Goose Bay, Labrador in July

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSFJR

Reaction score
I didn't want to detract from the Nova Scotia topic and have looked and found nothing on Goose Bay. Has anyone gone there and what are your comments on riding to there after Nova Scotia. Appears to be about a 1,000 miles. When I was in the military it was always joked about as being synonymous with cold and although I dont want to go there in winter I would like to see it in the summer.

Thanks,

Chester

Thanks for the link. Looking at the virtual tour there is some impressive scenery there. I did find some more info and it looks like the ferry from Lewisporte to Goose Bay would add a lot to the trip and then take the Trans-Lab from Goose Bay to Baie-Comeau. Looks like a great ride.

Chester

Thanks for the link. Looking at the virtual tour there is some impressive scenery there. I did find some more info and it looks like the ferry from Lewisporte to Goose Bay would add a lot to the trip and then take the Trans-Lab from Goose Bay to Baie-Comeau. Looks like a great ride.
Chester

I live in that part of the world. It is a great ride but not suitable for an FJR. The Trans Labrador Highway is unpaved, loose gravel and dust.

Dennis

The pavement ends at Red Bay That's has far as I got last year.

Interesting place you would never believe back in the 1500's they supplied almost all of the lamp oil for Western Europe out of here, the largest organised industrial concern in the world at the time. The name Red Bay came about because the bay was more whale blood than water.

The conditions those guys lived and worked in are unbelievable and the mortality rate if they got caught by an early winter was more than 70%.

Not much there in terms of accomadations, B&B or camping, if camping be prepared, it dropped well below freezing over night in early September, froze my nuts off that night wearing every piece of riding gear I had and a fire.

Oh and the ferry is a little unpredicable late in the season I had to stay an extra day due to weather closing the crossing.

Chris

I live in that part of the world. It is a great ride but not suitable for an FJR. The Trans Labrador Highway is unpaved, loose gravel and dust.
Dennis
Thanks for the advice. I will be taking my BMW 1200 GS Adventure on this trip. I crashed and totalled my FJR so I don't have an FJR right now. In fact, I will be riding my GSA to the CFR with Petey from this forum. One thing cool about the GSA is the 8.7 gallon fuel tank, although I have found that no matter how large your tank, you are always running out of gas when you get to a station. Always trying to squeeze a few more miles out before stopping.

I have also considered my KLR 650 but the GSA should work fine, especially considering most of the 8,000+ miles I plan on going will be pavement.

Chester