FODS V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'Carver Curse', huh? :blink: :bad:

Yes, krzy8 most all weekend! Sure wanted to go....

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report, John. Outstanding pictures. You win the kewpie doll. This must be the way to see DV, much as I love my FJR.

But. . .

We couldn't go more than 50 miles before a porcelain stop was required which made the normal 7 hr drive home into a 12 hr. marathon in sphincter control.
TMI! . :dribble:

GREAT to see Duke back on his game, though. Please update us, Mark.

Duke ready for liftoff!

DeathValleyMar2012024.jpg

Big Thank you from the Ynots to Brad for setting this up and to Doug for letting us tag along on Friday. We had a blast riding in the rain yesterday. It was a first for us on these bikes.

John, You got some really nice pictures and Thanks for the beers. I'm glad I saw them in back of the truck before I took off :yahoo:

I'll get my photos uploaded and posted as soon as I unload all of the wet gear out of the trailer.

Home from FODS V, thanks to Brad and the rest of the crew for helping me pick up the beast from its dirt nap ha ha, Sir Richard and I rode through a snow storm is cajon pass it was narley and fun

Steve

Well I for one had a great time with 500 miles by day 2 but it was too much for my KLR. Sat. day 3 had Josh & Brent from Colorado along with Dougc and myself headed for Echo Canyon but 100 yards from the hotel my klr lost spark. With some expert help from my fellow riders we pulled the behemoth fuel tank and did some road side checking but could not find any obvious reasons so I suspect it will be a costly repair. The positive side of this was I could push the bike back to the Hotel, this would have been a real bummer in the back country.

Wow, such great pictures from everyone I'll just add a few.

Here's Dougc looking for a place to crash test his Honda's radiator near Mengal Pass.

IMG_2336.jpg

Leaky radiator from test crash? No problem as our fearless leader Brad had the good stuff.

IMG_2345.jpg

Master mechanic hands at work

IMG_2347.jpg

An artist always signs his work!

IMG_2353.jpg

I now know what to add to my off road tool list, without this it may not have been a good afternoon for us trying to get Doug's Honda out Golar wash. Nice job Brad!

I had so much fun meeting new friends and seeing some familiar faces plus riding with such good people. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. After the KLR quit running I packed up and headed north (with a monster tail wind) toward home. This may not have been as good a plan as I hoped. The weather did not cooperate as here is Tonopah from a distance.

IMG_2435.jpg

Hawthorne looked cool from the East.

IMG_2467.jpg

Wasn't a picnic from Lake Walker to Falon.

IMG_2485.jpg

I did make it to Truckee before darkness and chain control forced me to get a room in town for the night. This morning still had the chain controls and even with 4 wheel drive I had to chain up because I was pulling a trailer. Nice out there, eh?

IMG_2502.jpg

It was a long slow drive but I made it. I guess the trailer gained some snow weight too.

IMG_2506.jpg

This was a great event with even better people. Big thanks to Uberkul for all the hard work to pull off such a smooth gathering.

Great report, John. Outstanding pictures. You win the kewpie doll. This must be the way to see DV, much as I love my FJR.

But. . .

We couldn't go more than 50 miles before a porcelain stop was required which made the normal 7 hr drive home into a 12 hr. marathon in sphincter control.
TMI! . :dribble:
Sac Mike, Sorry had to do it. Carver set the descriptive standard for defending one's man card and I figured mine might be called into question for not riding Saturday.

John, You got some really nice pictures and Thanks for the beers. I'm glad I saw them in back of the truck before I took off :yahoo:

I'll get my photos uploaded and posted as soon as I unload all of the wet gear out of the trailer.
My pleasure. Great to meet and ride with you and the Mrs. I'm sorry they weren't cold like the ones you offered me, but I'm sure you'll be a fan of Great White after downing those.

