Gen lll Frame sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bin-o-facts lists 35 ft-lbs for the slider bolts! Granted that section of engine bolt torque is still orange but surely the values have not changed from the Gen 2's?
Yes, the torque spec for the stock engine mount bolts on the Gen 3 is also 35 ft-lbs also. I misspoke (mistyped?) and meant to say that "35 would probably be fine".

I do not know exactly why SW Motech said to go with the higher torque value, but I'm sure there was a reason related to them being sliders and not just holding the engine up. Either way, they tightened up to 55 ft-lbs with no difficulty.

I have wild hair accessories GSG sliders. Tested once on the 14, they worked great. I managed to install them without removing the fairing too. No fairing cutting and they are super stout.

I have a set from 04 that were tested more than I'd like to admit too and they worked as promised. I'll be putting those up for sale soon.

I bought them both at:

https://www.whaccessories.com/YamahaFJR1300accessories.htmmy

I have a set of R&G Aero sliders for 2014 + (might fit other year models, but you'd have to check on that), like new -- had them on the bike for about two weeks, then decided to ust the Motovation sliders. The R&Gs are $120 new (TwistedThrottle). No-cut installation. I'll sell them cheap. PM me if you're interested.

What'd you end up going with Bob? I'm kinda leaning in the SW Motech or T-Rex front, Canyon Cage rear direction, though the front Canyon Cages for the Gen III front are pretty low profile and look nice.

I went with the t-Rex sliders. The SW-mo tech units look like they don't stick out as much as the t-Rex units. But I think the t-Rex sliders will provide good tip over protection. Even though is has only one bolt for the mounting, the design should keep it from rotating

Went with T-Rex in front, and Canyon Cages in rear. Here is a demo pic of how the bike would rest on the ground. I only expect 0 mph tip over protection, and it looks like this combo will cover it.

DSC00757_zps1cb80993.jpg

DSC00758_zpsb3aabac5.jpg

Ordered the T-Rex sliders and as well as their rear cage. I'll post up pictures when they arrive and I install (mostly for their rear cage).

Great info guys. Looking for some myself. Where did yall order the t rexs from and how was the install?

Last edited by a moderator:
What'd you end up going with Bob? I'm kinda leaning in the SW Motech or T-Rex front, Canyon Cage rear direction, though the front Canyon Cages for the Gen III front are pretty low profile and look nice.
I see you already ordered, but I bought a set of motivation sliders. I am thinking about adding the T-Rex bag protectors.

I see you already ordered, but I bought a set of motivation sliders. I am thinking about adding the T-Rex bag protectors.
If you bought the round Motovation sliders, be aware that if the bike goes down at any speed other than at a stand still, the round part of the slider will twist and probably crack the surrounding fairing. Ask me how I know this! :-(

If you bought the round Motovation sliders, be aware that if the bike goes down at any speed other than at a stand still, the round part of the slider will twist and probably crack the surrounding fairing. Ask me how I know this! :-(
They are and most any slider can do that at speed. Most are really just tip over protection.

The Wild Hair sliders mount using two bolts. The others appear to mount with only one bolt. Am I correct? Seems that two bolts would spread the force more evenly and have greater strength, yes?

Pricey, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
hppants was good enough to crash test his T-Rex frame sliders at speed for us. I am certain he has a pic somewhere of the final result. From what I saw they stood up to more than just a low speed tip over pretty well. Maybe he would be really nice and chime in with a pic or two.

I had the SW-Motech ones and thought they looked very nice.

However, they had a total of zero value in my recent encounter with two sheep in Wyoming. The bike remained totalled regardless of the best efforts of the high quality CNC product.

While not statistically valid, I'm of the opinion that sliders are just more robust and expensive versions of tip over guards. I think I'm going back to TOGs on my next FJR. ;)

The Wild Hair sliders mount using two bolts. The others appear to mount with only one bolt. Am I correct? Seems that two bolts would spread the force more evenly and have greater strength, yes?
Pricey, however.
On my 2013 I have the 'old school' round GSG sliders. There is a heavy aluminum bracket that does mount to motor and the the slider bolts to that. I have the newer streetline sliders on the S1000XR and I like them. The streeline sliders have a steel bracket that mounts to two locations and then the slider bolts to the bracket. Pricey ... yes. But I like the looks and Irfan at WildHair has taken care of me many times over the years and over many bikes. There are lots of slider options out there in varying price ranges.

Gary

True, hppants' bike was totaled but the frame sliders could not protect the nose of the bike, the tank or the front forks. Of course, each crash is completely different and you never can predict what is going to happen.

I do agree though that I only bought the frame sliders as "tip over" protection. I bought insurance for the event it goes down at high speed.