FJR vs Connie C10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had forgotten the old balsa wood model planes. I built a few myself, but never had a balsa model of the P-38.

My favorite plane models were the brand new jets, which were ushered after the Korean War. One of my favorites was the F-100 Super Sabre ... what a cool plane.

If you ever get a chance, the USAF Museum at WPAFB is well worth an extended visit if you're an old plane buff.

Regarding my Grandfather's story, it was the drive shaft that had the resonance issues. It sounded like a classic asymmetric stiffness and balance issue, but when he was telling me about it, he was already 40 years past the problem, and maybe he didn't have the details squarely fixed at that point. He was in his 80s and reminiscing. Now, more than 30 years later, I am reminiscing, and maybe I've lost a few details myself.
to_become_senile.gif

On the idea that you might want a lighter bike, too bad this one was never brought to the USA, the Honda CBF1000..........smooth...... but here's one going dirt cheap, about $4000 US.
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CBF1000/Quebec/Quebec/5_25423093_20141223110530810/?ms=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_6

If you want a perty red one, they're out there, with those nice factory bags.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CBF1000/Whitby/Ontario/5_25865126_ON20080312091306937/?ms=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=5_15_6
Wow...I had no idea this bike existed....! Hummmm...I am pretty close to the Canadian Border....Midnight Import!

Wow....I am glad I could jeep both my FJR and my c10. I love them both, for different reasons. Some things folks love about the newer FJR's keep me from upgrading...such as throttle by wore and power modes. To me (and I am in the minority I admit) if you need power modes to handle your bike, get one with less HP.

Also, as far as HP (which a lot of people praise), I have kept up with liter sport bikes on my C10. NOT in a straight run, but as soon as we hit the turns...(Not that I am a Rossi...just a lot of riders have high HP bikes, but a low level of skill).

Like that Honda that is posted. If I was riding one up, I would look at the Kawasaki 1000 ninja. Handles great, very fast, lighter than most sport touring bikes. Only down side for some is chain drive.

SO many good choices.....so little garage space!

Good luck with your quest. You can't go wrong with the FJR BTW.....
smile.png

It's not that anyone needs to have the two drive modes to be able to handle the bike's power. It's that it gives you one bike with two unique personalities. How is that a bad thing? Choices are usually good.

Throttle by wire is not really a "feature." It is more of an enabling technology. It enabled the drive modes (just mentioned), the cruise control (which is totally the cat's ass), and traction control (which I am personally a bit ambivalent about). Of the three features, the TC is the one I care about the least.

The power of the bike isn't all that important when you are strafing corners. The handling and your ability to maintain speed through them is paramount there. But big power sure comes in handy when you want to pass a tractor trailer rig going uphill, fully loaded and 2-up.

You are probably only of the minority opinion because you have had the good financial sense not to ride a 3rd Gen. Whatever you do, do not make the mistake of test riding one. It would be detrimental to your contentedness (or, like me, your bank account).

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need ride by wire for CC but it makes things easier to manage and a tidier electronics package. I remember the CC on carbureted vehicles and as good as we thought it was at the time, modern CC on modern fuel injected vehicles is better in every way.

The same holds true for motorcycles. Going from yesterday's technology to tomorrow's technology is not necessary. But it sure is nice.

Um, FJR. Definitely an FJR....

I'm not too late to vote on this am I?

(It is a poll right?)

The 98se was electronic and not vacuum so it held to a very small drift (+-2 mph?). The big problem was the 78-80 mph limit.

And, as most will admit, there are some things carbs do better... FI has been chasing carb-like throttle response since day one.

The cruise on my GL1800 was near perfect, but things have progressed..... the cruise on my RAM truck is perfect, as I expect the GenIII FJR's are, since they are now using much more precise digital inputs these days.

The 98se was electronic and not vacuum so it held to a very small drift (+-2 mph?). The big problem was the 78-80 mph limit.
And, as most will admit, there are some things carbs do better... FI has been chasing carb-like throttle response since day one.
Until the introduction of the Gen III FJR. This is the first EFI motorcycle I've ever owned and have not had a smoother throttle response. The "T" drive mode is butter smooth (as is the "S" mode but a bit sharper - sill no off-idle lurch).

