FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll add to this since I replaced the CCT on my wife's FJR late last year. Thankfully my 05' hasn't had any problems at all.

A – the model year of your FJR - 2004

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent - Unsure of the first two times (yes you read that right, 2x) 3rd time was at 41k

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage - First and second were replaced by different dealers according to the PO's repair log (mileage wasn't in the log). Third CCT replacement I did myself @41k.

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise - Certainly did

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics - First two times were both discovered by the PO. Third time was discovered by myself.

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement - Thankfully no in all three instances

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days - NA

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S - According to the PO's log, it was out of pocket the first two times as was the third.

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements - Yes, 3 times, unknown mileage the first two, third time was at 41k

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal - All three times were at random.

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design - The third replacement was with the redesigned CCT, the first two were before the redesign. I feel confident in the redesign, however, only time will tell.

Last edited:
The problem was diagnosed by self after chain tensioner failed following valve adjustment, and on initial start up. Yes, the CCT was installed and released properly. Prior to installation it was checked for freedom of release and spring tension. – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics

16 bent valves, minor witness mark of valve/piston contact. New cylinder head was purchased and built up by Metric Motorcycles of HOuston TX. – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement
First off, sorry for your problems. But I'm a bit confused by your report. You seem to be saying that you removed and replaced the CCT during a valve adjustment and tested that it was functioning properly, but then when you started the bike you bent all of your valves. Was this really a case of a failed CCT (ie the CCT allowed the chain to go slack on startup?) or did you perhaps have the cams mis-timed after the valve adjust?

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent - Unsure of the first two times (yes you read that right, 2x) 3rd time was at 41k

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage - First and second were replaced by different dealers according to the PO's repair log (mileage wasn't in the log). Third CCT replacement I did myself @41k.

Important question: We'll never know about the first replacement CCT, but did the CCT that you just removed have the blue dot on it (new style part)? Those of us that are hoping that the new style CCT is better would be interested to know if any of them have started to lose tension and get noisy.

Absolutely a failure - Was this really a case of a failed CCT (ie the CCT allowed the chain to go slack on startup?)

Absolutely not - or did you perhaps have the cams mis-timed after the valve adjust?

A – the model year Gen 1, 2005

B – the number of miles 35,000

C – what action did you take, Once convinced it was the CCT, I stopped riding it "hard" and have now basically stopped riding it period. I have the new parts on order and Brian Bailey is going to help me install.

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., I'm sure it will.

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, NO I learned what to listen for from you guys.

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, None

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, n/a

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S: N/A

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements: N/A

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal, um' possibly, I had a valve adjustment done at 30K.

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design, I'll go with the new spring loaded one. Brian Bailey showed me a new and an old one and the difference was very noticeable.

A – 2005

B – 75,000

C – bought tensioner to install myself, had it replaced with new chain by Roseville Yamaha at 80k miles

D – no noise after repair

E – Brodie pointed out the noise while on a group ride, I am deaf and wear ear speakers when riding.

F – no other problems

G – repair while in shop for crash repairs

H – I paid

I – only replacement so far, 1000 miles ago

J – NA

K - new factory design ok, not interested in manual adjuster.

A – 2003
B – 25000

C – Returned to the Dealer I purchased the bike from last Friday.
D – I dont know yet, will update once bike is out of the shop.
E – Diagnosed by RideNow Powersports on Boulder in Las Vegas, Nevada
F – Not that has been diagnosed.

G – They are estimating 2-7 days depending on how quickly they can get a new CCT

H – Not sure yet, I have extended warranty if Yamaha doesn't pay for it.
I – No documented replacement on the bike.
J – Began after riding to work, warm bike, no noise at startup, no noise until i exited the freeway
K - The dealer is reccomending OEM replacement.

A – 2006

B – Unknown, did not pay attention but I did hear it at 38,000

C – Replaced CCT with revised part in 3 hours

D – The motor got quieter on the right side

F – no

I – No

J – Random and it still was not loud. Only replaced due to fear of failure, and new part was quieter

K - The new spring seems to be stronger than the old one

A – the model year of your FJR: 2005

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent: No noise issues

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage: proactively changed CCT at 54,000 miles

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise: No noise issue

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics; No

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement: No

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days: No

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S: No

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements: No

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal
: No

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design: redesign is fine

A 2006AE

B 120k

C ignored noise until it grew worse. Had dealer replace at 159k miles.

D dealer replaced CCT and noise went away.

E problem diagnosed by Mach 1 Motorsport, Valejo CA. I dropped off bike asking them to investigate suspected cam chain noise. They inspected chain & sprockets and found them to be in good condition. They investigated Yamaha tech notices and found a new tensioner redesign was resolving cam chain noise complaints. I did not get the number of the tech notice addressing this problem.

F there were no other problems related to the CCT noise.

G 5 days total for dealer to inspect, research, order/receive part, install.

H No Y.E.S coverage purchased with bike, all work and parts paid by owner.

I no. First time part has been replaced.

J randomly

K - confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient

A – 2008

B – 40,000

C – Replaced it myself with A.P.E. manual tensioner.

D – noise is gone.

E – no

F – no

G – n/a

H – out of pocket

I – only once 20,000 miles on new one

J – noise began randomly, cold starts

K - I don't trust any tensioner with out a ratcheting pawl

A – 2008
B – 40,000

C – Replaced it myself with A.P.E. manual tensioner.

D – noise is gone.

E – no

F – no

G – n/a

H – out of pocket

I – only once 20,000 miles on new one

J – noise began randomly, cold starts

K - I don't trust any tensioner with out a ratcheting pawl
GOOD answer!!

Question directly related to this poll and the last few posts:

Do we have any record of anyone having one of the new blue/green dot CCTs that failed?

I thought all the 08's were of the blue dot revision. I went out to the shed for a peek at my old one. No dot.

Mine hadn't failed yet, just the first signs of noise.

There must be some reason they superseded to a green dot version.

Question directly related to this poll and the last few posts:
Do we have any record of anyone having one of the new blue/green dot CCTs that failed?
None that I'm aware of, Fred.

I thought all the 08's were of the blue dot revision. I went out to the shed for a peek at my old one. No dot.Mine hadn't failed yet, just the first signs of noise.

There must be some reason they superseded to a green dot version.
Maybe the generosity of the forum could get a non-dot, blue-dot and green-dot tensionser to Professor Ionbeam for a looksee.

FYI, as posted elsewhere, the revision took place sometime in `07. I personally have touched a revised one with no dot, so we know they are out there........ I have no info on blue vs. green dot........

Howie, do you still have yours? How many adjustments so far? I put mine on my replacement AE last summer and it hasn't needed to be adjusted yet - about 20k best guestimate without looking it up.
Brodie

Thread resurrection time....

Brodie, 4 years, 8 months and 40,000+ miles later, still using the APE manual you graciously sent me...

NO adjustment needed since install!!! Making sure the initial setting was "tight enough" and not too tight, there's been NO change in the chain tension, which I believe says a lot about not overdoing the tightness, preventing chain "stretch", and the quality of both the Yamaha OEM chain and the design/materials of the chain slippers.

A – 2006 AE, original OEM CCT

B – some noise at around 120000 km (around 72000 mi), much worse following the valve adjustment at 131,000 kms. During that check (third one on the bike) one valve required shimming - first time any valve has been out of spec.

C – at this point nothing - dealer tech said tensioner was ok but chain was stretched and should be replaced... not entirely confident in that diagnosis... Debating replacing the chain and tensioner together for peace of mind, but unsure.

D – n/a (see C)

E – dealer (ProAm in Calgary) didn't think problem was CCT (see C).

F – not failed (yet...)

G – N/A

H – when the work is done it'll be outside of warranty (my dime)

I – N/A still on original OEM CCT

J – started gradually over the last year, but now much worse after the last valve check.

K - still looking at the options. I'll probably go with OEM.

Would be nice to have a simple (ish) way of determining whether it IS the CCT or whether (as the tech said). Seems more likely to me that the problem is the CCT rather than the chain - they should last the life of the engine. Knowing what the consequences are if it fails I'm a bit skittish of riding the thing any distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be nice to have a simple (ish) way of determining whether it IS the CCT or whether (as the tech said) I'll need to change out the chain. Knowing what the consequences are if it fails I'm a bit skittish of riding the thing any distance.
Chain is $32 and CCT is $83 (+$1.28 for the gasket). https://www.yamahasportscenter.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4713640&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2006&fveh=203602

If there is any doubt, just do both. If you can do it yourself, there isn't much cost. You might also need a timing cover gasket for another $7.