FODS - FJR Owners Dual Sport Ride 9/15-9/16 or some other date see within

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FIRE UPDATE:

I called the ranger station and spoke with the ranger that patrols the Meadow Lake area. There are a couple things to know:

1) In the properly marked camp ground, wood fires in the fire rings are allowed.

2) Propane stove permits are required! If there is a flame, the person with the permit has to be there. This means it's best to get a number of these, they are free and available at Forest Service Stations and CDF Stations. I have some addresses for these. PM me if you need them.

3) There are been two sightings of bear in the area in the last month. The bears are having a hard year due to the drought and are coming lower to try to find easy pickings. Easy picking would be ANY food in your tents, or left in packs on the ground. The ranger recommends either locking the food in a vehicle with the windows tightly closed, or hanging it high in a tree (bring rope). This is serious, NO FOOD IN TENTS and I'd keep it off your body too unless you want a bear frisking you.

4) Meadow lake has rainbow trout for anyone that is a fisherman

5) Not all roads up there are legal. Technically, if they are not numbered then you aren't allowed on them. He says signs are often vadalized so more than anything he looks that you aren't

a. Jumping water barriers to get to roads...this ticks him off big time

b. going on roads that aren't marked and look overgrown

If the road looks like it has been in continual use, then go for it. There are currently restrictions on this due to the fire hazard so expect enforcement to be strict.

Also, please remember the backpackers credo: If you pack it in, pack it out. Don't leave trash behind.

Perhaps the most convenient location (on the way) is the CDF station in Auburn. Open Mon-Fri 8-5

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...wloc=A&om=1

There is also CDF downtown Sacramento at

1416 9th street

Ranger Station in Nevada City if you are coming up 20:

631 coyote street

Or Truckee:

exit 188a

(188B is before A)

get off turn Left over freeway

immediately on left in trees

9646 Donner pass road

Thanks!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were only a "bit more healed"....... :lol:
You and me both, Mike. I saw the surgeon today and was told that everything is progressing according to plan. I can go back to work as soon as I'm ready, but I must be well and truly ready to take on a 12hr shift on my feet, with reaching, bending, stretching and lifting. So far, I'm nowhere near that point. A few, gentle miles on the bike had me laid up for days.

Jill

If I were only a "bit more healed"....... :lol:
You and me both, Mike. I saw the surgeon today and was told that everything is progressing according to plan. I can go back to work as soon as I'm ready, but I must be well and truly ready to take on a 12hr shift on my feet, with reaching, bending, stretching and lifting. So far, I'm nowhere near that point. A few, gentle miles on the bike had me laid up for days.

Jill
You could come up to my house and practice by cleaning up after me and Sherri for 4 then 6 then 8 then 10 then 12 hour shifts to get your strength back. Anything to help ;)

When Mad and Penguini are all healed up, we ought to have a CFO in San Luis or Santa Barbara (or maybe Concord :rolleyes: )--just a weekend, or three-day get together to drink and, you know, fall down (not while riding though :no2: ). We could do a day ride.

Let's see: get there Friday evening / Saturday morning. Do a Saturday afternoon ride. Dinner and drinks in the evening. Bedtime. Then head home Sunday.

Do we know anyone who lives in Central California, like maybe Santa Barbara? Someone we know and like? Someone who is kind to animals and noobs? [Damnit! I can't think of anyone.]

Wait a minute! There's always Creston and Don Dreysdale Carver, president of the CBA and proprietor of the Creston Hilton. God I love Creston. I can't wait to go back.

Jb

Actually, late fall/early winter hotel rates aren't that bad here in town. JB, if you wanna set up a mini-meet thread I can always poke around to see what kinda rates I can get and where. Lemme know.

FIRE UPDATE:
I called the ranger station and spoke with the ranger that patrols the Meadow Lake area. There are a couple things to know:

3) There are been two sightings of bear in the area in the last month. The bears are having a hard year due to the drought and are coming lower to try to find easy pickings. Easy picking would be ANY food in your tents, or left in packs on the ground. The ranger recommends either locking the food in a vehicle with the windows tightly closed, or hanging it high in a tree (bring rope). This is serious, NO FOOD IN TENTS and I'd keep it off your body too unless you want a bear frisking you.

One of the main reasons I bought an RV, pack firearms, and don't usually camp anywhere near established bear feeding areas campgrounds. :ph34r:

Jumping water barriers to get to roads...this ticks him off big time
WTF? The main roads are full of "water barriers" tailor made for jumping. His buddies were probably cracking up in the background when he was telling you that :lol:

But he's certainly not bullshitting about staying off obviously closed roads especially with a huge fire burning in the area. Noise and crowds most always attracts rangers and you can usually argue ignorance unless you're being obnoxious.

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to mention our plans and routes? :unsure:

WTF? The main roads are full of "water barriers" tailor made for jumping
:thumbsupsmileyanim: Mother Natures implants! :nyam:
He said when they were right at the start of a road and very large. There was only one such road that I saw when I was there that followed that description and it went uphill from around the midpoint of the lake. Of course I took it. I didn't like it. Too silty.

He made serveral innuendos as to not caring too much about this as long as the roads were well worn and used by others. He just said when it's really obvious that they don't want traffic in an area, stay out. I guess that is left up to interpretation...probably his.

Got ya on the campground thing....but we can have fires in the campgrounds ;)

You could come up to my house and practice by cleaning up after me and Sherri for 4 then 6 then 8 then 10 then 12 hour shifts to get your strength back. Anything to help ;)
Why thank you for that generous offer. Our teenage(plus) son is actually doing a great job in that respect. He provides me with plenty to do, then I get to explain to him why HE has to help out.

Jill

When Mad and Penguini are all healed up, we ought to have a CFO in San Luis or Santa Barbara (or maybe Concord :rolleyes: )--just a weekend, or three-day get together to drink and, you know, fall down (not while riding though :no2: ). We could do a day ride.
Let's see: get there Friday evening / Saturday morning. Do a Saturday afternoon ride. Dinner and drinks in the evening. Bedtime. Then head home Sunday.

Jb
Sounds great. Count me in for that. A ride then a few drinks with friends afterwards, and no worries about designated drivers.

Jill