Garauld Refreshment System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest that the clamp folds to the rear to lock, to reduce accidental opening.
I tried to place it facing the rear, but that would place the adjuster right over the upright making attachment an issue. The clamp is in the most functional location. There is quite a bit of tension on the lever making accidental unlatching unlikely. There is a set of locking holes in the latch so you could insert a cotter pin or similar to prevent it from unlatching. Even if it were to pop open, the jug probably would not come out unless you were motocrossing. :rolleyes:

I suggest that the clamp folds to the rear to lcck, to reduce accidental opening. It should be possible to reverse the clamp for left or right side mounting. The clamp design is better than the strap because it has the advantage of making it possible to fill the jug without detaching it.
I was going to note the same thing. I move around enough on a long ride that I'm sure I'd eventually snag the latch unless it was pointing backwards. if it can't be flipped over, then a bit of gaffer tape or a wire tie would secure it. Gaffer tape would make a smoother surface in case of roadside "spillage". It never needs to be removed during a trip anyway. That takes too much time, open the lid, dump a bag of ice in, top off with water from a bottle of the cheapest they have, and get going again. The clock is ticking. In-and-out for a fuel stop should be kept under 15 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good discussions. The current clamp design was defined by having the capability of switching the unit from the right to the left side of the bike as per the original hydration system. To me, I would only have it mounted on the right side to avoid having to place the bike on the centerstand to remove the jug. If I made it only right side capable, I could easily move the upright bracket to a location amenable to having the lever face rearward. This is a good thing and I plan to offer that alternative. :)

Maybe I'm missing something but it sure looks like it would be easy enough to just unscrew the two screws that hold the clamp to the upright, flip it over, and reattach it so the latch faces the opposite way. It does appear that would bring the latch more towards the front though if the same mounting holes were used. But a couple new mounting holes in the clamp would take care of that.

So what am I missing because I'm sure you thought of that?

Jon...

OK, I flipped the clamp as shown in the following pic. I would not have an issue with this location. The adjuster is close (1/2") to the saddlebag but it won't scratch it if the footpeg pivots up. You could always drill a couple more holes and reposition the clamp to suit a specific need. I like it. Comments?

P1010880.jpg

OK, I flipped the clamp as shown in the following pic. I would not have an issue with this location. The adjuster is close (1/2") to the saddlebag but it won't scratch it if the footpeg pivots up. You could always drill a couple more holes and reposition the clamp to suit a specific need. I like it. Comments?

P1010880.jpg
I think I prefer the original orientation -- this one seems like it might be more likely to catch your pants on the latch as the rider mounts and dismounts from the bike.

But if the owner has the choice, it's all good -- pick the setup that works best for your situation.

Looks good. As far as catching on a pant leg I would just drill a couple new holes and reposition the clamp to the outside like it was before flipping it.

In fact, if both sets of holes were already in the clamp then no matter what side of the bike it was mounted on, or how the end user wanted to set it up, the option would already be built into the design ;)

Jon...

In fact, if both sets of holes were already in the clamp then no matter what side of the bike it was mounted on, or how the end user wanted to set it up, the option would already be built into the design
That is correct - I didn't drill any extra holes. The clamp is zinc-plated carbon steel, so it would be easy to drill another pair of holes if the user wanted to reposition it somewhere else. It will also be powdercoated for additional corrosion-resistance and looks. :)

In fact, if both sets of holes were already in the clamp then no matter what side of the bike it was mounted on, or how the end user wanted to set it up, the option would already be built into the design
That is correct - I didn't drill any extra holes. The clamp is zinc-plated carbon steel, so it would be easy to drill another pair of holes if the user wanted to reposition it somewhere else. It will also be powdercoated for additional corrosion-resistance and looks. :)
I've got another idea regarding this clamp concept, but would involve cutting and bending metal:

It would be nice if the shape of the clamp followed the curve of the jug, so that the release lever end of the clamp wasn't sticking out quite so much at a tangent to the OD of the jug/clamp.

Probably more of an aesthetic issue than a functional one, but it might elleviate some folks concern about "catching" their pantleg on the clamp if it was somewhat more flush. I'll have a look around to see if they sell this sort of thing. Cutting and bending would probably add considerably to the cost.

This one is bent and has a secondary clip to keep it from opening accidentally when doing jumps or backflips.

Handles.jpg

You think anyone would be happier with the threaded worm drive tightening system over the QR clamp?

To be honest, I don't see catching a pant leg on the clamp lever in the pictures as an issue. It takes a considerable amount of force to unlatch it. Also, being that it is adjustable, you can tighten it up further, and then you could always insert a small pin or ziptie thru the lever to secure it even more.

I see I can have custom clamps made up similar to the previous post, but at what cost? I know the standard clamp I have isn't cheap.

To be honest, I don't see catching a pant leg on the clamp lever in the pictures as an issue. It takes a considerable amount of force to unlatch it. Also, being that it is adjustable, you can tighten it up further, and then you could always insert a small pin or ziptie thru the lever to secure it even more.

I see I can have custom clamps made up similar to the previous post, but at what cost? I know the standard clamp I have isn't cheap.
I agree with you, but some people seem to have concerns. They should probably try it first. I use clamps like this for many applications, and have never had one open accidentally. If you can drop a locking pin in the lever mechanism, that eliminates the possiblity.

Hello all - I plan to start a new thread in the Group Buys area shortly (a day or 2) after I determine what the final price will be. I will be in touch with those riders that have already expressed interest (including you, Fontanaman). ;)
I'm up for the clamping system.

Personal opinion: you've already hit nirvana - don't over-engineer!

Let me know when you set up the group buy post.... can't wait

I found it!

Just in from ebay. ($14 shipped) 3 mil Neoprene Cooler Cover from Cooler Coozies

A perfect fit! I'm not to crazy about the logo (I have mine on inside out)

cooler_coozie.jpg