FJR vs Cruiser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's possible rent a Harley (or other such cruiser if available) for a weekend; they rent anything they sell, depending on the size of the dealer. That might be a cheaper alternative than buying a used one and attempting to re-sell it.
There are places that rent FJRs. HERE, in Texas, for instance. :w00t:

If it's possible rent a Harley (or other such cruiser if available) for a weekend; they rent anything they sell, depending on the size of the dealer. That might be a cheaper alternative than buying a used one and attempting to re-sell it.
There are places that rent FJRs. HERE, in Texas, for instance. :w00t:
You gotta pay an additional $15 for unlimited mileage....They only include 250 miles per 24 hr rental period....for all their "sportbikes"...

to include the FJR, BMW R1200RT, ST1300, VTX1800 and GoldWing! Right, those are real sportbikes! <G>

Hmmm... takes me 100 miles just to wake up and get breakfast... and another 200-300 to get to lunchtime! <G>

Rates aren't bad tho. The $130 +15 is the same as Las Vegas H-D Harley anything with unlimited mileage.... but of course you can actually GO somewhere out there.<BG>

Mary

I have both. But my cruiser isn't a Harley, or Japanese, it's a Beemer.

All are right when it comes to handling, and power.

But I disagree to the comments on comfort, and safety.

Also both my bikes weigh about the same.

I have really bad knees and the arthritis in them and my shoulders only allows me to put about 600 miles on the FJR.

The Beemer I can ride all day and not have a problem.

If I am going across country on interstates, I will take the Beemer. If am riding Rocky Mountain twisties north or south the FJR is the ride of choice.

My in laws all like Harleys for different reasons. The funniest one, he keeps it in the garage just to look at, and able to say he has one.

You will never regret buying an FJR.

Bob

bikepics-1155692-full.jpg

Handles Great???? :dribble:

Cruisers are actually -- un-safe. Un-safe in the way that pick-up trucks, 4X4s, and SUVs are un-safe -- things like high center of gravity and wheelbase/track/ suspension issues. (Early Sport-Utes even had a disclaimer on the driver's visor saying not to use them on-highway) Due to the clamor (in America) by the populace to purchase these vehicles, factories have been obliged to build-in band-aids (anti-crash computer systems, for instance) so the public can get down the road with some sort of acceptable adequacy.

In the Cruiser's case, the built-in handling accommodations -- for styling's sake -- compromise road safety; but, because it's only a motorcycle no-one's looking. Or, are just un-willing to take-on H-D and the AMA?

People get hurt and killed on all motorcycles by not being able to properly negotiate a curve (and run wide, cross the center-line or go off the road, often colliding with a fixed object) -- (no.1 single vehicle m/c statistic). Yes, many times, operator error. But, with a cruiser, the limited ground clearance (along w/rider posture, controls location, wheel/tire size, etc) enhances the problem -- to the point that the equipment actually causes the crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruisers are actually -- un-safe. Un-safe in the way that pick-up trucks, 4X4s, and SUVs are un-safe -- things like high center of gravity and wheelbase/track/ suspension issues. (Early Sport-Utes even had a disclaimer on the driver's visor saying not to use them on-highway)...
So true! Back in the early 90s, my friend's Suzuki Sidekick had a sticker on the door that said something like, "Caution, do not turn this vehicle at speeds greater than 47mph." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cruiser vs FJR

FJR is not a cruiser (thank god) it´s a Sport Touring bike and if you want comfort and be able to make long rides then the FJR is good. Good looking, sporty with lots of carisma. I think (thats wy I bought mine) that it´s the most good looking. If you want moore comfort perhaps the Goldwing could be an alternative?

Personally I think it´s too big and ugly but I also think it has moore comfort. The FJR is not "painful" during long rides. I think a cruiser would be worse.

Me and Susan drove to Oslo from Gothenburg. A one day trip (654 km). Left Gothenburg at 09.00 in the morning and got back 21.00

We had a nice day (couple of hours) in Oslo and then we went back.

I dont think that we would have been able to do that trip on a cruiser...

Hope you´ll find the bike that suits you. I would test drive several options just to find out what suits me and what I will use the bike for. Long trips or what....

https://fjr-sweden.spaces.live.com

Regards

Juha

So true! Back in the early 90s, my friend's Suzuki Sidekick had a sticker on the door that said something like, "Caution, do not turn this vehicle at speeds greater than 47mph." :lol: :lol: :lol:
That sticker was right above the one that said:

Caution: If you are a single man, do not be seen driving this vehicle around pretty girls.

:rolleyes: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any stats that show the single bike accidents, doesn't have to be death, between sport bikes, cruisers, touring bikes, and

Enduro style bikes?

I have read the Hurt study and heard there was another being done, but know of no other.

Every year we have many MC accidents on the roads here, and I don't see one type of bike standing out as safer than another.

Straight line stopping I can slam my cruisers front brake and not worry if I will do a stoppy. Remember I have a BMW Montauk, Fully sequential ABS, I can't say that for the sport bikes.

Matter of fact our local motorcycle safety instructor who rides a Harley, lost his daughter in a single motorcycle accident, she was on a Honda CBR600RR. She road motorcycles all her life, she was an accomplished racer, and she worked as an EMT at the local hospital.

According to the father, she for what ever reason, hit the front brake, went over the top, the bike flew up enough that it with full force crushed her helmet and killed her. His conclusion is there is a design flaw in sport bikes that allow this instability while stopping.

This was told to my son, when he was talking the her father about getting a CBR600RR.

The same son showed me he could do a stoppy on the FJR the very first day we had it.

The only type of bike I don't see having a lot of accidents, are Enduro style bikes, BMW, KTM, Huskies, etc. Must be that gravel and dirt is more forgiving when you lay it down.

I have been told many times there is no one perfect bike.

Bob