FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly good to know, and as always different strokes, and I sometimes forget that not everyone has the same level of mechanical aptitude, definitely makes sense to go with the auto cct for those not sure or unfamiliar with how it should sound and the correct level of tension needed.
wink.gif
And there's probably plenty of us that have mechanical aptitude, but would prefer having an automatic system (provided it works reliably). I know how to adjust points, but there's no way I'm gonna replace the electronic ignition on my FJR with a set! ;)

Certainly good to know, and as always different strokes, and I sometimes forget that not everyone has the same level of mechanical aptitude, definitely makes sense to go with the auto cct for those not sure or unfamiliar with how it should sound and the correct level of tension needed.
wink.gif
And there's probably plenty of us that have mechanical aptitude, but would prefer having an automatic system (provided it works reliably). I know how to adjust points, but there's no way I'm gonna replace the electronic ignition on my FJR with a set! ;)

They make point ignition systems for FJRs?, whodathunkit?!!

A – the model year of your FJR 2007

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent - no real noise (perhaps a bit loud when cold) & have 29,280 on the clock

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage -- changed the CCT by my mechanic

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise -- ok so far

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics -- No

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement -- No

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days -- work done when I had valves checked and other things done

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S -- No

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements No

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal -- Randomly, cold starts

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design New model -- we will see how things go with the new Yamaha design

A – '06 AE

B – no apparent noise, changed out as a preventative measure.

C – replaced CCT myself at 50,000 km (30,000 miles)

D – N/A

E – N/A

F – N/A

G – N/A

H – paid for CCT out of pocket. There is no Y.E.S. program in Canada

I – first time

J – N/A

K - Using redesigned model.

A – the model year of your FJR 2008

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent - about 31,000

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage -- talked with a mechanic at one dealer he said change the oil, 17K latter and a few oil changes still making noise took it to another dealer, they have the parts on order now.

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise -- Find out next weekProblem fixed

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics -- Eventually, I told both dealers what the problem was. Moon Motors finally listened.

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement -- Not that I have heard. No

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days -- 48,600 on it now first valve check for the bike and the valves were fine no adjustment necessary, dealer had bike for 2 weeks

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S -- YES is covering it.

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements- No

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal -- Randomly, only noticeable at low idle.

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design New model -- will try the Yamaha one see how that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
A – the model year of your FJR 2005

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent 18,500 I did it just becasue (experience form last 2005) no real noise I could hear; however, it did become even more quiet.

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage I did it myself again, 18,500, see above.

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise YES!

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics No

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement N/AG – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days N/A

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S N/A

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements No

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal N/A see "B" above

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design Yes, I feel Yamaha has a sufficient fix

So what's the compiled data look like Howie?

The preliminary data indicates replacing the CCT is becoming a "popular" repair, with apparently good success.

Also, the amount of disastrous failures is low, and it may be that only Brodie and I are running APE manual adjusters.

A – the model year of your FJR 2004

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent 25000

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage Dealer at 47200 miles along with a valve check

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise YES!

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics No

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement None

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days 1 day

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S N/A

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal Randomly

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design Mine is now quiet so Yamaha did a good job

The preliminary data indicates replacing the CCT is becoming a "popular" repair, with apparently good success.

Also, the amount of disastrous failures is low, and it may be that only Brodie and I are running APE manual adjusters.
Add me to that - APE installed.

A- '05 ABS

B- 30,000...No noise, replacement done as a maintenance item

C- Took it to a local engine builder

D- Actually, replacing the CCT led to a shitload of other problems, it skipped a tooth and wasn't noticed until I got it home.

E-H- N/A

I- Just once

J- N/A

K- The redesign appears to be adequate so far

I just replaced mine for the second time. This was at 90k miles and I did get the new stye with the blue dot this time.

A - 2005

B - 90K miles

C - I recognized the noise as soon as it started this time around. I had replaced the CCT once already, at 67K miles but the part had not been redesigned yet at that time

D - Replacement of CCT solved the problem, hopefully for good this time.

E - No - I don't let the dealer near my bikes

F - No problems other than the noise

G - N/A - replaced it myself

H - No - I don't have YES and I didn't ask Yamaha for help

I - This is the second one, the first was at 67K miles and now at 90K miles.

J - Chain noise began when cold

K - I went with the redesigned Yamaha one so I won't have to manually adjust, ever. And, I hope this one will last the life of the bike.

A – 2004

B – Was always quiet, changed as part of a 'ticker' repair at my request, along with cam chain.

C – Dealer did the work at the same time as tick repair, approx. 50,000km (35,000Mi)

D – N/A

E – Work performed by RL Equipment.

F – N/A

G – 3 weeks, dealer was told to take their time as it was pre-season.

H – CCT Paid for out of pocket by me, Ticker repair Yamaha covered parts/machining. Out of extended Warranty.

I – No

J – N/A

K - New CCT is blue dot. 50,000km later, CCT is still quiet.

A – the model year of your FJR: 2005

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent: ~34K

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage: Dealer replaced under Y.E.S. at 38K with "blue dot" unit.

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise: Yes, less whine at speed and eliminated the diesel-like rattle at idle

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics: Self-diagnosed and noise demo'd to dealer (GP Sports in San Jose, CA)who agreed the CCT was faulty.

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement: None

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days: 1 day

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S: covered under Y.E.S.

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal: Began randomly and steadily grew worse

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design: Has been fine, er has not made noise since replacement ~16K ago

A – 2004

B – 16,000

C – Had dealer change it and the chain .

D – Yes

E – I knew that this model had a chance for the problem. Bike was in for 16,000 mile service and mech mentions noise in area and to watch and see if it got worse. Did not wait, ordered parts and had them replace at 16,600.

F – no

G – Dropped of on a Saturday with expectation of pick up the next Saturday and it was ready by Tuesday. Picked up next Saturday

H – My dollar. Did not even try for warranty.

I – no

J – Do not know . Dealer did all the work

K - Used updated Yamaha part. Confident it will be fine.

Later

Scooper

A – the model year of your FJR - 2007.

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent - NA, I did this as preventative maintenance.

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage - Did the work myself at 46K miles.

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise - Didn’t really have chain noise that I could hear, but the engine did smooth eith the addition of the "bluedot" CCT.

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics - NA.

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement - NA.

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days - NA.

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S - No.

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements - No, this is the first time.

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal - NA.

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design - I will be using the Yamaha “bluedot” replacement/redesign for now.

A – the model year of your FJR -2004ABS

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent - 48K MILES

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage - FELLOW FJR FORUM MEMBER REPLACED CCT AT 48K MILES - JUST PRIOR TO 7000 MILE TRIP.

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise - YES

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics -NO, DIAGNOSED GIVEN SYMPTOMS ILLUMINATED ON THE FJRFORUM

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement - NO

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days - N/A

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S - NO

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements - NO

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal - RANDOMLY

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design - CONFIDENT IN REDESIGN. CCT SPRING WAS MANY TIMES STIFFER THAN ORIGINAL CCT SPRING...LIKE NIGHT AND DAY.

A – the model year of your FJR - 2007

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent - 50,000 but no noise (preventative maintenance)

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage - replaced it myself

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise - no noise (see above)

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics - (see above)

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement - no

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days - N/A

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S - N/A

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements - no

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal - N/A

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design - Yes, until I hear otherwise