FODS V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great trip! Thanks Brad, Don, and whoever else put this together! Amazing area and it was great to meet everyone! Can't wait till Moab next year!

Here is a link to my album that has my pictures, Brent's, and Don's(not beemerdons, Brad's friend Don): https://photobucket.c...odsvdeathvalley

Here's some more pics:

P3170901.jpg

P3170893.jpg

P3170871.jpg

P3170874.jpg

P3160850.jpg

P3160846.jpg

P3160838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures Josh, it's fun to see everyone's view of the park. I owe you and Brent a few cold ones for the help with my KLR. Nice to see you did not get too wet Saturday.

This was my 5th dualsport trip to DV and I still found a few new roads to ride! Chloride Cliffs is fun, eh?

No worries Doug, I was just bummed we couldn't get you going! Yes, the Cliffs were awesome, as well as Echo Canyon, as well as the random route that Brad and I found to make it back to the hotel! Saturday was a pretty epic day and we didn't get more than a drizzle all day! Thanks for leading us on Fri and pointing us in the right direction Saturday! Consider us even! Hope to ride with everyone again in the future and if anyone is in Colorado look me up and I'll show you around!

Here's a video of Titus Canyon. To bad the camera was pointed to low :angry2:

I haven't figured out how to imbed the video on here yet.

Very nice video, helps me see some of the stuff I missed while dodging hikers. I see the Octogenarian in the hat moved off to the side after I came around the corner and found him standing smack dab in the middle of the road not knowing which way to jump! Guess I need to get that Yoshi pipe I've been lusting after so the "deef" ones can hear me coming. Thanks for sharing and hope you guys can post some more clips.

Russ Old Buddy, you and that Long Tall Texan fjrrider Scott need to put FODS VI on your Ride Calendar. Only 1,100 miles from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Moab, Utah!

https://classic.mapqu....553062&2v=CITY
Actually, the Q-tip is trying to talk me into riding over there with him while on his annual August 'escape the heat' Ouray, CO trip.

What bike was Mrs. Ynot riding?

Russ Old Buddy, you and that Long Tall Texan fjrrider Scott need to put FODS VI on your Ride Calendar. Only 1,100 miles from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Moab, Utah!

Actually, the Q-tip is trying to talk me into riding over there with him while on his annual August 'escape the heat' Ouray, CO trip.

Andrea was riding a Kawasaki KLX 250.

DSC06085.jpg

Here is the Husky that your Swedish Girlfriend Inga was riding:

i-c8bsL45-L.jpg

Andrea was riding a Kawasaki KLX 250. Here is the Husky that your Swedish Girlfriend Inga was riding:

i-c8bsL45-L.jpg
That musta been a hard crash ta knock her britches off!

lol

I'm gonna have me a WR450F before next year. Patch and I will meet you there. Sad I missed it this year.
Check this out AJ, today's digital edition of Cycle World had a writeup on the 2012 Yamaha WR450F:

https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/03/19/2012-yamaha-wr450f-first-ride/?cmpid=enews032212&spPodID=020&spMailingID=4457686&spUserID=MjA0MDMxNDY3NTES1&spJobID=266600715&spReportId=MjY2NjAwNzE1S0
That's cool, but I'm gonna get me a used one. Don't wanna spend 8k on a bike I'm gonna drop in the dirt.

Props to Uberkul and BeamerDon for all the work setting up FODS V. Great fun was had. Brad's "timid" Erin was way more agressive a rider than she made herself out to be. Riding Dad's bike up the Big Dune. :dribble:

The big Super Tenere is a good gravel road bike... And while it didn't do any dirt napping, a partially submerged rock at 45 mph did a nice job of putting a dent in the front rim. The 600 lb bike in loose rocky sand is a handful too, but plenty of throttle and TCS #2 setting got me through it just fine, if with a little pucker factor. I did realize that since Doug P. said it got worse from there, I was at my level of skill and risking some stupid stuff if I kept following the 350 lb 650s, so I decided to turn around. THEN we noticed my broken fender and dented rim!! Good thing too, I got 4 miles and the front tire went flat, partially un-seating from the rim bead. :unsure:

I was still 9 miles from the pavement, so broke out the compressor and got lucky with some knee and hand action to hold the tire in against the bead and it aired back up! For a while there it looked like I would be walking the bike out with a lot of clutch action in the friction zone. Thankfully I was able to do some rock adjustment to the rim and get it aired up, make it out to the road and air up again, then ride back to the hotel. This was all on Thursday.

2h38nk3.jpg

Note the spot w/o the dust, that's from the air leaking out of the bead area. No tubes on this girl either!

Don Stanley lent me a hammer back at the hotel and I did some modification to the rim that helped, but it wasnt' dirt worthy.

Sadly, Friday was spent going to Vegas and getting my wheel fixed. Happily, it only took an hour at the shop and cost $42.50! Motorcycle Tire Center in Hederson ROCKS! After the fix, I rode back to DV and did some pavement tourism since I wasnt' too hip on doing the dirt along on the big girl with my limited skills. Still, 400 miles that day and some good fun in DV!

Somehow I missed the Big Trailie group on Sat too, which sucked, but I still went and had some fun, rode a little dirt and a little pavement before getting seriously rained on in Wild Rose Canyon, to the point where I was concerned about the potential for snow and flash flooding, so turned around before the summit and beat feet back to Armargosa Valley.

If I go to FODS VI, I'm bringing a fricking 250! And not a shiny one either. :p

Had a great time on my first FODS adventure. thanks to all the organizers for making it a fun time. Special thanks to the Karaoke singers on Saturday night, OMG how bad was that? . Better late than never, here are a few pics from one of the Sacto area groups:

How the Hell did we end up East of Beatty on day 1?????

Trying to buy a beer in Rheolyte

DSC09320-1.jpg

Gratuitous self protrait

DSC09321.jpg

Titus Break

DSC09336.jpg

Total Tourists and loving every minute of it :D

DSC09341.jpg

Bikes cinched down tight for the long drive back to NorCal

DSC09346.jpg