In contrast the off-idle lurch on my 1979 Yamaha XS1100 (constant velocity carbs) was awful, hated it.

Dan

It's not that anyone needs to have the two drive modes to be able to handle the bike's power. It's that it gives you one bike with two unique personalities. How is that a bad thing? Choices are usually good.
Throttle by wire is not really a "feature." It is more of an enabling technology. It enabled the drive modes (just mentioned), the cruise control (which is totally the cat's ass), and traction control (which I am personally a bit ambivalent about). Of the three features, the TC is the one I care about the least.

The power of the bike isn't all that important when you are strafing corners. The handling and your ability to maintain speed through them is paramount there. But big power sure comes in handy when you want to pass a tractor trailer rig going uphill, fully loaded and 2-up.

You are probably only of the minority opinion because you have had the good financial sense not to ride a 3rd Gen. Whatever you do, do not make the mistake of test riding one. It would be detrimental to your contentedness (or, like me, your bank account).
So, you like a touchy throttle and a soft throttle....I prefer to have a linear throttle response and decide for myself how much I want to use. Again...just my preference.

TBW may be an enabling technology, but it enables features I don't need. I realize a lot of people here love cruise. I have used it, I just don't need it or really have a use for it. My wife and I do a 3 week trip cross country, and spend a total of 4 days on highway. We use the FJR as a sport touring bike!
smile.png
I have never had a problem passing anyone with my c10 either, fully loaded and 2 up, riding through the Rockies. (I realize not as quickly as the FJR would have)

I have actually ridden all but the new FJR. And ridden "against" them. Have not traded up because there was nothing that made it worth it for me. I can still stay right with a Gen 3 with all it's electronic stuff. Now.....the newest one may be harder to ignore....I like that LED lighting.....

I am happy that all these features are out there for the people that want them, I just don't find them necessary for me. I would like a lighter bike that gets better milage, yet can still haul 2 people comfortably. And make all the extras, EXTRAS.....

I don't miss cleaning carbs on a motorcycle one bit. Once my brain, eyes, and hands got "sync'd" to EFI, I've never looked back.

The C/C on my motorcycle is as accurate as any 4-wheeled vehicle I have ever owned.

The TBW on the bike is a bit misleading to me. There still are two cables that control a servo instead of a mechanical cam. So some things associated with cables are still in play (dirtiness, stickiness, breaking cables, etc), although that was never a problem with my Gen 1 FJR.

On the idea that you might want a lighter bike, too bad this one was never brought to the USA, the Honda CBF1000..........smooth...... but here's one going dirt cheap, about $4000 US.
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CBF1000/Quebec/Quebec/5_25423093_20141223110530810/?ms=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_6

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CBF1000/Whitby/Ontario/5_25865126_ON20080312091306937/?ms=motorcycles_atvs&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=5_15_6
Wow...I had no idea this bike existed....! Hummmm...I am pretty close to the Canadian Border....Midnight Import!
I saw one of these a couple of years ago. I really liked the concept. Yes, a gal from Calgary riding it.

As far as importing a Canadian-spec bike into the U.S., know what you're getting into! Not easy and not cheap!

I saw one of these a couple of years ago. I really liked the concept. Yes, a gal from Calgary riding it.

As far as importing a Canadian-spec bike into the U.S., know what you're getting into! Not easy and not cheap!
Yes, lots of stories of people showing up at the border only to find that the bike of their dreams is not eligible for import.

Basically, if the vehicle was sold in both countries and the manufacturer certifies that both models are the same, it can be imported. As an example, KTM wouldn't certify that the US and Canadian bikes were the same, so lots of people got blocked importing US model KTM's into Canada, even though the bikes were identical. KTM just didn't want Canadians buying bikes in the USA.

The US to Canada list is here: https://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx there is probably a similar list on the US side.

On the C10 topic - I had a C10 for 10 years and I don't miss it a bit. I never bonded with that vibey bike (and yes, I tried every trick in the book to smooth it out) and swore off inline fours for years after. My FJR is turbine smooth in comparison and there is no comparison in the power department.

