Got her home

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a Road King.
Not as much as I wanted (and still want) my '15 FJR ES of course, but I would like to have one.

Congratulations on the new bike. I hope it serves you well.
I'm in same boat only I'd like an Ultra Limited. Have this diversion towards big bikes. Never owned a HD but just have that bug to give it a try. In fact I've never even rode a v-twin tourer. Might hate the rumbling and heat. But have ridden the '15 ES and it surely is a sweet bike. Thoroughly confused but saving up money for an upgrade or 2nd bike.

My question to you all would be whats it like owning an HD? Pro's and Con's I suppose?
I had a Road King a few years ago. I enjoyed the look and the sound, and appreciated the quality paint, fit and finish, and the comfort of that big plush seat while cruising along. I even found it handled reasonably well in Vancouver city traffic. The vibration from that big v-twin didn't bother me, although I had to install fatter grips to keep my fingers from going numb.

I didn't like the serious lack of power on the highway, nor the rather vague handling at highway speeds. The brakes sucked, and riding on dirt or gravel was a sphincter tightening experience. Too much chrome. Way, way too much chrome. The gear shift was always clunky.
It should be a safety hazard with thr brakes hd puts out. I know the newer brembos are supposed to be decent but the brakes on my 06 were pathetic.

I want a Road King.
Not as much as I wanted (and still want) my '15 FJR ES of course, but I would like to have one.

I'm in same boat only I'd like an Ultra Limited. Have this diversion towards big bikes. Never owned a HD but just have that bug to give it a try. In fact I've never even rode a v-twin tourer. Might hate the rumbling and heat. But have ridden the '15 ES and it surely is a sweet bike. Thoroughly confused but saving up money for an upgrade or 2nd bike.

My question to you all would be whats it like owning an HD? Pro's and Con's I suppose?
I had a Road King a few years ago. I enjoyed the look and the sound, and appreciated the quality paint, fit and finish, and the comfort of that big plush seat while cruising along. I even found it handled reasonably well in Vancouver city traffic. The vibration from that big v-twin didn't bother me, although I had to install fatter grips to keep my fingers from going numb.

I didn't like the serious lack of power on the highway, nor the rather vague handling at highway speeds. The brakes sucked, and riding on dirt or gravel was a sphincter tightening experience. Too much chrome. Way, way too much chrome. The gear shift was always clunky.
What made you switch to the FJR?

I want a Road King.

What made you switch to the FJR?
I wanted a reliable, powerful, well-mannered, reasonably comfortable bike that handled well, that had excellent brakes, good ergos, decent wind/weather protection, and little to no chrome. The shaft drive also appealed.

I didn't exactly switch to the FJR. I hadn't owned a motorcycle for about 15 years.

Once I decided to get back in the saddle, it just took one look at a photo of the FJR and I was hooked.

I had an fjr before the harley and i would have got an electra glide but cant justify the cost. You seen the prices on them? New or used they are ridiculous.

I had an '05 Road King. Extremely comfortable ride...sat low to the ground. Beautiful bike and sometimes I miss it. But it was a heavy beast and a pain in the ass to move around in a parking lot. It vibrated at idle, but was smooth once it was moving. Like driving an ocean liner compared to the high performance power-boat of an FJR.

I just couldn't deal with the inherent tendency of v-twins to shake things loose. I've had shifters fall off, plates and plate mounts fall off, and a bunch of other stuff come loose. And these were things that were checked regularly and loctited when appropriate. I have no problem maneuvering a road king or nomad in tight quarters, and they are far more comfortable on the open road than my FJR ever will be. But low-and-slow-in-the-right-lane isn't how I travel slab. I generally travel at FJR nominal speeds. That's why I bought a 14A model . I'd have liked blue or black just as well if not better, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the 14. Enjoy.