FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C – replaced with APE Manual tensioner
Congratulations...you're APEsider #3!

Now yer ballz iz gonnuh fall oft. :p

(but yer Feej will be quiet!)

My balls will NOT fall off. That's because I make sure my 9/16" NUT IS TIGHT !!

Why ASE nut on a metric bike, I don't know. But that's ok. I now carry a 9/16" open end in my tool roll.

No cam chain noise here - BUT - had it replaced @ 48,000, just in case, and other work was being performed at that time. Sooooo .....

A – 2003

B – No Sign

C – Replaced by dealer while other work was being performed. New type CCT

D – No noise to start with

E – N/A

F – N/A

G – No additional days

H – N/A

I – 48 thousand

J – No noise

K - N/A

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, Rog.

No noise, replaced at > 40 k miles (forget exact mileage) when it was in diddling with other stuff.

I stuck in the new type CCT and it made me feel way more better than the $70 it cost me.

I call that cost effective recreational maintenance! ;)

Same here, Rog.

No noise, replaced at > 40 k miles (forget exact mileage) when it was in diddling with other stuff.

I stuck in the new type CCT and it made me feel way more better than the $70 it cost me.

I call that cost effective recreational maintenance! ;)
For sure Fred --- another thing NOT to worry over :)

A – the model year of your FJR 2004

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent 50,000 m

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage Tried myself, failed, then took to Dealer, 62,000

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise Not significantly but improved

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics No

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement No

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days 2 hrs

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S No

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements No

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal Randomly, cold starts

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design New model,Confident

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise Not significantly but improved
I'm a bit confused. The new CCT did NOT reduce the chain noise significantly? :unsure:

If so, then the noise isn't the timing chain, or else they put it in wrong.

A – the model year of your FJR 2004

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent 35K

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage Local shop (not dealer) replaced

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise Yes

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics No...self diagnosis

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement No

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days 1

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S Beyond Y.E.S. coverage period

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements No

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal Began immediately after an oil change

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design Confident in redesign. If nothing else, can't be worse than the original and bike will probably be gone before I see another 35K miles.

A 2004

B 66k

C Had dealer replace cct, and chain at 70k

D Yes

E fellow FJR riders Rick Corwine, Scooter G, Bungie and Galexy Blue at SWFOG

F No

G Dealer 2 days including valve adjust

H I paid for it- out of warranty

I No

J just started on it's own

K N/A

Just a side note. I had noticed much more vibration in the bars and pegs. A TBS at 4k helped. After the cct and valve adjust the bike runs smoother than in years- nice.

If you wish to participate in the survey, please indicate

A – 2007

B – 70,000 , no noise

C – replaced myself during valve check as a precautionary measure.

D –

E –

F –

G –

H –

I – once

J –

K - The new design is improved. I would like to see a racheting mechanism in it to prevent it from retracting if the spring breaks.

A – the model year of your FJR

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage

Dealer replace at 23k

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise

Don't know. Still at the dealer, awaiting a 500$ bail out. (Getting valved done and a few other things while it is opened up)

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics

I went in with an idea after reading the forum. Dealer varified. Roseville Yamaha, Roseville, CA. (No other dealer will work on my bike, top notch)

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement

Nope, cought it early enough

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days

Goin on 3 but with other work as well. (1 day part on order)

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S

No yes warrenty. Cash money.

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements

First time

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal

It was random. Only came apparent after bike was started cold and let idle to warm up. Noise would go away after I road it for a bit. Couldn't reproduce once engine wat hot. (Weird)

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design

We will see.

A – the model year of your FJR

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent

102,000 Kms

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage. Replaced myself at 105,000kms

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise

Not sure yet, as I have not re-assembled the bike. I do anticipate success however.

E –

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement

No

G –

H –

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements

First time

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal

It was random. Only came apparent after bike was started cold and let idle to warm up. Noise would go away after I road it for a bit. Couldn't reproduce once engine was hot.

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design

I hope so :)

I am not the type of guy that thinks the sky is falling. But here is something else to think about.

How about the cam chain itself getting longer and the new replaced adjuster no longer able to put enough tension on the cam to quiet it down.

I know of a few Yamaha XS11's back in the day had there cam chain replaced because it got to long.

I am not the type of guy that thinks the sky is falling. But here is something else to think about.

How about the cam chain itself getting longer and the new replaced adjuster no longer able to put enough tension on the cam to quiet it down.

I know of a few Yamaha XS11's back in the day had there cam chain replaced because it got to long.
You have a point. I thought of the chain, and in hindsight I am wishing I ordered one of them ($20). However, I was surprised at the difference in tension between the old CCT and the new one. I could practically push the old one in by hand. The next time I do a valve check I will replace the chain I think.

It'd be interesting to know how much a worn chain has "stretched" in XXX,000 miles. Being that it is bathed in oil and sealed from the elements, I wouldn't expect it to have worn all that much. I'd bet that more of the slack that the CCT has to make up is from the chain guides wearing than the chain itself.

Hopefully not muddying up your thread, but fwiw cbrs have the same cct issues, best way to handle it is to replace it with a manual tensioner at the first sign of timing chain noise which is really noticeable when it occurs and from then on all it takes is a quick turn on that manual adjuster as the chain guides wear down creating slack and noise.

...best way to handle it is to replace it with a manual tensioner at the first sign of timing chain noise which is really noticeable when it occurs and from then on all it takes is a quick turn on that manual adjuster as the chain guides wear down creating slack and noise.
There have been no reported problems with Yamaha's redesigned auto adjusting CCT. If you order a FJR CCT, all you will get is the new part regardless of what P/N you ordered.

I understand your point, but I would argue that a manually adjusted tensioner is not necessarily the "best" solution, at least not for everyone. It requires the owner to be diligent about listening for the noise, and then capable of making the adjustment without screwing it up. One false turn of the adjuster screw while the engine is running can introduce enough slack in an already slack chain to jump a tooth with catastrophic results.

IMO, a better solution would be an improved, more reliable automatic tensioner design. After having fondled both the older and newer design type of FJR CCT's I think Yamaha may have quietly already done this. We should definitely keep an ear to the ground for any failing new style CCTs, but I don't think there have been any yet. It may just be too soon to know for sure.

[edit] seems while;e I was typing away, ionbeam beat me to the punch. Nice to know that we think along the same lines... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly good to know, and as always different strokes, and I sometimes forget that not everyone has the same level of mechanical aptitude, definitely makes sense to go with the auto cct for those not sure or unfamiliar with how it should sound and the correct level of tension needed.
wink.gif