Gen 1 gas cap removal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk2wilson

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you might be able to help me out. I ordered the FSM, but it hasn't arrived yet and I need to get my bike ready for paint. So my question is how do you remove the gas cap? I would assume from looking at it that you would just need to remove the allen bolts, but I don't want to start removing bolts and get a surprise. Any help would be appreciated.

Josh

Yes, it's as simple as removing the allen bolts, fear not. :assassin:

Since we are discussing the gas cap and my search for this comes up empty let me ask this question.

Has anyone cut the filler strainer so to allow a faster fill-up and maybe a bit more fuel?

How would it possibly allow a faster fillup? And how would it magically make the tank hold more gas????!!!!?

How would it possibly allow a faster fillup? And how would it magically make the tank hold more gas????!!!!?
I might need to add a picture to express this more clear. The above link showing the removal doesn't show what I'm calling the strainer, it has a rag stuck in it.

On the 05 model I can fill to the top of the strainer but the fuel settles below the strainer. I can keep adding more fuel, depending on the pump, but it takes time to completely top it off.

I'm wondering if anyone has completely removed the strainer or trimmed it to allow the fuel to fill quicker and maybe get a bit more in the tank.

May cause problems with fuel sloshing into the vent, don't know but I've considered modifying it and thought someone may have already done this. No need to get testy.

It's there for 2 reasons. 1 is to ensure that old-style leaded gas pumps can't fit in there. Then there is the air gap is helps create to allow for fuel expansion once the tank is filled. Removing it with a dremel might be possible. Debris and ignition sparks would be the 2 concerns imo. The benefits seem minimal (again IMO).

Me, Like Wilson here gas my bike stripped and ready for paint.. As the fuel pump is out and I can actually look inside I see where nothing would be gained volume wise by removing that tiny section of tin.

I don't think it displaces but about a third the amount of a stout fleas pissing session.... ;) I really don't think it's going to speed filling either..How would removing something non restrictive do this?

I have considered cutting it open on my bike as well. Not to gain fuel but for another reason. I occasionally fill my tank with a fuel jug from recent Track days. The hose on the fuel jug is too big for the large hole and I always seem to end up splashing gas on the tank. My Honda, Kawi, and wifes Suzuki all have full size opennings. I was just thinking about how to remove the "strainer" as well.

The only way yer gonna cut that sucker out is going to involve sparks...Gasoline vapor and those ain't a good idea.

another non issue rears it's ugly head. :blink:

Bring it over here and we'll fire-up the water-jet...

water-jet1.jpg

BUT....I'm not responsible when your tank rusts out!!!

another non issue rears it's ugly head. :blink:
Says the collector of ugly heads. :p

On the 05 model I can fill to the top of the strainer but the fuel settles below the strainer. I can keep adding more fuel, depending on the pump, but it takes time to completely top it off.

I'm wondering if anyone has completely removed the strainer or trimmed it to allow the fuel to fill quicker and maybe get a bit more in the tank.

May cause problems with fuel sloshing into the vent, don't know but I've considered modifying it and thought someone may have already done this. No need to get testy.
What's more likely happening is that you're draining that "extra" fuel out the overflow tube and onto the pavement under the bike. Or maybe you're percolating into air space intentionally left in the top of the tank for heat expansion.

The doodad in the filler has absolutely nothing to do with how much gas goes in, or how quickly it goes in. Nada, zilch, zero, goose-egg, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: