Gen-III Highbeam Relay Location?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_g

Reaction score
I am going to be installing some Clearwater lights this weekend.

Can someone tell me where the highbeam relay is located?

I plan on tapping into the power source and highbeam wire.

Also, does anyone have a good location for mountimg the dimmer?

Thanks!

Please take photos of your tap in .... the Darla instructions don't show a very good view of the 2006 + model . It appears to be a yellow wire in all models

Please take photos of your tap in .... the Darla instructions don't show a very good view of the 2006 + model . It appears to be a yellow wire in all models
I have the factory service manual and know the colors. Just looking for ome advanced info before I tear in.

I will try to take some detailed pictures of the interconnects.

Take a look at THIS thread for information on tapping the high beam relay, great wiring diagram / sketch to reference. I used this method recently for my LEDRider / Skene controller auxiliary light trigger. Haven't researched if wire colors changed GEN III's.

--G

+1 on the skene design controller. what you loose is the ability to dial the intensity at least by just reaching up and giving it a twist. The skene controller is set at a percentage of power for the low beams and automatically goes 100% with the high beams. If you buy the right model you even get the hey idiot do you see me coming flashing sequence which is the bomb. You program the low beam settings when the lights first come on. They go into a rapid flash sequence - if you flip your high beams three times it puts it into programming mode. Each click cycles up 10%. Once it is set no switches or dials required. They come on when your bike starts up. They are automatically pulsed up with the high beams. Good stuff.

I am good with the wiring.

My question is where the high beam relay is phsically located on a Gen 3?

Also on a Gen 3, has anyone gound a good mounting location for the Clearwater Dimmer?

I am good with the wiring.
My question is where the high beam relay is phsically located on a Gen 3?

Also on a Gen 3, has anyone gound a good mounting location for the Clearwater Dimmer?
Even though some of the links took you to wiring, they had pictures of the headlight relay location on a Gen I & Gen II. There is a good chance that the relay will be in the same location on the Gen III, it's easy to access and look.

In both pictures below different wires are being tapped, but in both cases the relay location is indicated. With the dash panels removed, the relay is on the right left hand side. In this picture note the headlight adjusters below the headlight relay to orient the view. This view is looking down.

HBTap.jpg

This shows the wires going to the headlight relay. You only need access to the wires, not the relay. The yellow wire is the headlight high beam wire.

IMG_0409.jpg

On both Gens, the high beam relay: Green/Blue = power to the contacts; Green = low beam power; Yellow = high beam power. On the Gen I the coil switch for Hi/Lo is Green/Black and the Gen II is Blue/Black.

When you see these wire colors grouped together it means that you have found the high beam relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
The relay on a gen III is on the left side of the bike(sitting on bike) under the left side of the instrument cluster. There are three relays in a row, the head light relay is the one on the right.

<snip> In both pictures below different wires are being tapped, but in both cases the relay location is indicated. With the dash panels removed, the relay is on the right hand side. In this picture note the headlight adjusters below the headlight relay to orient the view. This view is looking down.
Point of clarification. The GEN II hi-beam relay is on the left hand side sitting on the bike, GEN I's are on the RH side sitting on the bike.

--G

DISREGARD Wrong generation

On the '09 the dimmer relay, that switches between low and high beam, is located on the left side just above the speedometer cable. Mounts with a rubber bracket. The main on/off switch for the headlights is over on the left side and from what I have read on the forum is accessible only after removing the nose portion of the cowling. There is a bolt just to the rear of the glove box that provides a convenient place to mount the relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
The relay on a gen III is on the left side of the bike(sitting on bike) under the left side of the instrument cluster. There are three relays in a row, the head light relay is the one on the right.
This is correct, it didn't take me lomg to find the proper relay by looking at the wire colors. Tapping into the wires is the same as other pictures so I didn't bother taking any.

The wires are packed in there pretty tight, I removed the left side panel around the glove box to make a little extra space.

Hey Dennis

When you say disregard.. Are you talking about your post above and that is not what it looks like for the 09? I have an 09 and want to hook into the high beem and want to make sure I am looking in the right spot for the high beem line. Do i need to remove the front cowling?

Hey Dennis
When you say disregard.. Are you talking about your post above and that is not what it looks like for the 09? I have an 09 and want to hook into the high beem and want to make sure I am looking in the right spot for the high beem line. Do i need to remove the front cowling?
It's correct. Take a look at 'beams first pic of a GEN II, LH side, no need to remove the nose.

--G