Frist FJR ride (2005)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clark Kent

Reaction score
Well, I finally got a ride on a 2005 FJR. You are all right. It is "The ST" to have.

I rode a 2005 Honda ST1300 and was very disappointed.

I ride a 93 ST1100. The Honda 1300 was nice, but just a little better in all areas. But not enough for me to get a 1300 Honda.

On the other hand, the FJR will probably turn me away from Honda. (Not that there is anything wrong with my Hondas.) They are great. It's just that the're is more SPORT in the FJR than in the Honda 1300.

The FJR is smaller, more compact. I like that. It's quicker in acceleration, but doesn't have much (or any) more top end than the Honda 1300. I figure about 140 to 145 for each.

Now for the real question. What are the performance figures on the BMW k1200gt???

I have looked and looked and looked on the internet and can't find them.

No 1/4 mile times, no top speed. (One BMW source did say the top speed will be 200 Kl + Gee 120 mph+

Hell, I have a 1962 Sears 50 cc moped that goes 30 mph+. Now that could be 31 mph or 250 mph.

Seems like all BMW wants to talk about is how the new K1200GT has put the FJR out to pature. However, they don't say want pasture and how many cows it tooK. Looks like BMW knows how to "MILK" a new bike press release, but forgot were in AMERICA and my question is "WHE'RES THE BEEF?"
98208_571723_big.gif

If the JK1200GT is that good, lets see some real figures. Until then don't sell your FJR---------------BUT,

if you do, SELL IT TO ME!
ride2.gif

CK

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a copy of this month's Motorcycle Consumer News. There's a side-by-side shootout between the '06 FJR1300AE and the '06 K1200GT. MCNews says they're pretty close but give the slight nod to the FJR-AE. If they'd used an FJR1300A instead, the FJR probably would have outperformed the GT by a bigger margin.

MCN says that the '06 BMW K1200GT runs the quarter mile in 11.18 @ 123 The '06AE was something like 11.8 @ 117. I have time slips from New England Dragway that shows my '04 would run heads-up with the BMW.

The overall evaluation put the '06 AE fractionally ahead of the BMW. The BMW was technically better in several areas but at quite a cost difference. Agreed that if the test was BMW K1200GT vs '06 FJR1300A the FJR would have been judged better by a larger margin.

MCN says that the '06 BMW K1200GT runs the quarter mile in 11.18 @ 123 The '06AE was something like 11.8 @ 117. I have time slips from New England Dragway that shows my '04 would run heads-up with the BMW.
The overall evaluation put the '06 AE fractionally ahead of the BMW. The BMW was technically better in several areas but at quite a cost difference. Agreed that if the test was BMW K1200GT vs '06 FJR1300A the FJR would have been judged better by a larger margin.

Looks and sounds to me like my obvious choice is the FJR :yahoo:

From the advertizing from BMW there was no comparison. I guess they were right. They just picked the wrong bike. (Since they ARE the company, I guess you can't blame them)

I'm glad Japan and Germany are good at bikes, becasue, "in the game of war, they are both losers!"
nuke1.gif

Let's not forget the "bang for your buck" factor either!
So then, we should have bought a Concours? :blink: :D hee-hee-hee-hee-hee

I looove :heart: my FJR, just as there will be those "Beemer-philes" and others who will love their K1200GT. We all win in this game because the manufacturers keep building better and more interesting bikes. I wonder what the magazines will write about the current sport-touring bikes in their "History Column" 20 years from now?

Get a copy of this month's Motorcycle Consumer News. There's a side-by-side shootout between the '06 FJR1300AE and the '06 K1200GT. MCNews says they're pretty close but give the slight nod to the FJR-AE. If they'd used an FJR1300A instead, the FJR probably would have outperformed the GT by a bigger margin.
Any chance of someone scanning that article? Can't get that magazine here where I live.

My present ride is an R1100RT with 121 K miles. I plan on getting a 07 FJR. I enjoyed reading the article in MCN about the comparison between BMW and the FJR. I only wish they would show how much it costs as standard maintenance over a number of miles. For example at a casual glance you would think the Bmw is cheaper to maintain. However note that valve adj. for the Bmw is 12K miles and for the FJR it is 26.6 K miles. So for example if you were to compair costs over 26 K miles the Bmw would have two valve adj. at a total cost of 406.50 each which would then show it costs more to maintain. That has been one of my complaints on the BMW, expensive to buy and expensive to maintain . That said they are a pretty reliable bike, mine has always got me home.

Mac

Any chance of someone scanning that article? Can't get that magazine here where I live.
Since MCNews survives on subscriptions (no advertising accepted), I suspect subscribers would be hessitant to do so and risk the future of perhaps their favorite mag. MCNews has specifically asked people to help them reduce/prevent copyright violations. Subscription info can be found here:

https://tinyurl.com/hg6q4

You can get discounts for subs at any of the National Motorcycle Shows each year. Also, current subscribers have access to "gift" discounts they can share with you each year (ask around). The gift certificate is how I got my first year. I've renewed every year since. More useful info in one month than most mags have in a whole year.

I only wish they would show how much it costs as standard maintenance over a number of miles. For example at a casual glance you would think the Bmw is cheaper to maintain. However note that valve adj. for the Bmw is 12K miles and for the FJR it is 26.6 K miles. So for example if you were to compair costs over 26 K miles the Bmw would have two valve adj. at a total cost of 406.50 each which would then show it costs more to maintain.
Seems they did provide the info. Enough basic info that the reader could then do the math to extrapolate out the details for themselves if they want to. But you make a good point about looking at such details when comparing different bikes and each rider's riding habits.

Well, I finally got a ride on a 2005 FJR. You are all right. It is "The ST" to have.

The FJR is smaller, more compact. I like that. It's quicker in acceleration, but doesn't have much (or any) more top end than the Honda 1300. I figure about 140 to 145 for each.

CK

If you find an FJR1300 that will only go 140-145 you had better take it to a dealer and get it serviced.

On an open off road course, with the bags off and the Rifle shield down I got to 159mph logged on a Garmin 276c GPS.

Skippy

Since MCNews survives on subscriptions (no advertising accepted), I suspect subscribers would be hessitant to do so and risk the future of perhaps their favorite mag. MCNews has specifically asked people to help them reduce/prevent copyright violations. Subscription info can be found here:

https://tinyurl.com/hg6q4
Looks like you can order reprints too. Check out Motorcycle Consumer News.com, then follow the link to "Back Issues".

MANUFACTURER BMW Yamaha

MODEL YEAR 2006 2006

MODEL K 1200 GT FJR1300A

M.S.R.P. $18,800.00 $13,499.00

Engine Transverse mounted, liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder/ Liquid-cooled, 16-valve DOHC, in-line 4-cylinder

Displacement 1,157 cc 1,298 cc

Bore x Stroke 79 mm x 59 mm 79 x 66.2 mm

Compression Ratio 13.0:1 10.8:1

Fuel System Engine controller - BMS-K

Fuel Capacity 6.3 gal. including 1 gal. reserve 6.6 gal.

Transmission 6-speed 5-speed with hydraulic, multi-plate clutch

Final Drive Enclosed driveshaft with 2 universal joints; 2.82:1 drive ratio shaft

Wheelbase 61.8 in. 60.6 in.

Seat Height 32.3 in. 31.7 in.

Dry Weight 549 lbs. w/ABS 582 lbs. 05 ABS 553

Colors Deep Blue Metallic, Dark Graphite Metallic,Crystal Gray Metallic Cobalt Blue

Suspension Front: Duolever; 4.5 in. travel 48 mm Soqi telescopic fork w/ adjustable

Rear: EVO Paralever; 5.3 in. travel preload,compression and rebound damping; 5.4 in. travel

Brakes EVO brake system

Front: 2 4-piston fixed calipers; 12.6 in. dual floating rotors Front: [i]Dual 320 mm discs with 4-piston calipers [/i]

Rear: 1 2-piston fixed caliper; 11.6 in. rotor Rear: 282 mm disc, CBS ABS standard

Tires Front: 120/70 x 17 tubeless 120/70-ZR17 radialTires rear: 180/55 x 17 tubeless 180/55-ZR17 radial

Rake 61°

Trail 4.5 in.

You want more info go find it yourself :p

CK

If you find an FJR1300 that will only go 140-145 you had better take it to a dealer and get it serviced.

On an open off road course, with the bags off and the Rifle shield down I got to 159mph logged on a Garmin 276c GPS.

Skippy
I agree. I had an ST1300. The highest top speed I saw (indicated) was 148 - maybe a couple more left, but not much. And that was in ideal weather conditions (cool and a tailwind). According to everything I have read, that is low 140's actual speed.

On my two month old FJR, I've now ssen 160 twice, 158 once, and 155 once (not topped out). And these were all in very hot conditions and no tailwind. There is some controversy over how much the speedo is off on the FJR, but I'm guessing about 5mph.

What evidence is there to substantiate that? It's a normal gearbox with an auto clutch. Are the gear ratios any different? If it was a full auto with a torque converter I could understand that statement. Has a side-by-side comparison been made? Without that, such a comment is surely speculative.

David

What evidence is there to substantiate that? It's a normal gearbox with an auto clutch. Are the gear ratios any different? If it was a full auto with a torque converter I could understand that statement. Has a side-by-side comparison been made? Without that, such a comment is surely speculative.
David
They said they couldn't do high RPM, high clutch slipping, dragstrip type starts with the AE. The programming wouldn't let them do it. So that is why the FJR-AE's times were worse than the K-GT. They also noted for comparison's sake, that the numbers they got from an 03 FJR a couple years ago were much better than the K-GT's. So that is how they drew the conclusion that the FJR-A would have had better numbers than the K-GT

They also said FJR was definitely the roll-on king.

One other thing on the comparison between the BMW and FJR in MCN of note is the weight carring capacity.

The Beamer will carry 324 lbs. and the Fjr 427.5 lbs. To some sole riders this might not make much difference but anyone riding double should think about it. With the beamer and two up you probably have reached your max loading without any luggage. :unsure:

Latest posts