Getting rid of sticky stuff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spray mosquito repellent, with a high Deet content. Will also take magic marker off aluminum siding. Makes you want to not think about what it does to your skin.

Dan

I use duct tape when I tie things down to my wife's Ninja. My trick to beat the goo is to first put a strip of masking tape or painters tape on the bike and then I put the duct tape over that. No matter how long its on the bike it peels right off without any goo.

I use duct tape when I tie things down to my wife's Ninja. My trick to beat the goo is to first put a strip of masking tape or painters tape on the bike and then I put the duct tape over that. No matter how long its on the bike it peels right off without any goo.
So, NOW you tell me
ohmy.gif

WD40 works great for getting grease off parts, or off you hands. It is pretty useless as a lubricant IMHO.

That silicone wrap they sell on the late night TV ads works alot better than duct tape in the OP's application. It only sticks to itself and is not effected by heat, cold, or moisture. Comes in different colors too I believe...

KM

How about this interesting factoid:

WD 40 is one of the most toxic over the counter substances you can buy. Don't believe me? Read the label - signal word is DANGER. Most of the pesticides I work with are Caution and none of them have the words "may be fatal if swallowed" like WD 40 has.

So the next time someone goes off on pesticides ask them if they ever use WD 40.....

"You won't have to clean up goo if you use the right tape in the first place. Gaffer tape. Strong,easy to use & no sticky residue"

I wonder how Gaffer tape will work on the matte paint? Any real world experience?

I'm thinking it would good to protect my tank from the magnetic tank bag on trips.

Canadian FJR

I worked in film and audio-visual staging for 40 years, so I have some familiarity with gaffer tape. There are literally dozens of different formulations of both the base and the glue..and all of them are miles away from the stuff that is sold to seal the joints in heating ducts - which is designed to be applied, and never removed. The backing is not very strong because it never needs to be pulled on to remove it from the duct, and the glue is designed to stick very well, so it leaves lots of residue if you try and remove it.

Gaffer tape, on the other hand is designed to be laid down onto a variety of surfaces,...painted wood, carpet, and not remove the paint or varnish from the wood when the tape is lifted up-which means a strong backing material...and not leave any glue on the carpet when it is lifted up after being walked on for several days- which means a glue that is just strong enough to hold the tape in place and no more.

We “ auditioned” about 30 different formulations of tape by putting 6’ long strips of tape on the carpet in the office, then walking on the samples for a week. The samples that came up easily, did not leave a residue to attract dirt were selected for purchase.

From memory the manufacturer was Polyken, but I can’t remember the “model #”..Here’s one of their products..

https://catalog.berryglobal.com/products/adhesiv/duct-tape/adhesiv130512

From my experience I wouldnt trust it on a motorcycle gas tank... I’d use something like this..

https://www.lamin-x.com/precut-film-covers.html?find=motorcycle-2016-yamaha-fjr1300-tank-paint-protection-7078330

Thanks for the reply. I used the clear cling on from your second link on my old FJR and it worked great.

It wont stick (cling) to the matte paint on the new bike, already tried it.

That is the reason I wanted to try something like the Gaffer tape.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the lighter fluid to take off tar on my pickup and cars, wheels on each, and just about anywhere else something sticky needs to come off. I clean off the tar and then clean with a wet rag or Sprayway, or simple green. No harm so far.

I would not put it on and leave it on just like any other cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator: