• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FJRandy's plug 'n' play horn harness UPDATE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Randy's harness installed and it is working great after several years.

Randy, an unsolicited suggestion or two to improve on your product.

1. The length of the wire from the relay to the battery leaves very little room on where to tuck the relay. I ended up squeezing it behind the panel, but I use a small cup of cuss words every time I need to get in there to get at the battery. There's a bit more room behind the headlights, but this requires a longer lead of wire from the battery to the relay.

2. The gauge of wire from the relay to the battery is pretty thick, probably a bit more than necessary? A slightly lower gauge would make the wiring less unwieldy to route to the battery. If you have lotsa farkles like I do, the room for thick wires is pretty much non-existent.

Hope this feedback helps.

Hudson, did you see the pic of how the relay is supposed to be mounted? Just curious. It was posted way back in '05 or '06. Maybe you have it in the wrong spot? It attaches to the right side fairing frame, away from the battery. I haven't had anyone give me any other feedback on it so not quite sure about that one. The harness relay was made to mount high and out of the way. Kind of right next to where the right side mirror mounts to the frame. Wire routing is critical. Also the power lead is 10ga to match the double 14 ga output wires. If I use a smaller fuse wire it would defeat the purpose of "heavy duty". Always remember...same size in, same size (or equivalent) out. I will admit it really does have to be tucked in tight to keep access to everything else.

I have the Stebel compact nautilus on mine, but I made it two pieces. Horn on the left, and compressor on the right joined by a piece of fuel line. There isn't any "good" place to mount the entire unit properly because the forks hit it. Email me and I'll send you pics of the install. [email protected]

Does anyone have any pics of the horns installed? I have searched for places to mount and nothing seems to jump out at me where an after market horn could be located. I was looking at the Walo Bad boy horn.

https://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm
Mudder, Wolo is around the corner from me and one day as I was passing by I just popped in. Factory only, no retail but the secretary sold me a set of either these or these (would have to go out and look). They're plenty loud IMO, have been on the bike for at least six years without any issues, and I think they bolted right in place of the originals although I might have had to trim the inner plastic just a bit. Liked them enough that when a horn went out on my truck I replaced it with one of them also and immediately noticed the sound increase from under the hood. For the difference in price and effort these might serve you well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those horns are basically the same as Stebel Magnum Blasters. Not near as loud as that airhorn. I did tests back in '06 and posted everything here. For the life of me I can't find it anymore.

I installed a pair of freeway blasters and Randy's harness this past week and I gotta say its a huge improvement over stock. The install was very easy and the communication with Randy was informative and timely. On a ride yesterday i was passing a semi on the freeway when he started to drift in my lane I layed on the horn and he quickly got back into his lane. I feel much safer knowing that I have LOUD horns when needed. And as a side benifit my harley buddies can't laugh at my wimpy horn any more. But they'd have to catch up in order to do that anyway.

Thanks Randy and ride safe!!!

Latest posts