Gary McCoy - Umotors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your are going print them a copy of this, you might as well print out the Dealer feedback section for U-motors. Hopefully that would help convince the boss just how valueable Gary (and his crew) were.

I've been emailing with Mike Kolstad from University Motors regarding some prizes for SFO. He is still with the company but at the Fergus Falls MN location now. He knows how upset the forum is over Gary's departure. He wanted me to let you know that he is still around and very willing to help out in any way he can. I assured him that I would share this with you guys and that yes, Gary's departure was being discussed on the forum here.

I've been emailing with Mike Kolstad from University Motors regarding some prizes for SFO. He is still with the company but at the Fergus Falls MN location now. He knows how upset the forum is over Gary's departure. He wanted me to let you know that he is still around and very willing to help out in any way he can. I assured him that I would share this with you guys and that yes, Gary's departure was being discussed on the forum here.
Good to know he landed on his feet. Hate to give money to the parent dealer though after doing all this.

Good to know he landed on his feet. Hate to give money to the parent dealer though after doing all this.
I think fjrchik is indicating that Mike wanted us to know that Mike was still there at UMotors to serve us...I don't think Gary is the "he" in this case. I may be wrong though...

I think fjrchik is indicating that Mike wanted us to know that Mike was still there at UMotors to serve us...I don't think Gary is the "he" in this case. I may be wrong though...
Wheaton is correct.

He is still with the company but at anothert location .

So, that is the same as if he were at the same location. the rules apply the same at both locations. He will be informational

help only and since they are one of the same it still equals no more great buys or am I understanding this wrong?

UMotors moved a few months back. Its the local Yamaha dealer close to me. A lot of you probably never seen the old place but it was much to be desired very small they sold boats, snowmobiles and motorcycles in this little shop. I guess when they rebuilt they must of felt that the new building would do there sales for them. Boy are they going to be wrong. New and large isn't always better. How would everybody feel if i printed some of this stuff and hand delivered it to U motors it would be my pleasure?
I just wonder if they would really give a chit? Most businesses that get big don't seem to. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tom

He is still with the company but at anothert location .
So, that is the same as if he were at the same location. the rules apply the same at both locations. He will be informational

help only and since they are one of the same it still equals no more great buys or am I understanding this wrong?
Please reread post #1.

UMotors moved a few months back. Its the local Yamaha dealer close to me. A lot of you probably never seen the old place but it was much to be desired very small they sold boats, snowmobiles and motorcycles in this little shop. I guess when they rebuilt they must of felt that the new building would do there sales for them. Boy are they going to be wrong. New and large isn't always better. How would everybody feel if i printed some of this stuff and hand delivered it to U motors it would be my pleasure?
I don't think any action is necessary, especially one of this type that would inflame the issue. Gary McCoy has been very helpful to many on this forum (and the FJ Forum, and the V-max forum). He gave us great discounts, but business changes, and since the new owners are now setting different parameters for HOW they want to do business, the best thing we can do if offer our sympathy to Gary. We don't know their bottom line, we haven't invested money in their venture, we don't know what their bookkeepers and accountants are telling them they must do to arrive at an acceptable balance sheet (P&L statement).

One would think that Gary and the current owners saw their business from different viewpoints. In the end, the owner gets what he wants...he's the one writing the checks. So either continue to buy from them or find another source.

This discussion has led me to begin the "Parts Source Thread" (Linked Here) under FAQ so that those on the forum can find other avenues for their supply. I have added U-motors based on the information Michele gave us. They are still a valuable resource for OEM parts.

We may not agree with their chosen course of action, but like other's interpersonal relationships (marriages, etc.), we don't live in their houses, so we don't know all of the details and the dynamics that lead to the decisions that were made. IF the business decisions are "off target", the marketplace will determine that. Of course, failure means that many more mechanics, parts people, salesmen and clericals would be out of work, so think about that before you react with glee.

The only dogs I have in this fight is the loss of a distant fellow enthusiast who served the Yamaha biking community and the future parts availability for FJR Forum members.

I have dealt with Mike K. in the past and found him to be as helpful as Gary was. In face, Gary, who had moved up to sales manager, sent me an email to direct me to Mike in parts. Customer service is what they were known for and I hope that is the one basic business principle they still adhere to.

Thanks, fjrchik, for the update and the clarification (And Wheaton for the "interpretation"!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about most of you business men but I think 15% of what business this site promoted for them is way better than the 0% is is going to be generated by the way they treated Gary. Do the math. 15% or 0%. What would your business prefer?

