Fuel Economy on the Blue Ridge Parkway Riding 2-Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Federal tickets are a beeotch. I watched an afternoon of federal court while contesting a parking ticket that would have cost me $200 (I was told by an FPS office to park where I did because some yahoo parked in my reserved space). Speeding tickets were routinely in the multi-hundreds. A poacher was fined $30k. I had my ticket cancelled and that made me happy.

You probably want to do more planning on where you are going to eat than buying fuel because you'll pay premium prices for food on the Parkway! That being said, the food is pretty good at Mabry Mill and Peaks of Otter.
We've stayed at the Peaks of Otter and we really like that place. We are going to stay (and eat) there again. We are also going to hit Mabry Mill Restaurant, Freeborne's Biker Lodge, The Pisgah Inn, and Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort. The Switzerland Inn (at milepost 334) is also supposed to have great food. There are more great places to eat than we will be hungry for. But we are going to stop and eat anyway!

If this were not already in NEPRT we would be thread drifting and we would need to take measures.

Since it already arrived in NEPRT where it belonged and this is still relevant to the BRP...

The Peaks of Otter has very good food. Simple, well prepared, nice everything. It is still 1964 in the rooms but they are clean and I like it.

Having stayed at The Switzerland Inn and having eaten in their restaurant I will disagree about their food. I heard and read their food was good... it was just canned or frozen pre-prepared stuff. Also, the flies made it nearly impossible to eat in peace. The hotel is nice for 1973 and the restaurant is pretty.

For my money, The Big Lynn Lodge just up the road has MUCH better food. The rooms are not as nice, but I like to eat.

The Pisgah Inn is another solid choice. Good everything.

Your fuel economy is going to be affected by how much stopping and looking you do. I would think that if your wife has any desire to stop and look you will be stopping and starting a lot. The BRP is meant for that anyway. I still do not see you getting below 45 mpg on the BRP though. I got excellent mileage on my bike heavily loaded and then later with my truck. In the truck I had my wife, son, and my parents. Between the wife and my mom we had to stop often, as it should be. Still got great mileage.

I've road the whole parkway both ways for the last 5 years. peaks of otter is good place to stay. Also take the bus ride to top very recommended. Mabry Mill great food. Switzerland inn food is ok. If you go there go down the diamondback straight down past restaurant. 12 miles one way. Gas is available but be carefull book is sometimes wrong and does not always list which way gas is. Mt Airey is only 12 miles off parkway if you are an Andy griffin fan. Virginia natrual bridge is pretty nice.

If this were not already in NEPRT we would be thread drifting and we would need to take measures.
Since it already arrived in NEPRT where it belonged and this is still relevant to the BRP...

The Peaks of Otter has very good food. Simple, well prepared, nice everything. It is still 1964 in the rooms but they are clean and I like it.

Having stayed at The Switzerland Inn and having eaten in their restaurant I will disagree about their food. I heard and read their food was good... it was just canned or frozen pre-prepared stuff. Also, the flies made it nearly impossible to eat in peace. The hotel is nice for 1973 and the restaurant is pretty.

For my money, The Big Lynn Lodge just up the road has MUCH better food. The rooms are not as nice, but I like to eat.

The Pisgah Inn is another solid choice. Good everything.

Your fuel economy is going to be affected by how much stopping and looking you do. I would think that if your wife has any desire to stop and look you will be stopping and starting a lot. The BRP is meant for that anyway. I still do not see you getting below 45 mpg on the BRP though. I got excellent mileage on my bike heavily loaded and then later with my truck. In the truck I had my wife, son, and my parents. Between the wife and my mom we had to stop often, as it should be. Still got great mileage.
Thanks for the feedback on the Switzerland Inn. Their website gave the impression of a finer "farm to table" type cuisine. What a shame. I will def check out the Big Lynn Lodge. We've never stayed at the Pisgah Inn, but it looks amazing!!

Yes, we will be doing a lot of stopping. We are breaking up the the BRP into three days so that we don't have to rush and so that we can make many stops.

I've road the whole parkway both ways for the last 5 years. peaks of otter is good place to stay. Also take the bus ride to top very recommended. Mabry Mill great food. Switzerland inn food is ok. If you go there go down the diamondback straight down past restaurant. 12 miles one way. Gas is available but be carefull book is sometimes wrong and does not always list which way gas is. Mt Airey is only 12 miles off parkway if you are an Andy griffin fan. Virginia natrual bridge is pretty nice.
I was looking at the Diamondback route and wondering if it was worth checking out. Thanks!!

Diamondback 226 and 226a are certainly worth doing.

We stayed at The Switzerland Inn and really enjoyed it. Very nice sitting area with a fire pit.

Has an awesome view. Nice pool if the weather is warm.

We mostly ate on the road. However we did do the seafood buffet. It was actually good. All you can

eat so I got my monies worth.

We did have one interaction with an LEO on the BRP. We stopped and talked to another motorcycle. My

wife and I rode away on our bikes. A few minutes latter the motorcyclist we had talked to passed us at

a pretty good rate of speed. Also passed me on a double yellow. Nothing really bad. I didn't feel

like he endangered me. He was not going crazy but probably 10-15 over.

A couple of scenic overlooks down the road we see blue lights and the guy is pulled over. It's a

big overlook so we stop and start taking pictures. Another LEO pulls in and calls me over to the car

basically said they had been clocking us and timing us between locations. He asked me how fast the

guy was going. I said "Same as us about 45", LEO laughed and said you guys were going 45 but he wasn't.

Asked if the guy passed us on a double yellow. I told the LEO I didn't think so.

He smiled and told me to have a nice day and drove away.

