FODS 2015 comes to Southern West Virginia!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now I will have to decide which bike to bring to the party... picked this up on Saturday.
+1, Gunny; Very Nice, Congratulations chivvalry!
Is it bad form to haul it down instead of riding it down? I would never consider that with the FJR but I have no luggage for this... well... I DO have plenty of time to fix that problem.

And now I will have to decide which bike to bring to the party... picked this up on Saturday.
wr250r_zps34f32c3e.jpg
Ken, I'd say you gotta bring the dirt bike...that's what FODS is all about. Since I don't have a dirt bike, and the fact (spklbuk) Mr. Meadows says I gotta be there...I will be on the FJR. But you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
From spklbuk - Jim:

Southern (Upper) New River National River

A temperate rain forest wetland.

I was riding in the Alleghany mist most all morning.

In WV, even the slab is easy on the eye.

WVDOH in this region has been on a mission to gravel all the back roads. It is an election year.
biggrin.png
It is like riding on ball bearings. The roads should be broken in for FODS.

Snowflake and me would soon ride through this pass.

This will cause someone grief someday.

Water table is a tad low for July. There will likely be a lot more rowdy flow mid-June next year.

I could sit here all day.

The same old train that brought me here will carry me away again. Ridin’ on that New River Train.

Good to see some coal running for a change. Folks are back to work. The crank is turing, slowly, but turning.

You will encounter some of these.

And lots of these. Caution! Slippery when wet!

When coal is running, it is a good idea to pay attention to the signs or your day may come to an abrupt halt. Shiny rails are a tell-tale sign that coal is running and that you should be paying attention at crossings. This track that leads to the new coal processing plant that sits in the shadows of the Beech Ridge wind farm as seen sitting idle in an earlier ride report. Bryan and me rode by a couple of the mine sites in that area recently and the coal trucks were running like honey bees working a hive.

FJR riders et al will have to endure twisties like these all day long.

Another spot I could linger a long while.

After last night’s rain, there is nothing like finishing on freshly graded clay gumbo! Riding on ball bearing gravel was suddenly looking pretty good.

Well...it looks like I probably won't be able to make this. As I am going to have a couple of vertebrae fused, and will most likely still be in recovery mode.

Just noticed this thread...I should pay more attention! Looks like a lot of fun and close enough I could probably drive the DRZ there without hurting myself. It recently got a Seat Concepts seat so it's no longer quite the torture device that it was plus a windshield for additional pussified-ness.

DRZ%2520on%2520Pineola.jpg

Lee, I'm sure you'll have a great time...I know Jim has put some excellent routes together.

Well...it looks like I probably won't be able to make this. As I am going to have a couple of vertebrae fused, and will most likely still be in recovery mode.
I really hate to hear this Joe,I was looking forward to riding the West Virginia mountains with you.

Best wishs on a speedy recovery.

I really hate to hear this Joe,I was looking forward to riding the West Virginia mountains with you.
Denny I am still planning to attend EOM in Lewisburg, next September. Maybe I can get a warm up trip down to SE Ohio in before EOM. I'm sure I'll need it. I'll let you know when I'm ready.

Denny I am still planning to attend EOM in Lewisburg, next September. Maybe I can get a warm up trip down to SE Ohio in before EOM. I'm sure I'll need it. I'll let you know when I'm ready.
I've got 2 trips planned for SE Ohio, the Ramble in May, and likely again in July or August.

Maybe we could all get together again, last time was a blast!

I have been talking to Jim - I put together a couple of simple t-shirt designs, because we need to make sure the fact that Don bailed on this shin-dig is properly documented...

Here's what I managed with my less than stellar photo-chop skills...

Logo 1

fods-15logo1_zpsd6098e3f.jpg

Logo 2

FODS-15logo2_zps6efb920b.jpg

Logo 3

FODS-15logo3_zps06f11429.jpg

Logo 4

FODS-15logo4v2_zps64c1e958.jpg

Logo 5

fods-15Logo5_zps718d2451.jpg

In other words, "Welcome to Spearfish, South Dakota!" Papa Chuy Viejo votes for #4, that is sure to be an FJR Forum Collector's Item! RadioHowie and HotRodZilla will buy at least two each of this design, yamafitter - Billy Fitz will probably purchase a half dozen eh! JSNS, Winning!

I'm trying to see if there is anyway to make this trip work and still make it out to Spearfish but it does not look good.