They haven't made the C10 in a long time, have they? So are you thinking about a Gen II FJR vs. a C10?
I think the Gen II FJR beats the C10 by a country mile. That C10 was pretty clunky.

Compared to the C14, the Gen II or Gen III FJR are different animals ... a bit lighter. I think that although the C14 is may have a sportier motor, that overall the FJR is the sportier bike. Other folks have different opinions.

One thing about an older C14 or C10 is that I'll bet you could get them for less money than an FJR from the comparable year and in comparable condition. None of the these bikes are investments, but the Kawasaki cost less to begin with.
Actually, except for power and whiz bang features, the 2010 NT, 2015 Gen III and 2003 C10 arent that all as far apart as you might think. The riding positions are about the same....the C10 might have a bit more weather protection and the NT with the big lids has a bit more pannier room, and of course the GenIII has lots of very nice features like cruise, anti-lock and anti skid, but going down an interstate at 70 mph, they will all do the job.....oh, and they will all fall over nicely at gas stations if you dont pay attention......

Today the motorcycle shops reopenned and the weather was good enough to drive 110 miles to see a 2015 FJR in a showroom.

The short report...I like it!

The Long Report. Found the 2015 FJR parked along side a new Kaw C14 in GREEN. Ugly bike, but no matter, it was a good compare. The FJR looked smaller than the Kaw which was pleasantly surprising. I slung my leg over the F and it was easy to get on. Feet were flat on the ground with room to spare. With the understanding that the tank was probably all but empty, I pitched it left and right a bit….it felt fine…not heavy at all. I paddled around the showroom floor a bit and I had no problem there. The salesperson arrived and after nose sniffing, I asked him to spot me putting the bike on the center stand….I had no issues there at all (but also keeping in mind the fuel load). Sitting on the bike, everything felt fine for my lanky 6’2” frame. In fact, it felt much the same as my NT. I cringed a bit when I worked the clutch but then I put the clutch adjustment to Position 5 and tried it again…it felt fine….no issues…my small hands just needed the adjustment. The salesperson was busier than a one armed paper hanger with crabs and foot fungus, so I just sat on the bike to see how it felt for awhile and checked it out…..no issues. Getting off the bike, my hands couldn’t work the headlight adjusters . Too weak in old age, I guess. I got one to move one direction a bit. I have a tool to remove jar lids, too. I did wonder if it was true that the headlights needed one hour of shop time to replace the bulbs like one guy’s vid said. I checked out the rear wheel removal as I had read the procedure and it looked easier than the NT or the Connie C10. I asked for the key and checked out the pannier space…not as bit as the C10 or NT with the big lids but certainly adequate. I would say that for me, I would need a bigger windscreen, a real luggage rack, and the canyon cages and bag protectors for farkels. My only work now is to sort out what color I really want and how much I want to pay for it, and I think I will have that done by the middlish of next week…..the 2015 “Charcoal” (Really Luftwaffe bluish grey) isn’t at all as bad as I thought it would be in person…but nothing beats red!

Actually, except for power and whiz bang features, the 2010 NT, 2015 Gen III and 2003 C10 arent that all as far apart as you might think.
Isn't this sort of like saying that except for the flavor and the chewing forces required, domestic elk steak isn't that far from wild boar. They'll both beat a snowball at fillin' yer belly.

I know which one I want to actually eat, having had quite a bit of both.
bow_arrow.gif

Chasing? My 05 has had perfect throttle response ever since the day I bought it. Absolutely no issues. As a matter of fact, it's so good, it's significantly better than the carb response that my 91 Suzuki GSX1100G had. Carbs can indeed do some things better: like unreliable starting, being cold blooded, requiring the choke, needing to be drained over the winter, getting gummed up from sitting in the garage too long, and needing to be removed, disassembled and rebuilt from time to time. Yeah, they do SOME THINGS better.

Sorry, we disagree here.

Gary

darksider #44

My thoughts? Get that beautiful red head 2014. It's a work of art and the price should be right.