FZ1 mirrors on a Gen3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oki

Reaction score
Since I haven't seen anyone post about it...

I spent the 15 minutes to replace the mirrors on my Gen3 with the ones from an FZ1 to try to be as cool as you Gen1/2 guys. Studs fit fine. However the indent in the cowl is looking a bit funny. Here is a side by side shot of how the base looks.

1209081_10201871910063844_1881262999_n.jpg

On the left is the new FZ1 mirror. On the right is the original FJR mirror. The FZ1 mirror base is shifted up on the indent and not centered. It seems to function fine otherwise.

Maybe if it really bothers me, I'll fashion a spacer to fill the hole at some point.

My biggest concern is the rubber shroud that the base of the mirror is wrapped in. It flexes and bends to accommodate the folding stalk. Hopefully it won't rub the paint underneath raw over time.

I'll ask because I'm very curious. I'm glad they fit, however.... What do they look like from a bit of a distance.

And I thought I could see pretty well from the original mirrors. Do these improve your rearward visibility. I have to tip my left elbow to see behind me, the right always seems to be ok.

If you have any plans of selling the original mirrors could you put me first in line and PM me. I'd love a right one if you're going to sell them separate, but I'd be willing to take both if you won't part with them.

Here's what they look like.

1229904_10201886272102886_1751709932_n.jpg

They push the mirrors up and out. I can actually see behind my trunk. No more elbows and having to move my head over to see behind. However, the mirrors appear to be a bit shorter and therefore the image is not as wide vertically.

They look pretty nice. It would be good to be able to see easier behind you. Thanks for the pictures, I had always wondered what they looked like.

If the threaded shanks are long enough, I would get a 1/8" sheet of hard rubber cut ti to fit the diameter of the recess and make a base plate for the mirrors. That would fill the recess and likely prevent any chance of damaging the paint. That is what I did on my 2007 to fill the gap.

it takes a bit of muking around but you can fit the rubber around the spacer and you cant tell the difference

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set my '13. Not quite as effective as the FZ mirrors were on the '04 but better than stock.

What is the difference gary..... ?!

width or height or both.... Got Pics ?!?!!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably width. I still see some of my shoulders. I haven't mucked with the mirrors too much as shortly after I installed them the bike went to the shop. It's been there few weeks and will probably be another week to 10 days before I get it back. There could still be some optimization that I haven't worked with the mirror adjustment.

Or....Put Gerauld's light mounts behind them. And then get some lights and / or Baker air wings.
FYI, if you get Geraulds bracket you need to get Gen 1 brackets
So that's the plan for Gen III bikes? Is there a spacer or summat to bring the mount points up flush to the fairing surface?

Hm. I have a friend with a 3D printer. Seems like just the thing to make a couple oddly-shaped space fillers. Hm.