FODS - FJR Owners Dual Sport Ride 9/15-9/16 or some other date see within

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FODS is already bigger than the first 3 WFO gatherings.
Eye dunno about dat. I was at #2 and there were over 30 bikes, #3 (in Moscow, ID) was in the 150-160 range.
Oh, for once I underheard a figure. I heard there was a realy small group for 2. Oh wells...FODS will grow. I know it will! We have more riders on the enablement list :yahoo:
I'm in. Thanks OV for setting this up.
you are in :) Welcome aboard!

Shoot I meant to put the above linked post in this thread but I screwed up. :dribble:

Hopefully this is in the right spot:

For those interested here are detailed directions to Meadow Lake via Hwy 89.

Follow Hwy 89 N. from Truckee for aprox. 17 miles to a left turn at Route 7 towards Jackson Meadows & Webber Lake.

Follow Route 7 to the route 86 turnoff towards Meadow Lake (second Webber Lake turnoff). This is where the road turns to gravel.

Route 86 is 7 miles of excellent gravel road and ends at a “Y” where you will veer right onto Road 843. It’s not marked as far as I could see so just be sure to veer right at the PG&E Hydroelectric System sign where the road turns to dirt.

It’s three miles of (as far as I could tell) unmarked road to Meadow Lake from here. There are several intersecting roads/trails, mostly unmarked, but just stick to the obvious main road.

Looks like I won't be driving the 4X4 truck after all cuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I will be riding

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: [SIZE=18pt]THIS[/SIZE] :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

KLR.jpg

Just a little something to keep the FJR company.

Nice! :clapping:

I'm most impressed with the invisible center stand... :dribble:

Now lets go get it dirty and scratched up. Wow, I think that only leaves Ian to heap all the peer pressure onto now, dumptruck loads shall now commence. ;)

You guys are killing me!!!! Next time you plan a ride please check my calendar first! I am going to be in Kennewick Wa, sitting in a meeting while you guys are in the woods doin that Dualsport Male Bonding thing. and to make matters worse my DR650 will be sitting in my garage all sad and stuff. at least I get to ride my FJR to Washington. Hopefully I will be able to catch the next one. :angry:

Damn you. Damn you all. I will be at the EOM that weekend otherwise I would have ridden my KLR out and joined you guys. Are you sure that with the time zone differences that your weekend isn't actually the following weekend.

I have an 02 and just picked up an 08 this past Saturday. I really like my FJR but it only gets ridden on long rides while the KLR gets used almost daily.

For comfort, I do have the Corbin flat seat and I have done some long trips on it including a 700 mile 13 hour ride form South Dakota on it and could easily have done an Iron Butt with it. Couldn't do that on the stock seat. Also, the throttle lock.

I am leaving in a few days for a 3,000 mile trip on the KLR to NM, CO, WY, MT and around. In the mountains the KLR opens up opportunities that the FJR can't match.

Another bit of advice, a lot of gravel gets kicked up and can easily hit your foot and lower legs. I did quite a bit of gravel road riding with guys here in Kansas and the bikes up front can disappear in the dust. We didn't use dust masks but it probably would have been a good idea as previously discussed.

Have a great time and be safe.

Chester

You guys are killing me!!!! Next time you plan a ride please check my calendar first! I am going to be in Kennewick Wa, sitting in a meeting while you guys are in the woods doin that Dualsport Male Bonding thing. and to make matters worse my DR650 will be sitting in my garage all sad and stuff. at least I get to ride my FJR to Washington. Hopefully I will be able to catch the next one. :angry:
I guess you ought to do the planning next time :)

Sorry you can't join us. Next time!

OK

Looks like the camping will be at Meadow Lake? sounds good, can't remember what the camping sites are like there but I'll be very primitive dry camping with just the basics.

Not sure if I'm bringing the fat trailie with limited supplies, or trailering in the dirt bike and bring more supplies (ice chests etc) ....we'll see as this shin-dig gets closer Also not sure yet if I'll head out Friday or early saturday.

I'll likely come in via 89 and Henness Pass road.

BTW, Henness Pass road has some cool history if you're not already aware here(clidky)

Thinking out loud it may(?) be a bit dusty for fun group riding so I'll be prepared to ride solo and/or with others who want to keep some distance. Maybe a rain between now and then would help things out. Likey will venture into Washington for some fun at some point. maybe ditto for Downieville.

Definates for me and perhaps those with an attitude for redneck fun and true gold country nostalgia ...... A ride into Graniteville is likey a good call for some redneck fun.

A real treat and a must for me will be a ride into Alleghany(clicky) ...and they even have a tavern (Casey's Place-clicky) for a (root?)beer or your choice of beverage. However, I'm not sure it is still open. the only other open business it the postoffice ....this town is a real time-warp -not much there other than the museum(clicky), never been through the museum as the tavern seems to be the same exceept the the people are alive, they just seem likey they're 150 years old. The fascinating sixteen to one mine(clicky) is still going and quite a piece of active nostalgia

....anyway, just some thinking out loud and curious as to other's thoughts and what they have in mind.

Hmmmm, ....no camp fires(?), if that is the case, -kind of a bummer, hard to light our stripped magnesium parts and fire up the opiium bong with just matches ...but I'm sure we'll find a way.

This is in a great area with some cool sites and rides .....looks like some good fun ahead.

...renojohn

Last edited by a moderator:
This is in a great area with some cool sites and rides .....looks like some good fun ahead.
...renojohn
Great info and great post John! Thanks for sharing John. I'm up for a Root Beer...or Sarsaparilla if they got it.

Holy Mackerel! This section of that history just blew my mind:

"But the animals were well trained. By custom the upgrade outfit had the right of way. Instinctively the unhitched animals of the downgrade team would cling to the bare declivity or [SIZE=14pt]even permit themselves to be swung into space with ropes[/SIZE]. At times the wagon and its trailer had to be taken apart to provide passage for the upgrade team. And in seasons of deep snow the draft stock wore snowshoes."

I guess we got pretty good at training those beasts. Holy crucible cinnamon stick feathers and other such expletives! Something tells me our ride will me more sedate than moments when horses hung from wood posts and rope off the edge of a cliff.

Last edited by a moderator: