Garauld Refreshment System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad sketch and idea. :good: Very doable, but those clamps are $15 (Zinc-plated CS) or $42 each (SST) which is a bit more than using straps.... I may make one up using the CS one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone really ride long enough in one sitting that becoming hydratoin is a major issue?

Aside from riding in the desert of course. I normally stop every 2 - 2.5 hours (or as necessary for gas) and can grab something to drink at that point.

Maybe a good accessory for the IBR'ers out there.
What I wouldn't have give for a system like this while we traveled through KS, MO, IL, IN, OH and PA last year during the extreme heat alert. We found ourselves standing in beer coolers and drinking massive quantities of water at stops every 100 miles. Turns out I should have had a cooling vest too. Nearly as bad returning through OH, MI, WI, MN, SD and WY.

I was considering getting one of the Geigerrig Hydration engines. Expensive, but it is pressurized so you can spray water and not have to suck to get a drink. I'll wait on this one now.

Gerauld, Would this Geigerig bladder be able to be integrated into the cooler to have a positive pressure system, and easily removable unit for refills?

417z9nv8%2BaL._SS500_.jpg

There initially will be no outer fabric "jacket" in an effort to keep costs down.

GarauldDethirstSystem.jpg
While an insulated textile container might be nice..I appreciate where you're going. The insulated nature of the Skyway items *helped* keep the contents cold longer, but more than 6 hours in a hot day and even you're icy water was usually melted. The additional function of the container was to keep the jug positioned.

One advantage I can see from your idea is that you could use a variety of jugs and not just the one brand and model (Igloo) that the Skyway items required.

And if anybody wants containers.....LindaT at customtankbags.com is probably a good source for those.

Does anyone really ride long enough in one sitting that becoming hydratoin is a major issue?
Aye! :yahoo:

And it's not just doing LD rides or when it's blazing hot. Except for early season rides when it's cold and stop regularly--I ride with two of the Skyway systems installed. Filling up a jug with ice and water is usually easier, quicker, and cheaper than buying bottled stuff every stop. Having liquid while you're riding is a very nice thing to have...and good for you to keep fluid levels right.

Seems like it would increase the pee-stops as well.
Absolutely it does. However, pee stops are far better than the alternative of having to call 911 for an unconscious rider that didn't hydrate well enough. Riders can manage far better their intake and evacuation of fluids if they have liquids available on their bike vs. waiting until the next fuel stop.

It looks like it might just fit inside the 1/2 gal. Coleman jug I designed it for. You would need to drill another hole in the jug lid for the air supply hose. I found my jug at K-mart.

What I wouldn't have give for a system like this while we traveled through KS, MO, IL, IN, OH and PA last year during the extreme heat alert. We found ourselves standing in beer coolers and drinking massive quantities of water at stops every 100 miles. Turns out I should have had a cooling vest too. Nearly as bad returning through OH, MI, WI, MN, SD and WY.

I was considering getting one of the Geigerrig Hydration engines. Expensive, but it is pressurized so you can spray water and not have to suck to get a drink. I'll wait on this one now.

Gerauld, Would this Geigerig bladder be able to be integrated into the cooler to have a positive pressure system, and easily removable unit for refills?

Is this a bag-in-a-bag deal? Pressurize the outer bag to make the water flow uphill?

From someone who is very familiar with the original version... I guess if it's not hot & you're sipping on it, it would increase pee breaks. When it's hot, you're sweating the water out of your pores, drinking on the bike during hot weather does not increase the pee frequency...at least for me. YMMV

I'm someone that dehydrates easily & it only seems like it happens while I'm riding in mesh. I cramp & start feeling sick because of dehydration. Hydrating during riding helps me tremendously.

If I wasn't already sporting an original, I'd be putting my order in with Gary.

I bet these go like hotcakes!

& Gary, IMO your design will work well. Really, I wouldn't change a thing. The jug working itself loose from the top is hugely far fetched. I guess that it is possible if there wasn't actual force holding it to the base... but that's only my opinion... I'm just a girl. :yahoo:

Is this a bag-in-a-bag deal? Pressurize the outer bag to make the water flow uphill?
Pretty much. It uses an air bladder behind the water bladder to create positive water pressure. That means you can get flow without sucking, and you can use that flow to rinse your face, wet down clothing, wash windshields, and drink more easily. You can also release that hot water that is in the hose before taking a drink.

Geigerrig is into serving the sports and moto communities. A well designed motorcycle-specific hydration system using these bladders that is an alternative to a backpack would have tremendous marketing potential.