I don't know about most of you business men but I think 15% of what business this site promoted for them is way better than the 0% is is going to be generated by the way they treated Gary. Do the math. 15% or 0%. What would your business prefer?
I have to disagree with you some.

I agree with MM2, the new owners had to pay something for the business, which the previous owners may have owned long enough to not have any debt associated with "owning" the business. That being said, the new owners probably (most likely) have more overhead to cover since they either financed buying the business through a lender or are trying to pull enough out over time to re-pay themselves for investment in the business. The new owners undoubtedly evaluated the overhead costs which they must make to just keep the lights on when they worked out their business model. They may have data that supports making fewer sales at higher margins that are more profitable to them and have made a management decision to go in that direction. I can't argue with management when they sign the checks at the end of the day.

I hope Gary lands on his feet somewhere in the industry so we can utilize his expertise and customer service skills again if each of us chooses to do so. Sometimes the service far out weighs the price and I think many would have contacted Gary regardless of price because he is so good at helping and making sure we get the right parts. It was a bonus that it happened to be at a very good price too.

Well I'll tell you what. The first time I called Gary it was like talking to an old freind you hadn't seen in ages. The last time I talked to him he was really excited about the new owners and the great opportunity he was getting. Ya right.

Gary, if you read this, make sure you let us know where you go. I owe you. I don't care if you can't give any discounts. I'd rather buy from you at retail than any local retail shop.

I think it is time to chime in again on this, since I started this thread. First let me say that all of you that ordered from Gary/Umotors in the past where getting 15% over cost for the parts. If you choose to order from Umotors now (your decision) you will be NOT be getting anywhere close to that. Matter of fact, you haven't got that deal for about 3 months.

Gary was forced to up his prices for us. I know this because it happened to me with Mike Kolsted. I went to get parts at the new store in Fergus Falls since I was in town and was shocked at the price. Mike mentioned that the prices went up per the new owner. I don't know what the discount is, even if there is one, but any company that treats it people like Umotors has will never get my businees.

I have seen some weird things in my life but never what I have seen a Umotors since the new owner took over. Everytime I would stop in to see Gary there would be a whole new work force in the store. I would ask Gary what was going on and he always said they were fired. I think it was only a matter of time before it was Garys turn to get fired. I am sure Gary was aware of this. Any place that has a large turn over personal has a major problem. Gary is a person that stands by his word, and I am sure will have no trouble finding a better job soon.

Just a side note. Gary worked for the old owner for something like 24 years. You don't stay in that business that long without being a good person.....

My 2 cents

Dana

I don't think any action is necessary, especially one of this type that would inflame the issue. Gary McCoy has been very helpful to many on this forum (and the FJ Forum, and the V-max forum). He gave us great discounts, but business changes, and since the new owners are now setting different parameters for HOW they want to do business, the best thing we can do if offer our sympathy to Gary. We don't know their bottom line, we haven't invested money in their venture, we don't know what their bookkeepers and accountants are telling them they must do to arrive at an acceptable balance sheet (P&L statement).

One would think that Gary and the current owners saw their business from different viewpoints. In the end, the owner gets what he wants...he's the one writing the checks. So either continue to buy from them or find another source.

This discussion has led me to begin the "Parts Source Thread" (Linked Here) under FAQ so that those on the forum can find other avenues for their supply. I have added U-motors based on the information Michele gave us. They are still a valuable resource for OEM parts.

We may not agree with their chosen course of action, but like other's interpersonal relationships (marriages, etc.), we don't live in their houses, so we don't know all of the details and the dynamics that lead to the decisions that were made. IF the business decisions are "off target", the marketplace will determine that. Of course, failure means that many more mechanics, parts people, salesmen and clericals would be out of work, so think about that before you react with glee.

The only dogs I have in this fight is the loss of a distant fellow enthusiast who served the Yamaha biking community and the future parts availability for FJR Forum members.

I have dealt with Mike K. in the past and found him to be as helpful as Gary was. In face, Gary, who had moved up to sales manager, sent me an email to direct me to Mike in parts. Customer service is what they were known for and I hope that is the one basic business principle they still adhere to.

Thanks, fjrchik, for the update and the clarification (And Wheaton for the "interpretation"!).
I have stood on the side and read all of the posts and basically what most don't understand is that cost plus 15% is essentially "swapping dollars" with the customer. Keep in mind that most credit card company's now charge anywhere from 1.9 to 3.25% for taking a credit card then you have the cost associated with your website which wants 2% of your gross sales plus hosting fees and then you have shipping costs for some of the product to be delivered to the store.

Then you have to pay someone to pull parts and order parts, package the items to be shipped, supply boxes and packaging material such as tape, labels etc which all cost money. Plus you have a set overhead for rent, insurance, benefits, utilities and so on. I can assure you that a 15% margin before expenses will not produce a profit and this is more than likely what the owners are looking at.

Like MM2 said, we aren't in their house and we only have one side of the story.

Tony

I have stood on the side and read all of the posts and basically what most don't understand is that cost plus 15% is essentially "swapping dollars" with the customer. Keep in mind that most credit card company's now charge anywhere from 1.9 to 3.25% for taking a credit card then you have the cost associated with your website which wants 2% of your gross sales plus hosting fees and then you have shipping costs for some of the product to be delivered to the store.
Then you need a new hosting deal. That's absurd. Someday more companies will realize the benefit of an in-house IT group :)

Then you need a new hosting deal. That's absurd. Someday more companies will realize the benefit of an in-house IT group :)
It is not cost effective to have an in house dept. The host has to load all price books for all of the vendors we use as well as supplying us with a gateway for our e-commerce business and design and keep our site up to date. The cost of an employee/s to do this would far exceed the hosting fees!

Tony

It is not cost effective to have an in house dept. The host has to load all price books for all of the vendors we use as well as supplying us with a gateway for our e-commerce business and design and keep our site up to date. The cost of an employee/s to do this would far exceed the hosting fees!
Tony
I haven't had my own business that employed people for many years. The stress and worry just weren't my "cup of tea". For those who haven't had the pleasure, you have no idea how involved the "behind the scenes" business part of owning and managing a company really is. Trust me, doing business is more than pleasing the customer and it involves making a certain profit to keep your doors open, meet your payroll, pay your employees taxes and withholdings and your own taxes, fees and licenses. Its better to complain about what the accountant says than to stand face-to-face with a creditor or the IRS/State Franchise Tax Board. They won't care "what you think" or that you are popular or are a nice guy and a good parent or husband. To them its all about "hard" numbers and percentages. Facts is facts: feelings is feelings!

Dreams are one thing, as are opinions, but reality is a harsh teacher. My hat is off to those business owners who support this site and give great discounts to the members here and still manage to support employees and make a profit so that they can enjoy the return on their investment.

I am truly sorry for Gary and for the position that Mike K is in. I'm certain they would like to give the same deep discounts they always have and keep their jobs, but the owner of their company sets the policy and he has a different mindset. We enjoyed a long run of discounts and now have to shop for the best deals and/or service that comes close to comparing what we used to enjoy from U-motors. Perhaps University Motor's current prices are close to what others offer. If not, they will live with the profit margin and volume set by what they estimate their market share is in the local area.

Complaining about U-motors will solve nothing. Their decisions is known and published and it won't be changed by a long list of complaints posted here. Use them as a parts resource, or don't. If not, find another supplier. Your action is the best way to voice your opinion. I do still have them on my "OEM Parts List" with others. Let your "fingers do the walking" on your keyboard and find a source you trust with prices you can live with. Its just business, so if you don't agree with what they are doing, take your business elsewhere. We can't solve the "friend" part of Gary's loss of employment.

Heck, I was a DM for many years for a major retailer and 30% gross margin was the budgeted norm, and after all that, we would shoot for a 4% net. I agree, if they were doing cost+15% they weren't making much, if anything.

The 'discount' was a nice perk but I can understand and live with it being discontinued. I dont know the facts, nor do I have any money in the business....it's their decision. What I do have a problem with is the way they have treated some long time employees who have gone out of their way to provide great CS. That is something rare in today's retail world, especially among MC dealers. Perhaps there is more to it than we know but it sure doesnt look that way.

This thread is reminding me about how my local Yamaha and Honda dealer was forced to close shop due to poor management and swindling the customers (ProCycle).

Hey Tony, Any interest in opening a Yamaha Dealer in Springfield MO? This is a HUGE market here waiting for the right people to step up!

Well, as far as I'm concerned Gary WAS U-Motors. I bought from him. I'm certainly not going to waste my time paying retail +shipping to a place 8 states away that Gary doesn't work at when I can get screwed right here at home.

Now if Gary gets a job at or starts a business of his hown and has to charge retail, no problem. If I have to pay one price to someone I like or the same price to someone I don't like I'll choose the one I like every time. Even my local stealer usually has to order my parts so waiting for a few days isn't a big deal.