Well I for one had a great time with 500 miles by day 2 but it was too much for my KLR. Sat. day 3 had Josh & Brent from Colorado along with Dougc and myself headed for Echo Canyon but 100 yards from the hotel my klr lost spark. With some expert help from my fellow riders we pulled the behemoth fuel tank and did some road side checking but could not find any obvious reasons so I suspect it will be a costly repair. The positive side of this was I could push the bike back to the Hotel, this would have been a real bummer in the back country.
Bummer on the no sparky thingy. We saw the gathering down the road, but just figured we weren't invited to the roadside meeting or didn't get the memo. You're so right in that it could've occurred in a much less hospitable place so glad things worked out. Had a ball out there and regarding the damage reports, hopefully the only pains are financial.

Brad's lovely daughter drove Thursday down to join her Dad and FODSters for fun in the desert.

I have a son close to her age and we have ridden Titus Canyon, etc. in Death Valley a couple years ago.

It's always special to remember sharing my love of riding on one of the most awesome back roads anywhere with my son.

As we enter Titus Canyon I zoomed in and took this picture of daughter/father sharing the best quality time!

IMG_2373.jpg

We had a great time at FODS and are already looking forward to the next one. We ended up riding 400 miles over two days in Dust, Wind, Rain, Rocks, Sand, and Canyons. What more can you ask for.

The only damage to report is a broken clutch cable on the KLX and a couple of bald tires.

Friday pre ride preparations.

DSC06072.jpg

DSC06073.jpg

DSC06075.jpg

DSC06067.jpg

I think he was trying to lift her tire for a burnout

DSC06071.jpg

Fearless Trail leader Bugnatr whispering sweet nothings to his bike.

DSC06078.jpg

Bluestreek at Beatty gas stop

DSC06079.jpg

SaharaJP99 in Beatty

DSC06080.jpg

We decided to split from the group in Beatty to visit Rhyolite since the group was so large with 15 bikes. In the end it didn't matter because there were FODS riders in every corner of the park this weekend.

DSC06085.jpg

DSC06082.jpg

Bummer on the no sparky thingy. We saw the gathering down the road, but just figured we weren't invited to the roadside meeting or didn't get the memo. You're so right in that it could've occurred in a much less hospitable place so glad things worked out. Had a ball out there and regarding the damage reports, hopefully the only pains are financial.
I thought you guys had already pulled out before we left, but then again the mornings were a bit hazy for me from the previous evening hydration corrections. :rolleyes:

Continued

Titus Canyon

DSC06092.jpg

DSC06096.jpg

We caught up to Bugnatr and CAJW and friends in Stovepipe Wells and they were nice enough to let us tag along to Aguereberry Peak.

DSC06101.jpg

Saturday morning we layered up for the rain and cold and took off alone towards Hole in the wall where we ran into Uberkul and his posse for the day.

DSC06106.jpg

I didn’t get this guy’s name

DSC06110.jpg

Hole in the Wall

DSC06111.jpg

DSC06112.jpg

20 Mule team canyon

DSC06115.jpg

Dante’s View. Boy was it cold and windy up there. We only stayed long enough to snap a few pictures

DSC06118.jpg

I will have to work on getting some of the videos uploaded later. Thanks again to everyone who made this happen :clapping:

You know what is even worse than your BMW GS taking a "dirt nap"? That is when someone takes a picture of your R1200GS "dirt napping"! Photo courtesy of Dave O.!

StevesBMW.png
Notice how all the guys are just standing around looking at it. No middle aged man wants a hernia. Now imagine doing that, alone, with a twisted knee, and you have to pick it up yourself.

You know whats even worse. Thinking taking a 600+ lb bike off road is a good idea.
So Steve-O, have you ever heard of the wise old saying that goes: "Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill Any Day"?

We Geriatric and Senile Old Bastards just stood around until Uberkul showed up, then Brad threw his back out lifting up "La Gorda"!
I feel real bad about Brads back, but mine does not feel any better thats for sure, all, because I tried to be Ryan Villipoto and ended up on my Ass

Doug, that snow looks mighty familiar. We had to buy chains for the truck and trailer in Truckee this morning to get down the other side.

:angry:

Doug, that snow looks mighty familiar. We had to buy chains for the truck and trailer in Truckee this morning to get down the other side.

