah, it's like that.

I came to my Gen 1 from a 93 c10. Abs and fuel injection makes things much easier. Definitely the Connie has better wind and weather protection. I don't remember he clutch being an issue, but there's some good deals on the fjr ae versions out there. Overall I'm happier with the fjr. The fairing is better built as are the bags. Couple it with not having to mess with the carbs, and you're golden.

By the way Coyote Chris, welcome to the forum! At least you received one serious response before your thread got hijacked. But what a way to get hijacked.

If your 66 years young, get the FJR and enjoy the ride. At 6'2" you will have nothing to worry about. I come to the FJR from an 06 Connie and it was a great move other than slightly less weather protection.

I had a 2000 C10 for 5 years before the FJR and really liked it, except for the heat. I can't handle heat very well.

I like everything on the FJR better except for the Gen 2 fuel injection.

I believe the clutch pull was lighter on the C10 than my '08 FJR, but with the Gen 3s, the pull is much easier, I believe, than the Gen 2 FJR.

I also found the FJR easier on my knees ergonomically.

They haven't made the C10 in a long time, have they? So are you thinking about a Gen II FJR vs. a C10?

I think the Gen II FJR beats the C10 by a country mile. That C10 was pretty clunky.

Compared to the C14, the Gen II or Gen III FJR are different animals ... a bit lighter. I think that although the C14 is may have a sportier motor, that overall the FJR is the sportier bike. Other folks have different opinions.

One thing about an older C14 or C10 is that I'll bet you could get them for less money than an FJR from the comparable year and in comparable condition. None of the these bikes are investments, but the Kawasaki cost less to begin with.

No you dummies. I thought two pictures was worth 2000 words? You completely missed my point.

Here's the translation:

The FJR (of any year or generation) is a sexy, virile nymph of a sport touring bike compared to the old hag C10.

I had a 2001 smurf blue C10 when I bought my '05 FJR. One ride on the FJR made the Connie completely obsolete for me. I couldn't sell it fast enough. Since the OP is using the C10 as a bench mark to his assessment of a new FJR, I'm just pointing out that it is like comparing a modern sexy actress to some old toothless hag.

Whether you want to strap that old hag on, now that is up to you.
wink.png

Pretty apt comparison Fred. I came from a C-10 to my 08 and man, what a difference! On my 3rd FJR.

lnewlf that last post could win you a Donald Trump award. Then again maybe the world needs to be ruled by sexist old white guys with fast motorcycles?

No you dummies. I thought two pictures was worth 2000 words? You completely missed my point. Here's the translation:

The FJR (of any year or generation) is a sexy, virile nymph of a sport touring bike compared to the old hag C10.

I had a 2001 smurf blue C10 when I bought my '05 FJR. One ride on the FJR made the Connie completely obsolete for me. I couldn't sell it fast enough. Since the OP is using the C10 as a bench mark to his assessment of a new FJR, I'm just pointing out that it is like comparing a modern sexy actress to some old toothless hag.
+1

I thought the analogy was right on the money.