Fork overhaul

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob

I went with GP 2 years ago, and liked the improved handling over stock. Although, last season I seemed to be dragging and scrapping a lot. The reason is I was pushing the bike harder and harder, and getting to be a much better rider in the corners with the improved suspension, but it wasn't stiff enough to handle the corner speeds I NOW can go. And yes I'm hanging off the bike. bottom line is it wasn't working for me. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything bad about GP,they do great work and the bike was great handling and plush. The problem is I've change. I'm riding much harder and faster than I did 2 years ago, so I had to go with stiffer front and rear springs.

This time I went with Traxxion. I just got my forks and Ohlins back from Traxxion, but haven't tried yet. The reason I went with them is because they said right away they thought I needed more spring, which I believe I do. Also they say the factory cartridges are only good for about 100,000 miles, and there AK-20's are good for much more. I already have 60,000 miles and should see 100,000 in 2-3 years. I plan on keeping the bike so for me it's worth it. I could have had GP put stiffer springs in, but I don't think they have the cartidges.

If I was still riding the way I was 2 years ago the first set-up would be fine, but now I almost never ride 2 up and almost always push it hard in the corners. Now I'm willing to give up the plush ride for better handling when pushing hard.

The front spring are now 1.1, and the rear is now 900lbs. They were .95, and 850.

Opinions are like aholes....... you know the rest, so take this with a grain of salt. It's just my opinions. Time will tell.
Excellent feedback Art. The reason I need to upgrade is mostly due to riding. The more hours I put on the bike the more confident and a lttle more aggressive I get. Right now I think it is the bike holding me back, but I don't kmow if I want to push it any more. I will be doing more 2 up riding out of the gate this season, though.

If you want/need to find a shipping case locally, WalMart also carries this one that many people use.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Protector-Pro-Max-Pillared-Gun-Case/4303558?findingMethod=rr
Thanks Jeff. That will probably be the one I use as it will ship free to the store. Did you get my email?
you aint set that stuff out yet? WTF?
Did you see the forecast for tomorrow and Saturday???? Disassembly will occur Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob

I went with GP 2 years ago, and liked the improved handling over stock. Although, last season I seemed to be dragging and scrapping a lot. The reason is I was pushing the bike harder and harder, and getting to be a much better rider in the corners with the improved suspension, but it wasn't stiff enough to handle the corner speeds I NOW can go. And yes I'm hanging off the bike. bottom line is it wasn't working for me. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything bad about GP,they do great work and the bike was great handling and plush. The problem is I've change. I'm riding much harder and faster than I did 2 years ago, so I had to go with stiffer front and rear springs.

This time I went with Traxxion. I just got my forks and Ohlins back from Traxxion, but haven't tried yet. The reason I went with them is because they said right away they thought I needed more spring, which I believe I do. Also they say the factory cartridges are only good for about 100,000 miles, and there AK-20's are good for much more. I already have 60,000 miles and should see 100,000 in 2-3 years. I plan on keeping the bike so for me it's worth it. I could have had GP put stiffer springs in, but I don't think they have the cartridges.

If I was still riding the way I was 2 years ago the first set-up would be fine, but now I almost never ride 2 up and almost always push it hard in the corners. Now I'm willing to give up the plush ride for better handling when pushing hard.

The front spring are now 1.1, and the rear is now 900lbs. They were .95, and 850.

Opinions are like aholes....... you know the rest, so take this with a grain of salt. It's just my opinions. Time will tell.
Excellent feedback Art. The reason I need to upgrade is mostly due to riding. The more hours I put on the bike the more confident and a lttle more aggressive I get. Right now I think it is the bike holding me back, but I don't kmow if I want to push it any more. I will be doing more 2 up riding out of the gate this season, though.
If you're like most of us you will be pushing it harder after you get better suspension. B) What is a white knuckle ride now will be like a walk in the park after.

For those of you that have done your forks, what did it specifically do for you? I raised the rear of my bike and can go pretty fast now without scraping, but hate the low speed turn in feel. Does that improve with the fork mods, or something else?

