FODS V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know I'll have to ride there??????.... I might be already in the hood...... jus' saying
I'm good that way :D

Link on Kijiji

More than I want to spend but picking are VERY slim for WR'rs. It's only got 1900 klicks on it, I suspect it'll be cherry. Call first, I haven't even contacted the guy yet, YET! :D

The DV peeps are a bunch of slackers!

Very few posts/pix or carnage reports!

WTFO? Ya'll drunk and hung over and sore or sumptin? :blink:

Live from Long Street on Ustream......coming soon

So much for that, the internet is sooooo slow i won't work.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Uploading the shots from today at this link. Epic ride today! Wind, rain, wind, sand, and sand storm speed runs. Oh yeah... and a huge mountain of sand to play on! :yahoo:

DSCN3740-L.jpg

Today's damage report - one dead KLR

Thanks to everyone who came and hope you had fun. I know, I suck at hosting but BeemerDons and Buggnatr were a huge help with the planning and riding. A big thanks to both you guys! I have some FODS stickers left, if you didn't get one I'll have them at breakfast in the morning. Safe travels to everyone on the way home.

Thanks to FODS and AZ Beemers Titus Canyon looked like a SoCal Freeway!

DSCF0270-1.jpg

The sake swilling rice riders had the Legendary Motorycycles of Germany outnumbered two to one!

DSCF0271-1.jpg

Titus Canyon is a spectacular ride and Jorstin's R1200GS Adventure is real heavy to pick up!

DSCF0268-1.jpg

Weather conditions were perfect for Friday's ride, a little windy but clear and dry!

DSCF0272-1.jpg

What makes riding Titus Canyon so scenic is riding through the slot canyons inside the high rock walls.

DSCF0269-1.jpg

Plenty of elevation changes riding the stretch of Titus Canyon, up one grade then down the next.

DSCF0264.jpg

The AARP BMW Senior Citizens Team taking a water break at the Summit of the Amargosa Mountain Range.

DSCF0266.jpg

It was neat to reach the top of each pass and look back at where you had ridden, then to look ahead at what is coming up next.

DSCF0257.jpg

Dave O. of AZ Beemers Club heading to the highest spot!

DSCF0256.jpg

The soil on the grade surfaces was hard packed and rocky, loose sand and gravely down in the canyon bottoms.

DSCF0258.jpg

We found a cool spot at the bottom of Titus Canyon to relax at, it started to get hot as we descended down into Death Valley itself.

100_0901.jpg

Here comes Andrea - Mrs. ynotride.

100_0906.jpg

And here comes Dan - Mr. ynotride!

100_0905.jpg

Here is Steve-O "Jorstin" smiling at the start of Titus Canyon.

100_0896.jpg

Here is jorstin - Steve looking at the new "Character Achievements" on his BMW R1200GS.

100_0907.jpg

The Beemers parked at Rhyolite Ghost Town.

100_0897.jpg

Checking out what is left of Rhyolite, once was a huge town with an Opera House and Banks.

100_0895.jpg

Stormy sky over Zabriskie Point, I truly love Death Valley; a Magnificent National Park!

DSCF0276.jpg

My Son Seth Stanley approaching the Summit of Zabriskie Point, taking pictures with his I-Pad.

DSCF0278.jpg

Incredible history throughout DVNP, here is the Harmony Borax Works; wagons out were pulled by Twenty Mule Teams!

100_0909.jpg

You know what is even worse than your BMW GS taking a "dirt nap"? That is when someone takes a picture of your R1200GS "dirt napping"! Photo courtesy of Dave O.!

StevesBMW.png

You know what is even worse than your BMW GS taking a "dirt nap"? That is when someone takes a picture of your R1200GS "dirt napping"! Photo courtesy of Dave O.!

StevesBMW.png
Notice how all the guys are just standing around looking at it. No middle aged man wants a hernia. Now imagine doing that, alone, with a twisted knee, and you have to pick it up yourself.

You know whats even worse. Thinking taking a 600+ lb bike off road is a good idea.

StevesBMW.png
Notice how all the guys are just standing around looking at it. No middle aged man wants a hernia. Now imagine doing that, alone, with a twisted knee, and you have to pick it up yourself.

You know whats even worse. Thinking taking a 600+ lb bike off road is a good idea.
So Steve-O, have you ever heard of the wise old saying that goes: "Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill Any Day"?

We Geriatric and Senile Old Bastards just stood around until Uberkul showed up, then Brad threw his back out lifting up "La Gorda"!

Uber, great job of cat herding for this pix, yes?

BTM6040-L.jpg
Incredible assemblage! As a veteran of two previous FODS gatherings, with a total attendance of maybe half the bunch in this piccie, I'm jealous as hell. And is that the Bellagio behind you? Hope you all get home dry.

And, um, a couple details about the damages and casualties, for the morbidly curious out here, would be good.

The DV peeps are a bunch of slackers!

Very few posts/pix or carnage reports!

WTFO? Ya'll drunk and hung over and sore or sumptin? :blink:
Edit:SPOT Track

The big question was, WHERE were you? I checked every Denny's between Bakersfield and Shoshone and nary a sign of you anywhere. I guess I got the Carver Curse on Check bottom of post #1 for story of Carver's GI adventure! Saturday, woke up feeling "taint' right" to say the least and with weather looming and already earned my man points in January riding in Dove Springs in 50+ mph winds and knowing all too well how sand tastes, we departed waving at a few brave FODS fools, er die hards heading out to the desert. Actually would've liked to have ridden more, but after stopping at Bob's Big Boy in Barstow, (I think they dropped the Bob), sealed the deal and the Carver Curse reared it's ugly head. The chicken sandwich, fries with ranch and a chocolate shake finished the job on my "taint' right" feeling. We couldn't go more than 50 miles before a porcelain stop was required which made the normal 7 hr drive home into a 12 hr. marathon in sphincter control. But I digress, first off, a big tip of the hat to UberBrad, BeemerD and the rest who made this a great time for all. The conditions on Friday am were awesome with just a bit of chill in the air at 60+ on a windshieldless DRZ. Things went well initially, then I got a talcum powder application at about 20 mph and arrived at the gas stop in Beatty looking like a rider who'd been on the trail for weeks instead of an hour. We gassed up and headed for Titus Canyon being reminded that it hadn't rained in DV for about 250 years. Saying it was dusty is an understatement as we surely all had our share of grit in our teeth by the time we reached Titus. We stopped for a photo op, tightened up stuff that the world class washboard roads had shook loose and descended into the canyon. After exiting Titus we split the group of 16 or so into smaller groups and 6 of us headed toward Stovepipe for gas. My buddies, Mark & Ricky along with Mr. and Mrs. Ynot Ride along with Bugnator gassed up there, grabbed a bite to eat and headed for Skidoo. The pics will tell the story from here and suffice to say, we had a great 240 mile day (except the last hour plus droning along on knobbies fighting a headwind) and arrived back at the Longstreet in time for dinner and libations.

Morning BS Session

DeathValleyMar2012013.jpg

Mr. Ynotride's ride pre-dirt shot (sporting a tail pack or it might be Fairlaner's new fashion statement) Mrs. Ynotride's on right

DeathValleyMar2012012.jpg

My vantage point for the day

DeathValleyMar2012016.jpg

Bluestreek's Bluestreek

DeathValleyMar2012015.jpg

Last minute fiddling

DeathValleyMar2012017.jpg

Waiting for a rider

DeathValleyMar2012018.jpg

And another

DeathValleyMar2012019.jpg

Cool NX (1986 IIRC)

DeathValleyMar2012020.jpg

Ricky showing off his brand new Crossfire boots

DeathValleyMar2012023.jpg

My group's steeds ready to go

DeathValleyMar2012014.jpg

Duke ready for liftoff!

DeathValleyMar2012024.jpg

Photo op point before descending into Titus

DeathValleyMar2012030.jpg

A Yeti or Uberkul (didn't go check)

DeathValleyMar2012031.jpg

Meandering descent into Titus

DeathValleyMar2012028.jpg

Me looking for divine inspiration (or intervention)

DeathValleyMar2012026.jpg

Titus Canyon Traffic Jam

DeathValleyMar2012033.jpg

Trying to remember if lane splitting in NV is legal

DeathValleyMar2012035.jpg

Josh from CO? (spaced his screen name)

DeathValleyMar2012036.jpg

Bluestreek arriving?

DeathValleyMar2012042.jpg

Nope, just passing thru

DeathValleyMar2012043.jpg

View from West end of Titus

DeathValleyMar2012044.jpg

Doug checking for bugs

DeathValleyMar2012045.jpg

The road to Skidoo

DeathValleyMar2012050.jpg

Mrs. Ynot leading Mr. Ynot into Skidoo

DeathValleyMar2012051.jpg

Mr. Ynot trying to keep pace with his Mrs.

DeathValleyMar2012052-1.jpg

Remains of Skidoo rock crusher (discussing this with Bugnator and learning about the Arsenic and Cyanide used in those tanks below, sounds like it would be a OSHA red tag location)

DeathValleyMar2012059.jpg

The Ynots checking out the mine

DeathValleyMar2012053.jpg

Same shot zoomed out from our vantage point

DeathValleyMar2012054.jpg

Opposite View from above point (facing North)

DeathValleyMar2012057.jpg

Mark's fashion statement repair on his chain guard

DeathValleyMar2012058.jpg

Self portrait of our group from my tailpack (with lame framing)

DeathValleyMar2012063.jpg

Ricky asking how much farther do I need him to step back for a good shot

DeathValleyMar2012064.jpg

Move views from Aguereberry Pt. (southeast)

DeathValleyMar2012065.jpg

East view

DeathValleyMar2012066.jpg

Hiking down for a closer look (smart man practicing ATGATT)

DeathValleyMar2012068.jpg

Northeast view

DeathValleyMar2012067.jpg

Another Southeast view from trail's end

DeathValleyMar2012070.jpg

More info on Skidoo and Aguereberry Pt. (easy on the mouse viewing the pics, you'll end up with vertigo!)

Great to meet all the new peeps and reacquaint with old ones. Had a blast side by side jousting at near break neck speeds with my buddy Mark and Bugnator, great times! Would've been even better if DC had a made it, but he's probably still slaving over Krzy8 so he gets a hall pass on this one. Can't wait until FODS VI in Moab!