Aside from riding in the desert of course. I normally stop every 2 - 2.5 hours (or as necessary for gas) and can grab something to drink at that point.

Hydrating WHILE riding makes for a more comfortable ride IMHO and leads to less general aches, pains, and headaches.

Looking forward to this new system! I'd love to retire my Camelbak. :D

I was thinking about something like this (but think I've seen somehting like it before on the forum here somewhere). I think it's similar to the water jug mounts you see on the back of work-trucks, though. The strap clamps are highly adjustable using a worm gear threaded adjustment.

hydration.jpg

Apologies for the old-school design work, it is in full color, though.
The problem I see with this setup is it makes it hard to remove the jug at stops. A lot of the time when I stop at a gas station with a mini-mart, I take the jug in and fill up with ice from the soda dispenser, and buy a gallon bottle of water, which is usually cheaper than a 1 liter bottle. As long as you're buying something, I've never had a problem grabbing ice from the dispenser.

With this setup, you'd have to bring the ice and water out to the bike each time, which wouldn't always be practical.

Yes I ride long enough and far enough that this is an issue. Staying hydrated is essential even on a 200 to 300 mile ride. I feel better if I can have water anytime I want it. It is not enough to water up while getting gas. You don't have to be an in a Iron Butt Rally to appreciate staying hydrated.

The problem I see with this setup is it makes it hard to remove the jug at stops.
Actually, it should not be an issue. Pull the hose out of the top lid, unspring the clamp and slide the jug out - easy. An issue I see is the swing of the clamp handle when the setup is moved to the other side of the bike. The clamp would need to be made reversible so it doesn't interfere with the bag lid or other panel. ;)

It would be easy to over complicate this.

I sewed up a cover for mine that's similar to the original. I'm sure it helps keep the fluid cooler, but it also keeps the jug clean!

That being said, it rides in a position that's fairly protected. I kill very few bugs with it so I doubt there's an issue with your prototype staying put. Between the straps and the tubing and the fact that its resting against the rear bag, it's pretty solid.

What I really like about mine is that I installed the tubing through the side wall of the jug, just below the lid.

If I just want to add fluid on the go... I just unzip the case take off the lid and fill, without having to hassle with the tube.

If I want to remove the jug, I pull the tube out and unclip the case.

So Garauld, your idea is strong!

The base with, slots for straps, is really the key! That was the part that was beyond my skill. I would have been all over your option!

Your strap solution looks very functional and brilliantly simple!

Truth is I rarely have to refill mid ride and would have plenty of time to do so anyway. Under serious rally mode I think a case works better but can easily be added using your straps, so nothing is wasted.

Either way the "customizing" could get fun! I expect to see someone around here try to cover theirs to look like a sheep! :blink:

]
insidetube.jpg

The more I see this, the more I think I'm IN. I usually carry my CamelBak, but this would eliminate the on/off every time I take my jacket off. One less thing to carry in. Easier to fill, easier to clean, and nothing on my back.

Yup...Definitely put me down for one.

Nice idea(s). What ever straps/clamps are use, won't the have to allow the jug to be easily removed to be refilled?

7X

Once I know I am getting one and what jug number to get from Coleman I will start looking for insulation of one type or another. I am sure there is bulk neoprene, or other insulation materials that can be cut and glued on. Even into pipe insulation of that size will be a thought.

Can not wait to get one!

Will be nice to get the Camel Back off my back in 90 to 100 degree rides.

This is the jug that I am using for my design parameters. The Rubbermaid jug is wider and will not fit inside the base.

Coleman 1/2 Gal
That jug looks ideal if you go for the metal strap hose clamp. It looks like it has some contour on the surface that the clamp could grab hold of to keep it locked down tight.

Seems like others here are in favor of he quick release nylon straps. Not sure if they realize that the hose clamp also has a quick release feature for easy removal, although you'd probably have to lift the jug vertically through the loosened clamp - not sure if you could just tip it and pull it out sideways as with the nylon straps.

$7 for the jug, how much for the clamping mechanism?

i have been looking but I cannot see what you are going to be charging? Speaking as someone from Canada if it is possible, I would probably prefer an option to supply my own jug to save on shipping (assuming I can source a correctly sized jug locally).

-worney

May I ask how it is going to be attached to the rear foot peg area? I have running boards back there and if possible it would be nice to have some sort of easy way to take the Refreshment System on and off.

Thanks for undertaking this project. I would be interested in purchasing this product.