Garmin Basecamp Routing Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the post, Marty....My maps are both 2016.10My GPS unit is the 590LM

It's weird that when I plug my gps into the computer and click to see the route in the unit, it looks exactly the same as how it looks on the computer.

Yes, I hope someone has another explanation or remedy.
We'll let the others duke it out over what's the best, I don't care. I like you want to effectively use what I got. I too used to get frustrated with my Garmin changing the route I developed in BaseCamp, aka MapSource. I think I see your problem...

Does your gps have a preview function? I mean, after I do the "export to device", I disconnect from the computer and then "import route" on the device. Then I pick the route and "preview" it- I zoom way in ON THE DEVICE and see if the gps with its calculation style has changed the route I sent it from BaseCamp.

I learned through trial, error & frustration that if the device is plugged into the computer, the route on the device will ALWAYS perfectly mirror the route in BaseCamp. It's not until you disconnect the device from the computer that we can see if there have been any changes. After a few times of re-connecting and going back to BaseCamp to add unannounced via points to keep the route from changing I got a pretty good idea of what to do while using BaseCamp to keep it from changing on the gps.

I have some other news.....not sure if anyone knows this and I do not recall seeing it in Ed's How to use BaseCamp guide:

If I create a route in BaseCamp that has more than 29 via points, my gps unit (590LM) will automatically split that route into 2 segments.

I am not sure where it decides to split it (which is a little annoying).

I remembered this happening to me before, but I could not remember what the cut-off number was.

So, when creating a route in BaseCamp, you may want to limit your via points to 28 or 29 so that you know when to start the 2nd segment of your route, when you are traveling.

All these threads are useful to bring up issues to explore. Its all good.
Says the guy who's GPS means Gravel Precision Source...
Hey, I hate gravel probably more than you do. But I ain'ta scared of it neither.
nono.gif
I resemble that remark .
bleh.gif

BaseCamp?....for me, it's a love and hate relationship..
black%20eye.gif

Iris, I was not aware of that limit on a single route as the GPS has a limit of 1000 waypoints. I'll have to check on this, but I believe the limit is on waypoints that are announced. You can have unlimited shaping (via) points. I have found that importing routes with too many waypoints not only makes the route cluttered, but also crams more waypoints into the GPS that I don't want to have in Favorites. Most routes I create have few waypoints unless I'm navigating across the country, and even then I will split the route into segments to avoid the problems that come from a route spanning days of travel and many locations.

Having lost the last 20 minutes of my life going through this thread I find that BeemerDons was correct. Garmin is the source of all evil.

I have some other news.....not sure if anyone knows this and I do not recall seeing it in Ed's How to use BaseCamp guide:
If I create a route in BaseCamp that has more than 29 via points, my gps unit (590LM) will automatically split that route into 2 segments.

I remembered this happening to me before, but I could not remember what the cut-off number was.

So, when creating a route in BaseCamp, you may want to limit your via points to 28 or 29 so that you know when to start the 2nd segment of your route, when you are traveling.
I wonder if this restriction is model dependent. I have no such limit on my nuvi but it may simply be terminology. I do know for a trip last year I made 10 different segments and labeled them 1-10 just to keep them in order. I then merged them all together for #11 and my nuvi had no difficulty displaying #11 in its entirety, roughly 770 miles with way more than 29 shaping, via and way points.

I wonder if this restriction is model dependent. I have no such limit on my nuvi but it may simply be terminology. I do know for a trip last year I made 10 different segments and labeled them 1-10 just to keep them in order. I then merged them all together for #11 and my nuvi had no difficulty displaying #11 in its entirety, roughly 770 miles with way more than 29 shaping, via and way points.
I expect that it is model dependent. I once created a long route in Basecamp with many points and downloaded it to my 2720. It loaded fine but when I got about three quarters of the way to my destination the 2720 indicated that was the end of the route. Point is, each model behaves differently.

I believe it is model specific. I usually only have 2, 3, or maybe 4 Waypoints in a route.

All the others are shaping points or via points. I make all my via points unannounced.

Maybe someone else with a 590 LM Can chime in.

None of my other GPS's ever did this.

Latest posts