Garauld Refreshment System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask how it is going to be attached to the rear foot peg area? I have running boards back there and if possible it would be nice to have some sort of easy way to take the Refreshment System on and off.

Thanks for undertaking this project. I would be interested in purchasing this product.
If it's like every other system, the rubber mount on the stock peg would be removed and it would be attached via the two bolts that are there. In your case, you may find it easier/quicker to just purchase another rear peg for cheap and attach the hydration system to it, and keep your running boards. If you need the hydration system, just remove the peg and bolt on the one attached to the hydration system.

If it's like every other system, the rubber mount on the stock peg would be removed and it would be attached via the two bolts that are there. In your case, you may find it easier/quicker to just purchase another rear peg for cheap and attach the hydration system to it, and keep your running boards. If you need the hydration system, just remove the peg and bolt on the one attached to the hydration system.
That is correct. :thumbsup:

BTW, no price has been determined yet - still fine-tuning the design. I expect the cost to be under $70 w/o the jug, which I bought for $5 at K-mart. ;)

BTW, no price has been determined yet - still fine-tuning the design. I expect the cost to be under $70 w/o the jug, which I bought for $5 at K-mart. ;)
If you have them ready by mid-to-late April I may just make a detour from my route and pick one up. I'd have about 3-4k miles home to doing some testing for ya. ;)

If you have them ready by mid-to-late April I may just make a detour from my route and pick one up. I'd have about 3-4k miles home to doing some testing for ya. ;)
There's some nice riding through the Finger Lakes/Southern Tier areas in NY.

This topic interests me as I reside in the armpit of Houston, TX. Without trying to enrage the FJR herd, being a noob n all, I do have a concern, ignore comments if not applicable.

My concern with your 3 strap/ring design centers around the strap lengths retaining the jug in position. Let's say you were hustling along/late at night/tired/brain fart etc and forget to snap 1 of the 3 clips in place, or forgot to replace the jug for whatever reason. Potentially the straps are long enough to allow that ring to find its way toward a moving rear wheel. If I'm following your thread correctly, it is mounting right next to the rear wheel?

Im not sure what load the straps combined with round disk can play with the forward momentum of the bike. Maybe you have already thought this through and have compensated in your design to accommodate for this? If so please can you elaborate...

I like the idea of this product and would consider purchasing a unit, providing my safety will not be compromised.

Good input. Before you posted, I updated the design of the system which reduced the length of the lower straps. I have since updated the image in the first post. I don't think they would be long enough to interfere with the rear wheel if one was detached. The other option of using a lever-actuated clamp is under consideration - this does not use straps. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my CAD model of MFerriter's clamp idea. I plan to build one for evaluation. The clamp is fully adjustable so it can clamp the jug as tightly as necessary. Comments?

GarauldRefreshmentSystem-Clamp.jpg

Here's my CAD model of MFerriter's clamp idea. I plan to build one for evaluation. The clamp is fully adjustable so it can clamp the jug as tightly as necessary. Comments?

Perhaps some rubber lining the inside of the top ring, to give it more grip and also to prevent any scratching of the container or tearing any cover that the end user has installed?

Comments?
Looks perfect--simple and secure. An insulating sleeve of some kind would be good too. This looks so much easier to just pull the bottle off the bike and take it inside to fill it up.

I see Coleman has jugs in lots of sizes--half gallon, gallon, two, etc. I'm wondering if you plan to make it for just one size jug, or maybe something that would accommodate more than one size, maybe for shorter or longer trips. Or does the base have to fit a specific diameter? How big was the other guy's bottle?

The base was designed for the Coleman 1/2 gal jug (which are very readily available) and also to use standard metal sizes to keep costs down. I don't think it will fit the Rubbermaid jug which is a bit fatter. I will offer to ship jugs as an option at cost. I have no plans to make a mount for larger jugs. See above thread re: pee stops... :p

Looks good. Not sure if I need one yet, but let me know how it works.

Would the buckle be in a position to dig into a leg if, heaven forbid, you went down on that side?

I like the soft bag and plastic buckles. With the only metal being a thick, blunt base plate. Just thinking out loud!

There are some really nice components that buyers of this system could add. THIS LINK has insulated and non-insulated drinking tubes, quick connectors and bite valves. This are the same components used on Geigerrig units and they are slick., Some components are not all that cheap, but you can build a premium system without tearing apart an existing hydration unit.

These quick-connects are leak-proof and let you quickly disconnect tubing for refills.

20708075.jpg