Gold Wing update....any news?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see whether there was anything published on horsepower. The big BMW (and the FJR) both beat the older Wing by a fair amount. I am afraid that with the upgraded 'Wing, the "new" Venture with the v-twin doesn't have much of a chance!
I wonder about the new Yamaha. I doubt they were really aiming at the Goldwing market with an air cooled V-twin, belt drive, cruiser. I hope it does well because I'm partial to Yamahas, but it's sure not what I want.

And they still only put a 5.5 gallon tank in a long-range touring bike!
Huh? Must have been a styling decision. But my '02 had a 6.7 gallon tank. It averaged 42.6 over 111,000 miles, so even if they improved that to 50 (I'm finding that doubtful), they still didn't improve the range.

I do like the appearance better than the 2017. A buddy just bought a 2017, and the looks just don't appeal to me.

It works from here. Must have something to do with the path from the computer being used.

Ill try your link and see if it works for me.

Edit: your link works for me, but it drops me into the thread at a later post and I have to scroll up to the videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
DAYUM! Love my FJR to the tune of 56,000 miles so far ... but the Missus would sit so comfortably in the Goldwing Queen's Throne.

Went on an all-day ride through GA/TN/NC last summer with a few other mature moto-friends. The Goldwing pillion was reading a book on the Cherohala that morning. After our lunch break she actually fell asleep on the bike.

That's a Queen's Throne, y'all.

It works from here. Must have something to do with the path from the computer being used.
Ill try your link and see if it works for me.

Edit: your link works for me, but it drops me into the thread at a later post and I have to scroll up to the videos.
Difference might be if you're logged in or not. Not sure if you have an account there. I do not.

Never thought I'd see the day when a Goldwing appealed to me.....Have to see one in person now

I dont have an account there, so thats not the issue. More likely some hosting or OS issue.

Went on an all-day ride through GA/TN/NC last summer with a few other mature moto-friends. The Goldwing pillion was reading a book on the Cherohala that morning. After our lunch break she actually fell asleep on the bike.
She should have stayed at home if she planned on reading a book and falling asleep while on the Cherohala. What's the point of riding on the back if you don't plan to see anything along the trip? I'd revoke her Queen status.

Well, the Cherohala's only about 3 hours from home, so we'll ride it a least twice a season. She's probably been on it a dozen times.

There were four ladies on that trip -- three on their own bikes -- and we were based at Julie's cabin outside of Blue Ridge. And the ladies so enjoy lunch conversation, photo ops at the scenic overlooks, and tequila around the campfire.
coolsmiley02.gif

I'll welcome ladies on my moto-trips under any circumstances.

DAYUM! Love my FJR to the tune of 56,000 miles so far ... but the Missus would sit so comfortably in the Goldwing Queen's Throne.

My wife used to fall asleep on my '78 XS750.
wink.png

Yup, my ex fell asleep on the autobahn, riding on the back of a Yamaha XS1100 main battle tank, between Munich and Nuremburg.

So I brake checked her, and she woke up abruptly. (...wondering why we're not married anymore?)

My dad has a 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE, but I don't really care for it. It's got all the bells and whistles on it, but it is not suited for me. You need T-Rex arms to drive the thing, which can make slow speeds a real bear. But he loves it, which is what matters.

We drove down to a demo in 08 to try out the 1800. I remember thinking it was way nicer than my previous Goldwing experience. It handled better, the ergonomics were a better fit, more bells and whistles, etc. I asked my dad what he thought of it and he said he liked it. On the way back home, I pulled up to him at the first stop light since he was back on his 1500. He flipped up the visor and said "What a piece of shit I drive" having realized at that point what the real difference was.

He still has the 1500, but he's been lusting after the 1800 ever since. I sent him a picture and an article about the new one, being the enabler that I am. My mom is set to kill me now.

I'd like to demo a new one. Maybe we'll make a repeat trip to a demo day somewhere.

Yep. Interest peaked. Lot of coin for a new bike. But I've always assumed the Goldwing to be in my future at some point.

Looking forward to seeing one in person and any ride reviews.

Thanks for the posts and links everyone.

Don.

Pretty nice detail on official Honda site. No mention of HP or torque though. I know the old engine is supposed to be great, but usually manufacturers would be bragging on the power output, especially on a redesigned 6 cyl.

Pretty nice detail on official Honda site. No mention of HP or torque though. I know the old engine is supposed to be great, but usually manufacturers would be bragging on the power output, especially on a redesigned 6 cyl.
I found a HP and torque chart (somewhere) and the curves were almost identical except for the last 1000 rpms where the new engine was noticeably higher. Honda claims much better fuel economy to justify the smaller tank but only claims 42 mpg...my 2003 Goldwing usually got 40 mph.

Anyone notice the new luggage capacity? Honda says 110 liters, about the same as a FJR with a 46L Giva trunk.

I love the new styling, front end suspension, and all the features but the more I find out about it the more it seems like a much heavier FJR ES with a trunk option.

My dad has a 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE, but I don't really care for it. It's got all the bells and whistles on it, but it is not suited for me. You need T-Rex arms to drive the thing, which can make slow speeds a real bear. But he loves it, which is what matters.
We drove down to a demo in 08 to try out the 1800. I remember thinking it was way nicer than my previous Goldwing experience. It handled better, the ergonomics were a better fit, more bells and whistles, etc. I asked my dad what he thought of it and he said he liked it. On the way back home, I pulled up to him at the first stop light since he was back on his 1500. He flipped up the visor and said "What a piece of shit I drive" having realized at that point what the real difference was.

He still has the 1500, but he's been lusting after the 1800 ever since. I sent him a picture and an article about the new one, being the enabler that I am. My mom is set to kill me now.

I'd like to demo a new one. Maybe we'll make a repeat trip to a demo day somewhere.
Had a 98se (with mods for power and suspension) with an 84 GL1200 Aspencade and an 83 GL1100 Aspencade before that.

I test drove a Triumph Sprint ST and was never happy with the 98se afterward.

As with past new Wing designs from Honda, wait for others to work their way through things like broken main frames (GL1800), stators (FL1200), and such.

Would love to have the sissy shift transmission like I had on the spyder but my 06 wing only has 28k on it so it's gonna be some time before I can move up.

Like Bounce said , let others finish the R&D work before stepping up with your checkbook.
punk.gif

Supposedly (according to Fred Harmon) the peak bhp is about 125 at 5500 rpm. Peak torque is similar in ft-lbs.

The butt dyno will not be fooled into thinking any GW, new or old, will out-zip any FJR, new or old.

But thats not what theyre for.

I went down to Chattanooga (Southern Honda Powersports) yesterday and studied the current generation.

I stopped at Pandoras to check out the K1600B on the way home.

I came away quite happy with the simplicity of my F6B Deluxe.

Still ... with Yammy-USA still ignoring the YCCS model of the FJR, that Goldwing DCT may eventually be a must have item in my personal garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.