Thanks,

Lew

I replaced the bushings and seals in my forks last weekend. When I pulled them apart I found only lower and upper bushings. The middle bushing was missing. :blink: I had 3 bushings for each forks tube so that is what I installed.

Traxxion replaced seals and bushings 20,000 miles ago so I called them. The customer service guy consulted with the techs and got back with me today. I was informed that Traxxion does not replace the middle bushing when it does FJR forks, "it makes disassembly difficult and is not needed", "No other bike has three bushings."

The forks did come apart easily and the bike handled well. If I had not done the forks myself I would have never known of their decesion to leave out middle bushings. I recommended that they inform customer of this practice and they stated they would in the future.

For those of you that have done your forks, what did it specifically do for you? I raised the rear of my bike and can go pretty fast now without scraping, but hate the low speed turn in feel. Does that improve with the fork mods, or something else?

Thanks,

Lew
Since I had the forks done at 40k (or so) my comparison was between forks with 20k-old-fluid-and-stock-springs-and-worn-bushings, and new-valves-springs-bushings-fluid, so it's not really a super valid comparison.

The biggest change I noticed was the planted feel in the corners, i.e. it didn't wallow and pick it's own line. Steering seemed a bit more precise. It is stiffer, but not harsh. The adjusters have a much bigger effect than before.

A more subtle difference was that I got a lot better feel for what the front end was doing. It's still a heavy bike and that affects quick transitions.

Hi all

Just as a matter of interest if doing a complete fork overhaul, are the bushings and seal the only parts that wear out on the Gen 1. I am looking at ordering all the parts before i start the job for limited downtime.

Gazza

I want to say thanks to everyone that offered input for me here. I opted for the GP fork upgrade with a Penske 8983 with remote. I purchased the gun case from Cabelas for shipment. The case is great for that purpose. I will be sure to share my experience once I get some saddle time.

I have been looking into rebuilding the front forks on "Cherie" for a while. I was leaning towards buying a kit and doing the work myself (for the shear fun of it) but now that I'm working again, I don't seem to have any free time. :( My forks will be on their way to GP shortly.

Still waffling on what to get for the Rear.

Edit: Oops! Didn't realize we were signed in as Rosanne. :dribble: FJRGuy

I'm going to give another "thumbs up" to GP Suspension.

I sent in the Ohlin's shock to be rebuilt and they applied the FJRForum discount ... I didn't even have to ask!

Well, the forks and shock arrived last wednesday while I was a away. Got hoime friday afternoon and installed the front end. I got up yesterday morning and installed the shock. I have all the tools I need, but I will tell you that the manual and this forum were the the most helpfull. Had both on the table next to the bike while working.

Fast forward to 1300 and out of the garage I went. I could feel the difference right away. Holy Shit!! I was just rolling through some local twisties thinking "this feels awesome", and then looked down at the speedo and realized I was going almost twice as fast as I usually went on that stretch of road and still felt like I was cruising! I then turned the bike west to the mountains. I ended up riding about 238 miles in 4.5 hours. What a different bike! Totally planted in the turns. I like the settings that GP gave me, but I may just tweak the rebound in the front a little. :yahoo:

Today will be the first two up ride. So far well worth the money spent.

Well, the forks and shock arrived last wednesday while I was a away. Got hoime friday afternoon and installed the front end. I got up yesterday morning and installed the shock. I have all the tools I need, but I will tell you that the manual and this forum were the the most helpfull. Had both on the table next to the bike while working.

Fast forward to 1300 and out of the garage I went. I could feel the difference right away. Holy Shit!! I was just rolling through some local twisties thinking "this feels awesome", and then looked down at the speedo and realized I was going almost twice as fast as I usually went on that stretch of road and still felt like I was cruising! I then turned the bike west to the mountains. I ended up riding about 238 miles in 4.5 hours. What a different bike! Totally planted in the turns. I like the settings that GP gave me, but I may just tweak the rebound in the front a little. :yahoo:

Today will be the first two up ride. So far well worth the money spent.

Yep...getting new suspenders is the BEST $$$ you can put into a bike like the FJR...by far.

Latest posts