FZ1 Mirrors OEM vs. Overseas FZI replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Hotrodzilla says above

Every person I know that ordered the cheap FZ1 knockoffs hated them. They all replaced them with the OEMs. So by trying to save a few dollars, they spent even more and added frustration. This has been well documented, so if you do it, you have it coming.

FZ1 mirrors are also considerably less than FJR OEM mirrors.

Unquote

This has also been my experience

Last edited by a moderator:
I am tired of having to do full elbow tucks, or leaning to one side to see behind me. Will have to look at a few more FZ mirror pics on fjr's to decide between them and sw spacers.

I am tired of having to do full elbow tucks, or leaning to one side to see behind me. Will have to look at a few more FZ mirror pics on fjr's to decide between them and sw spacers.
FWIW, the spacers are functional, but cheesy. I helped an old member install them on his '08 and then took it for a ride. For some reason, the shape of the OEM mirror and the housing make it seem cramped, compared to the FZ1 mirrors.

Do yourself a favor and get the FZ1 mirrors. No one has ever asked if there's something wrong with my mirrors, as they look like they came with the bike. On reality, they should have. You will be amazed at your new field of view and wonder why you waited so long.

Pics in the other thread broken. I'm close to pulling the trigger. 66 and change each on partspak.

I bought the cheap knock offs. Rode with them for a month. Bought OEM. Should have listened.

Just installed them on my 06. Before I had the MV Motorrad risers I saw more elbow than road. After the risers I saw more knuckles than road. Now I have a great view of any cagers trying to sneak up on me. They also fold up a lot better making it easier to park in a tight garage. Highly recommended.

Hmm.. as the owner of two FZ1s (a Gen I and a Gen II), I'm happy I picked up a spare set of mirrors years ago - I believe my FJR has mirror extenders already installed (picking it up tonite), but I can easily compare to the Gen I FZ1 mirror to see if it's worth installing.

A note for GenIII owners, the mirror stay behind the plastic is a thin diecast that will break if you look at it. After having the extenders on my GenII and thinking they would work OK on the '14 (they do), I find they just give you more leverage to break that mirror stay........ I had an unfortunate incident that broke the stay....... I am going with FZ1's now, as I think they will fold up better and perhaps make that mirror stay less vulnerable... maybe.

A note for GenIII owners, the mirror stay behind the plastic is a thin diecast that will break if you look at it. After having the extenders on my GenII and thinking they would work OK on the '14 (they do), I find they just give you more leverage to break that mirror stay........ I had an unfortunate incident that broke the stay....... I am going with FZ1's now, as I think they will fold up better and perhaps make that mirror stay less vulnerable... maybe.

I have not unintentionally tested the FZ1 mirrors to see if they fold sufficiently to avoid breaking the stay. Given the direction in which they fold, I think they are less likely to damage the stay if the bike is dropped. Perhaps one of our members has first hand experience here.

RaYzerman19 posted: A note for GenIII owners, the mirror stay behind the plastic is a thin diecast that will break if you look at it. After having the extenders on my GenII and thinking they would work OK on the '14 (they do), I find they just give you more leverage to break that mirror stay........ I had an unfortunate incident that broke the stay....... I am going with FZ1's now, as I think they will fold up better and perhaps make that mirror stay less vulnerable... maybe.
Sorry about your unfortunate incident, Rayzerman19. I have had a few myself in parking lots and parking lot speeds, and thought my left side stay was broken. (The mirror wiggled at speed and drooped a little when parked.) During one trip to the dealer for service, the tech torqued the mounting bolts tightly and the mirror is now steady as a rock.

Bill Lumberg posted: Pics in the other thread broken. I'm close to pulling the trigger. 66 and change each on partspak.
If/When you do, PM me, please. I'd like to see them in person, because, you know, I'm rather vain.