:angry:
I was hoping you stayed in Reno today. Holy Cow that must have been a pricey chain bill but better than the 3 wrecks I saw on the way over.

Hey SissyBoy Don, where in the Hell were you at for FODS DVD Daze 2012? You know Carver, you really ought to let Jorstin and Chuy take you outdoors and teach you how to ride offroad in the dirt; you actually may enjoy dual sport biking if you ever gave it a try!

untitled.png

I was safe n ' sound n' warm in my little shop working on KrZy8 while you stud muffins were out stud muffining!

So after sitting in stop and go traffic for one and a half hours going about three miles I get to the chain control check point. Guy says I need chains. I say "But I have 4 wheel drive and snow tires" Guy says "Pulling a trailer you need chains" I say "Brad (Uberkul) said I didn't need them" Guy says "Who" I say "Where can I turn around" Guy looks back at the 25 mile long line of stopped cars behind me and says "Next time" I say "Thanks" and stand on the gas.

Made it home about 5:30 pm.

Thanks Brad, Don and Doug for a great weekend. Hope I can make Fods VI

First, thanks to the "organizers" of this adventure. It was my first visit to Death Valley and it will not be my last. Second, I enjoyed the ride up from Phoenix with Mark, Dave O, and Jerry of the AZ Beemers. Third, thanks to Mark, Duke, and Ken from the FJR Forum and Kingman for the grand tour of Death Valley. We hit the high points for sure but needed another day to complete the tour (paved). Finally, I left the Long Street Saturday morning with Ken and Mark and Duke just ahead of the heavy wind and rain as we made our way to Kingman. Then I soloed back to Phoenix with a welcomed stop in Wickieup to "Eat at Joes" barbecue. It was every bit as good as I remembered from our FJR/AZ Beemer ride a month ago. Aside from the 40 MPH side wind on I40, the ride home was mostly uneventual. Now home safe and sound - looking forward to the next event.

First, thanks to the "organizers" of this adventure. It was my first visit to Death Valley and it will not be my last. Second, I enjoyed the ride up from Phoenix with Mark, Dave O, and Jerry of the AZ Beemers. Third, thanks to Mark, Duke, and Ken from the FJR Forum and Kingman for the grand tour of Death Valley. We hit the high points for sure but needed another day to complete the tour (paved). Finally, I left the Long Street Saturday morning with Ken and Mark and Duke just ahead of the heavy wind and rain as we made our way to Kingman. Then I soloed back to Phoenix with a welcomed stop in Wickieup to "Eat at Joes" barbecue. It was every bit as good as I remembered from our FJR/AZ Beemer ride a month ago. Aside from the 40 MPH side wind on I40, the ride home was mostly uneventual. Now home safe and sound - looking forward to the next event.

https://www.moabvalleyrv.com/index.html +1, Gunny; Thanks Jim, Uberkul-Fairlaner-BeemerDonS are so glad to hear everyone both street and dirt had such a good time.

Mark your 2013 Calendar for FODS VI to be held March 21-24 in Moab, UT. Our base camp will be the Moab Valley RV Resort; incredible dirt and street riding available!

And, if we have HotRodZilla do our FODS VI shirts that Dumbass will spell it Maob, Utha!

Lessons, thoughts and personal observations from FODS V.

1. This big of an event needs levels of leadership (based on an Army guys perspective).

•  
  • A commander to run the show.
  • Platoon sergeants for the street, big adv, big dualsport and light dualsport groups.
  • Squad leaders to lead rides based on abilities for each group.

2. Lip balm would have been good.

3. My daughter Erin is an awesome person.

4. Good times can be a product of who you are with, where you are at, timing, temperature and feel of a place. Great times are a perfect storm of all those things.

5. Share the heavy lifting as much as possible.

6. A Dunlop 606 and Perelli MT 21 really are the perfect dual sport combo!

7. Corbin makes my ass happy.

8. Don’t go somewhere twice if a first time is available.

9. Side trips are sometimes the best trips. :yahoo:

Thanks again to all who came and other than a little bike damage everyone got away clean.

BTM6038-L.jpg

Can't wait for Utah! :hyper: