FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be nice to have a simple (ish) way of determining whether it IS the CCT or whether (as the tech said). Seems more likely to me that the problem is the CCT rather than the chain - they should last the life of the engine. Knowing what the consequences are if it fails I'm a bit skittish of riding the thing any distance.
Here's the way I see it...IF the CCT was doing its job the way it's intended, it would take up the slack from a worn chain. The problem is the OEM CCT, before the re-design in '08, is just too weak to keep up with the inevitable wear. And the telling thing to me is that the noise became "much worse after valve adjustment" as you stated. That's because the CCT had to be wound up tight to loosen the chain to remove the cams. Upon return to normal use, it no longer has the spring tension to maintain proper force against the chain to keep it quiet.

I'd seriously recommend upgrading to the latest iteration of Yamaha's OEM CCT, at the least, and at the earliest possible convenience. I agree with Ross suggesting R&R'ing the chain at the same time...more for peace of mind than the probable need for a new chain. It's cheap, and fairly simple to replace. In for a penny, in for a pound as the old saying goes. You do NOT want to continue running with a noisy chain...that's tempting fate and courting disaster.

And for a complete step-by-step for replacing the chain, with lots of pics, look here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the way I see it...IF the CCT was doing its job the way it's intended, it would take up the slack from a worn chain. The problem is the OEM CCT, before the re-design in '08, is just too weak to keep up with the inevitable wear. And the telling thing to me is that the noise became "much worse after valve adjustment" as you stated. That's because the CCT had to be wound up tight to loosen the chain to remove the cams. Upon return to normal use, it no longer has the spring tension to maintain proper force against the chain to keep it quiet.
I'd seriously recommend upgrading to the latest iteration of Yamaha's OEM CCT, at the least, and at the earliest possible convenience. I agree with Ross suggesting R&R'ing the chain at the same time...more for peace of mind than the probable need for a new chain. It's cheap, and fairly simple to replace. In for a penny, in for a pound as the old saying goes. You do NOT want to continue running with a noisy chain...that's tempting fate and courting disaster.

And for a complete step-by-step for replacing the chain, with lots of pics, look here.

Yep, that's the approach I'm taking. Parts are on order. Great pictorial for the re and re Howie, I'll definitely be referring to that when I get the wrenches out.

Griff

I'd venture to say that at 130,000 kms you do not need a chain...... you should however upgrade to the latest version of CCT if the original is still in there, and I would do that at your earliest convenience.

I'd venture to say that at 130,000 kms you do not need a chain...... you should however upgrade to the latest version of CCT if the original is still in there, and I would do that at your earliest convenience.
You're probably right about the chain Ray... but it's not a ton of dough and I'll be in there anyway. Parts are ordered, will get to it after I get back from Labrador on the KLR.

Griff

Only 49K on my '05 but I've got a new CTT on order with Partzilla..... I can hear some faint CC rattle in the morning but it's quiet when hot. Will just play it safe and replace it.

Mr. BR

A – 2006 AE
B – 30k
C – Put it on my to do list and listened for any increased noise.

D – Seems to have silenced it, only run in the garage so far, but noticeably quieter.
E – Self diagnosed, had the same issue on the cbr.

F – No related issues.

G – Replaced myself.

H – No warranty coverage.

I – First replacement.

J – Started around 18k, became slightly louder over time.

K - Went with the redesign, noticeably more tension than the OE tensioner.

Just want to offer a tip on removal/installation; a 1/4" drive Matco u-joint type swivel socket on a 6" extension works smooth as butter on both mounting bolts, until the last few threads which than can then be done with a magnet or finger and a long thin screwdriver to turn the bolt on it's edges.

Thanks to the author of the tutorial with pics, knew exactly what to expect.

A - 2003

B - 25,000

C - Replaced CCT myself

D - Yes

E - No

F - No

G - No

H - No

I - No

J - Randomly

K - I'm confident in the redesign

A - 2008

B - 32000

C - Did it myself

D - No noise to start with

E - No

F - All 16 valves bent

G- N/A

H - Yamaha didn't want to know, wouldn't even admit there was an upgraded CCT, said they knew nothing about any blue dot but when new one arrived it had a green dot

I - No

J - N/A

K - Undecided

PS. This was a friends bike, mine is a 2009 so have put it on the to do list.

I have read through most of this thread and find it very interesting. Can somebody tell me what year they did the design upgrade? IOW, 2009 and after does not have this problem. The newest I remember seeing is a 2008.

Also, what kind of expense can I expect from the shop to do the repair? Some numbers were posted, but that was a few years ago.

If there has been a change in the standard CCT placed in our bikes from the factory to the stiffer CCT, I may have missed that thread...

...gonna go look at the model matrix right now to see if it is listed there...

EDIT: The comparison matrix states that all the models still have issue with CCT not being strong enough, so I can only take that to mean that the new bikes are not issued with the stiffer, blue dot replacement CCTs.

-Which makes NO sense at all-

Also, what kind of expense can I expect from the shop to do the repair? Some numbers were posted, but that was a few years ago.
Question: To do "which" repair? Replacement of the CCT? Or rebuilding the head because your CCT failed and trashed the valves?

BIG difference!
omg2.gif

Question: To do "which" repair? Replacement of the CCT? Or rebuilding the head because your CCT failed and trashed the valves?

BIG difference!
omg2.gif
Just the CCT. I am looking to buy used and I want to factor in all the possibilities.

BTW--thanks for the help.

Buy a USED CCT????? I've got one I'll sell ya for $1.

SOLD! Paypal okay?

I figure the infamous RadioHowie failed CCT should become a revolving award at the EOM.

I'm sure we can figure out a good back story for the trophy, and proper conditions for winning it.

DSC_0744_05-05-2014.jpg

It should go to the attendee who has had the most disastrous mechanical issue over the past year.

Of course, this being an FJR event with 100 or so bikes, it may go un-awarded some years...
wink.png

How am i suppose to get a new 2015 if I don't grenade the engine in my 2008. Dastardly plan I know. Don't tell the wife.

Dave

How am i suppose to get a new 2015 if I don't grenade the engine in my 2008. Dastardly plan I know. Don't tell the wife...
I've got a couple of original design CCTs floating around. I can take a full turn off of the tension spring and then send it to you. I'm sure that a '15 will be in your near future with this reworked CCT. Always glad to help ;)