FJR vs Connie C10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on, Pants, and you forgot all about your old ST13 too. The OP's concerns are similar to what my dilemma was way back when. I wanted the C10 amongst other bikes, couldn't make up my mind, but then a buddy wanted to help me with my dilemma. He told me to drop by and take his ST1100 for a couple of hours. Whoa, pulled like a tractor, smooth, handled nice, nothing to dislike..... now that made up my mind, and that was a much better choice than the C10. It too had the odd size tires. A while later, I decided the electric windshield and slightly better styling were desired so I bought an ST13 without riding one. Whoa again, this wasn't what I was expecting since I had ST11 powertrain on the brain........ I think if I had bought an ST11 back then, I might still have it......

Anyway, S/T bikes are going to be a bit piggish in the weight department (one might give it the top heavy award with a full tank), but the field is narrowing with time. Unfortunately, the S/T market is shrinking and so are manufacturer's offerings.

A while later, I decided the electric windshield and slightly better styling were desired so I bought an ST13 without riding one. Whoa again, this wasn't what I was expecting since I had ST11 powertrain on the brain........ I think if I had bought an ST11 back then, I might still have it......
When the ST1300 replaced the ST1100, some of us who were riding the ST1100s rented an ST1300 from a dealership that had a rental program at the time. We were expecting to fall in love with the ST1300, and we were ready to place orders.

No one ended up placing an order. We were underwhelmed by the ST1300. In fact, the salesman through whom we'd rented the ST1300 had been on an ST1100 for several years, and he had not traded it toward the ST1300, so he had both in his own garage. He had been a friend, and we shared the love for the ST1100.

We talked about it, and he was honestly trying to decide which of the two bikes to sell. Eventually he sold the ST1100, but part of this was that salesmen need to be riding a current model ... it gives a better impression and helps with customers who are wondering whether or not to upgrade.

I've been through a lot of bikes since then, but one of the guys kept his ST1100 and has ridden it for another decade. It is finally so long in the tooth that he bought a 2008 ST1300 a few months back for his two up rides. He has a few other bikes too ... KTM SM/T, VFR 800, maybe some others.

He's been off on a few two up trips on the ST1300, and he is disappointed ... probably just nit picking, but there are things that the ST1100 can do better in his mind (and mine).

Another friend picked up a used GEN I FJR, and he's been happy as a clam.

I don't think the ST1300 was that great an advance, even though on paper, it looked like it would be. This isn't such a bad report for the ST1300, but instead is a testimony to the truly visionary nature of the ST1100. When that bike was introduced as the Pan European, nothing like it had ever existed, except maybe the Black Prince. I always thought that the ST1100 was Honda's Homage to Vincent's finest sport tourer. Those were truly Honda Glory Days.

And, as was mentioned, opinions vary with the opiner. I find the manners of the FJR on the slab to be well sorted. It bucks the wind of an 18-wheeler better than either a bat-win hd or a Wing (with its big hub cover that catches cross winds). I fought many a storm on the FJR and, while I may buffet, the bike stays planted underneath me.

And, as was mentioned, opinions vary with the opiner. I find the manners of the FJR on the slab to be well sorted. It bucks the wind of an 18-wheeler better than either a bat-win hd or a Wing (with its big hub cover that catches cross winds). I fought many a storm on the FJR and, while I may buffet, the bike stays planted underneath me.
I agree. The FJR has been the best in truck wake, and in wind from any direction. Some of my BMWs have been pretty good in truck wake too, but they have been like big pieces of plywood when hit with side gusts.

The best slab bike I've ever ridden is the ST1300 with the stock windscreen and some spacers. Makes the Fjr feel like a dual sport.

Thankfully, I'm not interested in riding the slab at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best slab bike I ever rode is the Gen3 FJR. Riding it back to back with my ST1300, I can say that for me!!! the FJR is hands down better on the interstate. The FJR is not nearly as affected by crosswinds. I tried those goofy spacers on my ST and eventually, happily, removed them.

I loved my ST1300. It was and still is a wonderful bike. I covered a lot of ground on it. I thought it was light years ahead of the ST1100, again that is my opinion. I could have bought a C10 instead of my ST1300. I knew that for me, the ST1300 was the better bike. The Gen3 FJR is better still.

Too bad Yamaha didn't have the foresight to put zerks on the rear suspension links like the C10. We have to suspend our bikes in mid air before we start thinking about lubing those links. Brings to mind Skooter's attempt. C10's were ahead in that area.

So, you like a touchy throttle and a soft throttle....I prefer to have a linear throttle response and decide for myself how much I want to use. Again...just my preference.
I get the sense that you have not actually ridden a 3rd Gen FJR or else you would not have said that. It isn't either of those things on the 3rd Gen FJR. It is a linear and smooth throttle, and you do choose how much of it to use, with your right hand.

Look... if you are happier without any of these features, then I am happy for you. You don't have anything to prove to me or anyone else. But I will tell you that your opinion is the minority one by a very, very large margin. I can't recall a single person who has ridden a 3rd Gen FJR with FbW that thought the throttle control was worse than prior Gens.
I actually have Fred, and I still feel that way. (BTW, not saying it's worse, saying the modes are a waste) Like changing a motocross bike from a 1/2 turn throttle to a 1/4 turn. Bike is the same, just the throttle comes on faster (making in touchy). IF the modes actually changed cam timing, advance, fuel mapping, etc as some vehicles do, then I would have to try that vehicle to see if it is worth it to me. I have not been outrun by a gen 3 FJR using sport mode, I can twist my throttle quick enough. As to sport mode being touchy, again, I have seen the discussion on this forum about that, as well as what I felt. I don't know if it depends on the rider or the individual bike. My gen 1 was touchy, I put a throttle tamer on it. Easier and cheaper than a re-flash.
smile.png

I do understand I am in the minority, as I like driving my MGB more than my friends Corvette. Amazing car, but on the street at anything approaching keeping my license speeds, there is no challenge or skill to drive it. Also love his R1, but again, on the street, way more than needed for me. I look at the proliferation of electronics on everything to cover for lack of skill, or to just entertain, and it just doesn't impress me. Again, glad it's there for folks that want it (and I fully admit that not everyone that likes the stuff is unskilled, so not slighting anyone here!)

A little side note on your comparison of the C10 and FJR....at the time it came out in 1986 or so, the C10 was a sport touring bike as the only competition was the BMW boxer. The difference in HP between the c10 and FJR is easily apparent, and if that is all I want in a bike, I will get a Hybusa and put bags on it. Sport touring, as in everything, is what an individual makes it. I know a few guys my age (55 soon) that ST on sport bikes, and cross country trips are not a big deal to them. To them, my FJR is a pig. I am glad there are a lot of choices, and something to meet everyones needs. Unfortunately, I find people feel they "need" a lot of things for no reason other than they have been told that they need it.

Back to the original poster, Coyote Chris will NOT be disappointed in the FJR!

In contrast the off-idle lurch on my 1979 Yamaha XS1100 (constant velocity carbs) was awful, hated it.
Another 1979 XS1100 owner here. Stolen from me
sad.png
before I learned to hate the issue you bring up
I had that same year XS1000, 'sept sold mine to a guy who promptly crashed it at the drag races. I don't recall an off-idle lurch, but perhaps it's just been too long ago now.
I still have a 1980 XS11. Can't say I remember the problem, but I worked the carbs and have a Supertrapp and some other mods done...and I really can't remember that long ago and that many bikes ago. Bike has 70,000 miles on her now. I DO know her frame was not up to the task of sport touring for me!