Geezers, Canadians, Retirees & Reprobates: Oh My!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
"Una Motocicleta para La Alberta Estada del La Republikas con Los Canuckistanos sitio El Desierto de Sonora!" Es Verdad, ese; Ai, Ai, Arriba: Canadians!

100_0490.jpg

We of the Arizona FJR Forum had the privilege and pleasure of riding with Good Friend Kasey (Kathryn) of Canada yesterday on an incredibly scenic ride!

100_0504.jpg

Kasey was joined on our desert to mountains trek by her fellow Canadian Doris M. All of you that attended CFR 2009 in Nakusp, British Columbia will remember Doris and the amazing video and narrative report she did on her world motorcycling adventures. It was fantastic to be riding with Kasey and Doris again! Left to right in the photograph: Conchita - Our Waitress, Jerry, Kenny with his face hidden by the menu (Thank God!), Kasey, Carlos, Doris, FJR Eileen, Eric above Eileen and FJR Jim in Phoenix. Picture was taken by Papa Chuy.

100_0495.jpg

We also had a defacto Canadian riding with us. Chuck "Carlos" Doucet is a long time AZ Beemers Club Member (also a Vietnam Veteran), who lived and worked in Vancouver, British Columbia for many decades. Carlos has ridden to Mexico a dozen times with Papa Chuy and is definitely a "Mexico Hand"! Chuck and his wife Gayla sailed their 40' sailboat from Canada to Baja California and intensively explored the Sea of Cortez under sail all the way up to Puerto Penasco, Sonora on the Mexican Mainland and over as far North as San Felipe, Baja California Norte on the Mexican Peninsula. Here is Chuck standing next to his BMW "Light Truck"!

100_0500.jpg

Kasey recently bought a used Kawasaki Concours to add to her Yuma, AZ motorcycle stable. Doris rode the Concours and Kasey was on her 2003 FJR

100_0498.jpg

Las Senoritas saddling up after La Comida Mexicana; left to right: Doris, Eileen and Kasey. Great Lunch Special at Marcela's Cafe: Dos Carne Asada tacos y frijoles la Mexicana con carne, y guacamole y pico de gallo con tortillas. Mas Grande!

100_0489.jpg

Bikes ridden yesterday were an equal mix of Kraut Schiessen und Jap Krap! Deutsche Motorraden und Nipponese Rice-Sake Burners out playing on the roads together!

100_0493.jpg

Beemers mit FJR's, und Ein Honda VFR Maschinen!

100_0492.jpg

Do you remember seeing the word HOT in the Title of this Ride Report? It was 80F degrees in the heart of the Tohono O'Odham Indian Reservation (a fine local Irish tribe!) and we finally had to stop and strip off our heavy and warm clothing. A fantastic Winter's day in the middle of the Sonoran desert!

100_0497.jpg

The Best Part of a Group Ride, stopping to kick the tires. Yakking and laughing about motorcycling! Here Kasey and Doris are wondering why the cylinders are sticking out of the side of that funny looking bike!

100_0501.jpg

The destination of the ride was the top of Kitt Peak and its Observatory, and there it is at the very top of this photo. Twelve of the twistiest and tightest curves that you will find this side of the European Alps. Let's go race it, Crew!

100_0503.jpg

This is just one of a dozen telescopes on top of Kitt Peak staffed, funded and researched by sixteen different Nations and Universities.

100_0506.jpg

This is the Observatory of Great Britian. They are trying to find out where in the Hell that Fairlaner originated from.

100_0508.jpg

From the top of Kitt Peak you can see a hundred miles on a day as gorgeous as yesterday was. Here are the Catalina Mountains above Tuscon Joe's house, Joe said he would rather work than go for a ride with his Amigos y Amigas!

100_0509.jpg

The weather was crystal clear without hardly a cloud in the blue sky and we could see all the way to the Sonoita Mountains of Mexico.

100_0510.jpg

Mas Caminos y Mas Amigos! - More Roads and More Friends. A 400 mile motorcycling loop day spent with ten fine riding friends with great laughs and fun times!

100_0494.jpg

Saludos, Muchachos! Recuerdos para Senor Papa Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like y'all had fun eh?

Wish I could have been there!

Sunny and 7 degrees C here in Ontario, that's 45 for you folks down south. The snow is melting quickly and I feel spring in the air.

It is too bad I had to work as this looked like fun.

Maybe someday I will be able to make it with you guys.

The problem is I still work (a little).

Hope to see Don this weekend and have a little BRUSKI.

Joe

Don - Thanks so much for organizing the fantastic ride day! Doris and I arrived back in Yuma this evening; we were delayed by the Border Patrol when returning through the Irish Indian Reservation. They quizzed us in depth with all manner of very personal questions but we handled it with great dignity and they did not break our tough Canuckistan spirits. Slighty shaken by this unexpected turn of events we made great haste back to Casa Grande where we immediately got lost trying to find our hotel. (Dan - did you ever find your way out of Casa Grande?) We settled our nerves with a bottle of Amarula smuggled in from Canuckistan and after a good nights sleep we had a great ride today.

Looking forward to joining you again sometime

Kasey and Doris.

Wait a minute! The ride organzier/leader didn't return with you two on the scheduled route? And let you non-locals get lost in Casa Grande?

Bad form. I'll have a word with mi bastard step-pappy. Me thinks he's going to be grounded for a couple weeks.

Fun ride report el jefe! Kasey, Kat my wife and I had a great chat at WCR last year as well. I hope she reads this and reminds me of the Canadian company that makes great traveling clothes. Thanks for sharing.

+1 to Papa Chuy for pulling together a great ride. Kitt Peak is an amazing place, the roads were a blast, the food a blast (literally), and good company. Who could ask for more?

Wait a minute! The ride organzier/leader didn't return with you two on the scheduled route? And let you non-locals get lost in Casa Grande?

Bad form. I'll have a word with mi bastard step-pappy. Me thinks he's going to be grounded for a couple weeks.
Don had planned to accompany us but we decided to head back on a different route and sent him on his way. We weren't really lost - just confused. :unsure:

Kasey

I can hardly wait til I retire....

Sell everything, get a tent and live outta my sidecases.

Looks like a wonderful time!

Don, great pictures and ride report!

Kasey, you know your one of my favoite people but hanging around Don just is not good for your reputation... ;)

Hang the reputation! At this stage of life it's about time I upgraded "Nice" to "Wild and Crazy". ;)

Kasey

Don, great pictures and ride report!

Kasey, you know your one of my favoite people but hanging around Don just is not good for your reputation... ;)

Hang the reputation! At this stage of life it's about time I upgraded "Nice" to "Wild and Crazy". ;)

Kasey
Alllriiight!!

"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Get out there and make some history!

Send his ass up here to shovel snow. ;)

Ever since you mastered Photobucket, you've become a regular Ride Report FACTORY, hombre!

And I know what you mean about those "de facto" Canadians.

Try be tolerant.

Cool stuff, Señor Burrito Ballerina!

Last edited by a moderator: