G2 Ergo Throttle or Spring Unwind or both?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROBSMST

Reaction score
So I've noticed that with my winter gloves for what ever reason my hand/wrist gets sore (no so with the summer fingerless gloves).

I like the idea of a more linear throttle response at lower speeds bu I'm not sure that would solve my sore throttle hand. I've read that the G2 and spring mod may be too much (stuck throttle, not strong enough return etc). I have an AE so the throttle closing when I let go is important as I have no clutch lever.

I'm not sure that the G2 would address my sore wrist would it? I mean after you get on the highway and need to be at highway speeds isn't it pulling with the same force as the stock throttle cam? Hence I would still get sore?

I have the Throttlemeister and use that for when I am on cruise control however I do need something else for when I'm varying speeds a lot more.

I will try the cramp buster. Anyone know what size to get? I have the AE thus it comes with heated grips (and the Throttlemeister may have fattened them up a little.

get the standard unless you are using grip puppies or some other type foam grip addon, then get the oversized

So I've noticed that with my winter gloves for what ever reason my hand/wrist gets sore (no so with the summer fingerless gloves).
I like the idea of a more linear throttle response at lower speeds bu I'm not sure that would solve my sore throttle hand. I've read that the G2 and spring mod may be too much (stuck throttle, not strong enough return etc). I have an AE so the throttle closing when I let go is important as I have no clutch lever.

I'm not sure that the G2 would address my sore wrist would it? I mean after you get on the highway and need to be at highway speeds isn't it pulling with the same force as the stock throttle cam? Hence I would still get sore?
My opinion is to both. They address two different problems which happen to both effect the throttle use. I had the owner of my local Yamaha dealer do both on his personal FJR and he was very happy.

I use the G2 and let one twist off the throttle spring on my '06. Throttle on response, (smoothness) is greatly improved and less spring tension still allows quick throttle shutdown with much reduced wrist fatigue. :fan_1:

This is a cheap fix for a couple of problems.

I later installed an AudioVox cruise control for Highway use and man, is it nice! :yahoo:

Rob

I'm waiting for see if the new cam for the 2008 can be purchased and installed on my 2006 as a more direct and less expensive solution than the G2.

I did the G2 first and then a few months later I did the spring thing. I liked the effect of the spring fix more than the effect of the G2, but I really like having both. Of course, it could very well be that if I'd done the 2 in reverse order I might feel that the G2 was the better fix for the way I wanted it to feel. For me it wasn't as much trying to fix 2 separate throttle effects as it was to just "like the throttle" more than I did.

Bunsen

I did the spring unwind first then the G2 mod and found that throttle return was a little weak. So I re-sprung it back to stock. The cramp buster may be the answer for your wrist - I haven't tried one, but maybe will in the spring.

Herkypilot

I did the G2 first and then a few months later I did the spring thing. I liked the effect of the spring fix more than the effect of the G2, but I really like having both. Of course, it could very well be that if I'd done the 2 in reverse order I might feel that the G2 was the better fix for the way I wanted it to feel. For me it wasn't as much trying to fix 2 separate throttle effects as it was to just "like the throttle" more than I did.

Bunsen
I did the spring as soon as I got home from the dealer on the new bike. The G2 came a few months later. And guess what? Opposite of you, I like the effect of the G2 much more than the spring thing. But like you surmised, it's probably the order that makes one feel superior than the other. Two months and 2600 miles later I would still do both mods!

I did both plus throttlemiester and grip puppies. All helped some. What really made the difference was MCL's bar riser. The combination of bar riser and TM have virtually eliminated hand and wrist problems. I have taken my grip puppies off becasue I think I get a better feel of the throttle w/o them. Probably just a personal thing. But here's the thing- why do we have to go through all this in the first place?

I did the G2 and was initially not that impressed. I then took it apart and lubed it quite well. now I'm impressed. I also put on the grip puppies. Much bigger target to hold. I have a trottle lock which I need to give my right hand a rest once in a while. It just needs to let go and flex every so often.

I rode a BMW 1150 last week and I had the same issues with my right hand wanting to be able to relax once in a while only on my friends bike there was no way to do it.

I have not done the throttle spring thing. Tried a few throttles at EOM and didn't feel enough of a difference.

my 2 c.

I have the Throttlemeister and use that for when I am on cruise control however I do need something else for when I'm varying speeds a lot more.
I will try the cramp buster. Anyone know what size to get? I have the AE thus it comes with heated grips (and the Throttlemeister may have fattened them up a little.
I have the same set-up you're talking about. I bought the larger crampbuster. I can hold that down with my thump and set the meister with my fingers.

G2 will help with the throttle response.

Unwind the spring one and that will take away the throttle pressure.

Get a set of grip puppies and that will give you something bigger to hold on to and will help with hand fatigue.

I have a cruise control and a throttle meister and hardly ever use them. My hand does not hurt anymore unless I am holding the grip tightly.