Geico Insurance experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God help you if you have a claim with GEICO. I had them for my Spyder and Lauren_TK's Vulcan. She dropped a bike while test-driving it (dropped it at a stop), and getting them to pay the claim was like pulling teeth. We had to fax paperwork to them six and seven times. It took something like six weeks for them to actually finally pay the claim - and this was about as uncomplicated as it gets.

And then they literally DOUBLED our rate. AND they're reporting it as a moving accident, so it shows on the wife's MVR, so now I'm waiting to see if my car insurance goes up this summer when they pull her MVR and see an "at-fault accident" listed.

GEICO handled my claim in 2012 pretty quickly and covered everything with no questions. I thought that was ok but when my policies came up for renewal (auto, motorcycle) the premiums more than doubled. I expected an increase for the motorcycle policy but not for the car and not more than double. Switched to SAFECO within two weeks after doing the usual comparison of rates offered by a number of companies.

GEICO and only GEICO, I have 3 bikes insured for $354 a year, full coverage on all 3. Can't beat it, at least I can't.

Allstate was the best for me as a 73 year old safe rider with 2 bikes and good credit living in wa. state.
I just switched all of my insurance to Allstate and am paying half as much as Progressive (which was cheaper than Geico quoted). In fact I now insure 5 bikes for less than just what my FJR cost with Progressive.

Was a customer of GEICO for about 2 decades or so. Their funding of radar guns (or at least low-cost provisioning) for smaller PDs, as well as their miles-per-day cap on their coverage were enough to send me elsewhere. In their forms they ask if you have a radar detector. If you say yes, they won't write a policy. If you say no, and a later ticket, etc. notes that a detector was in/on one of your vehicles (covered or not) they will use it as reason to deny payment of your claim (falsifying your application).

Yup, what Bounce said. They used to (not sure if they still do, but I'm guessing so) give radar guns to law enforcement agencies for free. Then, if you get a speeding ticket, they automatically jack your rates, regardless of a previously clean record. Seems to me like a tire repair place throwing nails all over the road in front of their shop. Bounce also made a couple of more points I was unaware of, so I'm assuming they're still shady (tricky? conniving? sneaky?). No sir, I don't like it.
That being said, I'm sure there are many whom have had decent experiences with them. Make sure you ask questions before you commit.
I switched from Progressive to Geico over the winter. Geico didn't ask any questions about radar detectors. Every police car I've ever seen in MN has fancy radar systems regardless. Geico was half the rate of Progressive who was cheaper than the others when I last checked years ago. $137/year full coverage $250 deductibles.

Looks like from the stories here Geico sucks once you file a claim and they jack your rates up then, but I'll ride it out until that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some years ago one of our forum members had a lot of front end damage after hitting a deer. He claimed that Geico would not cover any of the damages because hitting a deer was classified by Geico to be "an act of God" (just repeating what someone else stated, I do not have any first hand knowledge or verification).

God help you if you have a claim with GEICO. I had them for my Spyder and Lauren_TK's Vulcan. She dropped a bike while test-driving it (dropped it at a stop), and getting them to pay the claim was like pulling teeth. We had to fax paperwork to them six and seven times. It took something like six weeks for them to actually finally pay the claim - and this was about as uncomplicated as it gets.
And then they literally DOUBLED our rate. AND they're reporting it as a moving accident, so it shows on the wife's MVR, so now I'm waiting to see if my car insurance goes up this summer when they pull her MVR and see an "at-fault accident" listed.
Wait, what? Why did you have to make a claim against your insurance at all? I know the laws vary by state, but it seems to me that you are buying insurance, and they are basing their rates, on a particular vehicle and the probabilities associated with that.

The owner of the bike being tested, whether dealership or private party, should have been carrying insurance on that one, and the claim should have been made against their company, not yours. At least that is the way it works around here. Thinking more about it, what if you did not already own a motorcycle or a car. You therefore wouldn't have had any insurance, who would they make the claim against then? Or do they only allow test drives to those who already own a bike or car? Seems like a weird system to me.

