G2 Throttle tube for 06-07 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Reaction score
Following a lead on battery deals here, I was checking out Bike Effects. I noticed that they had the G2 Throttle Tube upgrade for 06-07 FJRs for smoothing the throttle cable pull on those bikes, which was fixed by Momma Yama in 2008.

40-400.jpg

https://www.bikeeffects.com/products.asp?cat=8590

I ordered one, but am wondering, has anyone tried this upgrade? What's the difficulty level to install this?

Last edited by a moderator:
It should take no more than 5 minutes. It's very easy. Hardest part is getting the grip off, but when you use one of the "tricks" it's a breeze. There are several tricks posted elsewhere on the forum. Some use compressed air. I used Glass Plus. Worked like a charm.

Do yourself a favor and install grip puppies at the same time.

Mac

How ironic, I just put one on a few days ago, cant even tell you what I think about it yet. It is very simple to put on. I used compressed air to get the grip off, very easy as well. Didnt put on any grip puppies, not seen a need for that yet.

I will let you know after next week at the SFO in Arkansas. Got 4 days of all day twisty riding planned, should know something by then, I hope!

Do yourself a favor and install grip puppies at the same time.Mac
Good suggestion. I think I will. My hands give me terrible trouble on longish rides. My FJR grips always felt too small.

Thanks to all for the replies. I always hate to take the throttle control apart. Getting it all strung back in there can be a real hassle on some bikes.

Compressed air has always worked very well for me.

This is install can be easy, or a complete pain in the butt. Really, a huge pain in the butt.

Since you have the AE model with the electric grips pay close attention to the positions of the wires coming from the grip and how they are placed in the housing. I suggest using a black marker of grease pen to mark the position of the grip in reference to the metal housing that you remove to change the tube.

This is install can be easy, or a complete pain in the butt. Really, a huge pain in the butt.
Since you have the AE model with the electric grips pay close attention to the positions of the wires coming from the grip and how they are placed in the housing. I suggest using a black marker of grease pen to mark the position of the grip in reference to the metal housing that you remove to change the tube.
Thanks, John. I had a feeling it might be.

I installed the G2 and it helped a little. The cure was the PCIII. When I add heated grips I probably won't try to keep the G2 because the heated grips come with a throttle tube.

Do yourself a favor and install grip puppies at the same time.Mac
Good suggestion. I think I will. My hands give me terrible trouble on longish rides. My FJR grips always felt too small.

Thanks to all for the replies. I always hate to take the throttle control apart. Getting it all strung back in there can be a real hassle on some bikes.

Compressed air has always worked very well for me.
That was the same problem I had, the grips being too small. The grip puppies made them just the right size for me and an added advantage is they help soak up any viberation and also help in applying the throttle smoothly.

Mac

Ah, the new Gen II throttle tube for my 2006 AE arrived today. Installation pushed fairly difficult. That was the most stubborn grip I've ever removed. I couldn't do it by myself. A friend dropped by and helped me by holding the air hose and steadying it while I pulled on it with a tube stuck in against a piece of wood on my stomach. Usually they just shoot right off. Not this one.

Hooking it back up was fairly straight forward, though I had to switch things around a few times until I got the cables and heater wire where they go. Like most of the bike throttles I've messed with, it would have been handy to be an octopus to hold all the cables and wires in place while you put the housing back together.

All in all, it is a very good improvement and well worth the money and effort. Much smoother response than the standard 2006 throttle tube.

Mine went on this week and it is much smoother through the corners. It's a great way to spend $60. My concern was losing the heated grips somehow on the AE but they seem to be working fine. The new grip pupies make them take longer to heat up now.