We stayed at The Switzerland Inn and really enjoyed it. Very nice sitting area with a fire pit.

We mostly ate on the road. However we did do the seafood buffet. It was actually good. All you can

We did have one interaction with an LEO on the BRP. We stopped and talked to another motorcycle. My

wife and I rode away on our bikes. A few minutes latter the motorcyclist we had talked to passed us at

a pretty good rate of speed. Also passed me on a double yellow. Nothing really bad. I didn't feel

A couple of scenic overlooks down the road we see blue lights and the guy is pulled over. It's a

big overlook so we stop and start taking pictures. Another LEO pulls in and calls me over to the car

basically said they had been clocking us and timing us between locations. He asked me how fast the

guy was going. I said "Same as us about 45", LEO laughed and said you guys were going 45 but he wasn't.

Asked if the guy passed us on a double yellow. I told the LEO I didn't think so.

Did they give the other rider a ticket?

Did they give the other rider a ticket?
Damn...if we would have gotten pulled over, we'd probably still be making little rocks out of big ones.

Good to know. I hate tickets. I behave on the BRP. Not like Joe, Bob, and the other crazies...

Good to know. I hate tickets. I behave on the BRP. Not like Joe, Bob, and the other crazies...
Hey! I'm not crazy. I just don't give a fuck when I get in the zone! (Except when that deer comes running out right in the apex of the turn you just entered!)

45 MPH speed limit? PFFFT! That road rocks. It is much more fun at 70 MPH. Ask Joe! Fuel economy? Who cares? There are plenty of gas stations.
punk.gif
Federal Law Enforcement Officers hate everyone and take delight in professionally meeting people such as yourself. Most have issued citations for 51 MPH in 50 zone.
Coughbullshitcough
Gee! I wish I could be as smart as you! To know something, absolutely, with absolutely no evidence.

I used to ride with a guy who carried exactly what I claimed: a citation for 51 MPH in a 50 MPH zone on the Natchez Trace (another Blue Ridge Parkway-like National Park). Nothing I have seen in 40 years of riding from Forest Rangers, Game Wardens, Military Police or any others on a Federal facility has disproven my claim. If its a number then they'll cite.

45 MPH speed limit? PFFFT! That road rocks. It is much more fun at 70 MPH. Ask Joe! Fuel economy? Who cares? There are plenty of gas stations.
punk.gif
Federal Law Enforcement Officers hate everyone and take delight in professionally meeting people such as yourself. Most have issued citations for 51 MPH in 50 zone.
Coughbullshitcough
Gee! I wish I could be as smart as you! To know something, absolutely, with absolutely no evidence.

I used to ride with a guy who carried exactly what I claimed: a citation for 51 MPH in a 50 MPH zone on the Natchez Trace (another Blue Ridge Parkway-like National Park). Nothing I have seen in 40 years of riding from Forest Rangers, Game Wardens, Military Police or any others on a Federal facility has disproven my claim. If its a number then they'll cite.
I think that might be difficult for you.

Just so you know, HRZ is something of an expert at gathering evidence. He makes his modest living as a law enforcement officer and he deals with lots of other folks who live and work all over this country. He assuredly knows more than most of us about the habits and reasoning of the law enforcement community.

In MY experience on the Natchez Trace and the Blue Ridge Parkway the officers have all been nice, polite, and professional. Of course, I treated them politely and with respect. I suspect that there are more factors than just velocity that affect whether or not one receives a citation on a Federal Facility. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
45 MPH speed limit? PFFFT! That road rocks. It is much more fun at 70 MPH. Ask Joe! Fuel economy? Who cares? There are plenty of gas stations. :punk:
Coughbullshitcough

Please show me EVIDENCE for the following statements:"Federal officers hate everyone..."

"...take delight in professionally meeting people such as yourself."

"Most have issued citations for 51 in a 50mph zone."

IF you can show me actual evidence that those statements are true, I'll retract my "bullshit" statement. I won't hold my breath. Cops, Federal, local, whatever are not robots, and most use common sense. Just like any other profession, every now and then, someone will find one who is a bonified a-hole. That guy is not nearly as common as people would have us believe.

I am not surprised that you "have a friend" that happened to. No one ever says, "Holy shit, that happened to me." Why? I'll give you three guesses, but you'll only need one.

FWIW, I've been pulled over by two federal police officers. Once in Big Bend National Park, on and enduro, making great time. He cut us a break and absolutely didn't have to. The other time was on Highway 4 here by Bandolier NP. He had us...also, cut us a break. General stereotypical statements are always less than truthful.

To close, I will say this: I usually give 10 over the posted limit and start writing cites at 11 over. Last week, I wrote two different people for 7 over and 5 over. Attitude makes a huge difference, so no "a cop wrote me a chicken-shit ticket" is complete until I hear the audio or see the video. Too many variables, and too many reasons to write someone a warning or even a full cite for one to two over, that I won't discuss here.

I had a blast on the BRP. Sometimes we were at the limit, other times a hair over, but never ridiculous, and we had FUN. Waved at a fedeal guys and gave two patches. Never had a problem.

Better yet just ride with a cop. Those get out of jail free cards never hurt if you get pulled over with a bud who has one.
smile.png

Last ticket I got was by a CHP for 65 in a 55. He had me at 84 but I am convinced my compliance attitude during our little chat as we discussed my ride helped my cause. 29 over would have really hurt my back pocket as in Ca you can't do traffic school to keep it off your insurance if you are more than 25 over posted speed limit.

Can't say I ever got a speeding ticket where I wasn't speeding.

Back to the BRP it's just like most all National Parks, whatever etc. All the feds have radar detectors and like to use them. I just chill and enjoy the ride unlike a couple stooges we know
innocent.gif