I looked at Geico but State Farm's rates were better (we have multiple loines of discounts etc). Plus, we have an umbrella policy with SF (being business owners) so the cycle ins. slides in nicely under that.

I've totaled a bike at DCTC and SF paid out. No problems whatsoever. They covered the helmet but not the 'stich repair (they claim it was "apparel"). Oh well. Even bought the bike back from them.

I have been with Geico for 8 years, they are the cheapest rates for me. I and my wife have used their road side assistance and we are very pleased with their service. Thanks goodness we have not had to try out their collision service

I switched to NATIONWIDE a few years ago when National General doubled my rates for no reason.

Nationwide was the cheapest I could find.

I pay about $240.00 a year FULL coverage 100/300, with a $500.00 deductible

No tickets or points.

I think Geico policies also prohibit any participation in "contests of speed or endurance". Anyone participating in rallys or even Iron Butt rides might find themselves in violation of their policy terms.
I switched to Geico a few years ago as their online rates were much better for me than other companies. I did speak to a rep and declared my involvement in endurance rallies and IBA rides, and that my mileage is often upwards of 20K per year. Fortunately, have not had to check out their claims process, so not able to comment on that side.

Geico don't do New Hampster.
fuck.gif

But Flo does. And she gimme some good rates. (even if she is lookin' a little haggard up close)

Screen-Shot-2012-03-18-at-9.46.05-AM.png

4 bikes for $691 / yr, all full coverage comp/coll, 250/500 deductibles and covers my boy (27 Y/O).

When I made a $1600 comp claim on the Feej a couple years back (Bambi strike) it was so easy, even a cave... er, nevermind. ;)

This question comes up a lot, and lots of folks weigh in with their own examples and lots of numbers, but everything weighs in when they determine rates: mileage, value of vehicle, zip code, other vehicles insured, whatever coverage and limits you sign up for, your driving record, age, eye color, you name it. You just can't compare anybody else's annual payment and hope to get much useful information that applies to yourself.

My experience with Progressive is extremely responsive service on two separate claims, full coverage with pretty much zero hassle, best mileage limits for towing service when needed (150 miles, IIRC). I'd suggest you just decide which of the many factors folks have named here are most important to you, decide what you want, and get specific quotes from a few companies for the exact same coverage.

My experience with Geico is I was hit from behind by some asshole kid (in my car) while stopped at a light. He left the scene and I chased him down. The police wouldn't come because it was property damage only, but took a telephone report. Geico refused to pay because the kid denied he'd hit me at all and there was no in-person report taken by a cop--I could have just made it up and called it in. Maybe that was good for Geico and its own customers (keeps costs down) but it sure pissed me off. Might be naive to feel this way, but I wouldn't do business with anybody who'd pull that kind of shit.

Don't ever get a ticket when insured by Warren Buffet, er, GIECO...rates immediately increase 50% for the first offense....bye bye for a second offense. They don't care what type of offense...just any moving violations gets you blacklisted.

One of my friend's dad was in a serious MC crash. Was hit from behind by someone. He was in a coma for a little over a week and Geico absolutely refused to pay because the man in the coma could not sign some kind of bullshit document.

My brother has them and likes them, but I wouldn't trust them. All insurance companies are shiesty, but Geico prides itself on it.

I switched to Geico a few years ago as their online rates were much better for me than other companies. I did speak to a rep and declared my involvement in endurance rallies and IBA rides, and that my mileage is often upwards of 20K per year. Fortunately, have not had to check out their claims process, so not able to comment on that side.
Never ... ever, ever, ever ... take the word of an insurance agent for what might and might not be covered.

Get it in writing, signed by a Geico Underwriter or you will not be pleased when they decline your claim when you have a "get-off" during the Iron Butt Rally ... or just a local Poker Run.