GPS Tablet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As my 2820 recently stopped finding satellites, the $60 tablet with GPS is a cost effective solution over buying a new Garmin.

... once I go tablet I can't go back :)
Thanks for sharing your experiences Mikerider - it is very useful info for us pathfinders that are looking for the best in terms of processing speed, screen size, and most flexible experience. I am able to make my TomTom do great things (using Google Maps and Tyre-to-Travel) and its 5" screen is nice **BUT** adding Android and the larger screen to the mix is going to be a game changer for me.

Did anyone consider (or actually purchase) a tablet through their cell phone provider along with a 4G data plan? Would that enhance the GPS functionality to have direct cell tower access? (even though sometimes you are without coverage).

ISSUES:

• Some phones and tablets get very hot when left on for hours (as pointed out here earlier)
  • Too big of a device can look awkward when mounted on your handlebars (is 7" my max to avoid that look?)
  • Capacitive Touchscreens on tablets and smart phones do not work with standard motorcycle gloves (sew sliver threads into finger tips?)

- I have no experience with other brand of tablet beside Samsung. My new 7" Samsung Tab 4 registered my gloved finger key press just fine. But pinch zoom was a hit or miss. However, I turned on Samsung's 'Menu Assistant' and I could do everything by key press, including zoom in/out.

- If you already have a cell phone with data plan, you could use your phone as a mobile hot spot to let the tablet connect to it using WiFI, then it can use your phone's data network. That's what I do. However, some carrier requires you to pay extra for "tethering". Mine doesn't (T-Mobile).

- Mine did not get hot. It was just warm.

- 2 more inches is gigantic :) Not just the physical dimension, the resolution of my Samsung tablet is 1280 x 800, which is 780% more pixels than a Zumo 660's antique 480x272 and you could see everything!

... once I go tablet I can't go back :)
Thanks for sharing your experiences Mikerider - it is very useful info for us pathfinders that are looking for the best in terms of processing speed, screen size, and most flexible experience. I am able to make my TomTom do great things (using Google Maps and Tyre-to-Travel) and its 5" screen is nice **BUT** adding Android and the larger screen to the mix is going to be a game changer for me.

Did anyone consider (or actually purchase) a tablet through their cell phone provider along with a 4G data plan? Would that enhance the GPS functionality to have direct cell tower access? (even though sometimes you are without coverage).

ISSUES:

• Some phones and tablets get very hot when left on for hours (as pointed out here earlier)
  • Too big of a device can look awkward when mounted on your handlebars (is 7" my max to avoid that look?)
  • Capacitive Touchscreens on tablets and smart phones do not work with standard motorcycle gloves (sew sliver threads into finger tips?)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for a bargain in Android tablets and plan on using something like an Otterbox to protect it, then test the waters with something that doesn't hurt so much if it doesn't work out for you (or gets stolen).

I just got a 10" version of one of these for my 84 year old mom. It's 16:9 format so not as tall but wider. A smaller one could fit on a dash. Serviceable.

https://www.amazon.com/DigiLand/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_9714730011?ie=UTF8&node=9714730011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=DigiLand

Which app for a tablet or phone lets you upload gpx tracks and then follow them off-road? That would be real handy in about a month for the TET ride down to FODS.

I would not trust my iPhone or iPad in the wet, or the cold, or the heat, and you can't see chit in direct sunlight.

But somehow my vintage zumo 550 keeps chugging along through all of those conditions.

Which app for a tablet or phone lets you upload gpx tracks and then follow them off-road?
Are you talking about FS roads or single-track trails? I believe the android Co-Pilot app will do most FS roads. Most all the FS roads I know of are shown in the Co-Pilot app. For single- and double-track trails you should probably head over to advrider and ask.

I'm talking about any place where the route that you want to follow is not shown as a road, path or trail in the 24K topo maps or NA street maps of a typical GPS.

I know what they say on ADVriders, get an offroad handheld GPS that can follow tracks, but those little handhelds do not work all that well for everyday on-road riding, and I do not particularly like the idea of carrying two GPSes. I do not think that any phone or tablet app exists to do that right now. Most have a difficult time accepting pre-planned routes of any kind, and are more of a point and shoot GPS like most automotive ones are.

Honestly - I would ask over there and see if there are any android apps that do that. It would seem that this void would be filled already with something like (or similar to) Co-Pilot.

Or can any Co-Pilot users here chime in on Fred's situation? Will copilot do bread crumbs and store it on a map?

... I'm reading of folks creating a map in Google which I must say is waaayyyy easier but what I don't get is how you export this map into CoPilot? .... Anyway what am I missing? Thanks!!
https://support.copilotgps.com/hc/en-gb/articles/205642411-How-to-import-routes-from-Google-Maps

Ugh. That looks like a PITA.
Wow cool find! and wow gotta agree.....clear as mud!!
Ok ericboutin. Get this. I downloaded the Co-Pilot app on my Galaxy S5 and then bought a month of the premium version ($0.99) so I could try out the Google Maps import feature you asked about (free version won't do it). Co-Pilot uses the so-called ".trp" file format which [drum roll please] the free TyreToTravel also imports/exports!

So: I created my 385 mile route for this Saturday in Google Maps, imported it into Tyre (one button), and from Tyre clicked > File > Save As > and selected "Co-Pilot trp files" from the drop down menu (see photo below) and saved the Google-created trip to my PC. Then I emailed it to myself so I could get the "trp" file on my Galaxy. Then, from my phone, I saved it to the appropriate folder per their instructions (which are wrong in the above Co-Pilot link). The correct maps storage folder (for my phone) is on the root of the primary SD card > com.alk.copilot.mapviewer/NA/Save. Once you've saved the trip file there then > Start CoPilot > go to Route > Plan or Edit Route > Select "Options" (bottom left) > Click "Load" and choose the itinerary you just saved and then you are done! It freakin works! Tyre is a super flexible program. It will also import/export Garmin gpx files.

Saturday I will have my Tyre map loaded into my TomTom GPS and my Galaxy S5 for my 8 hour trip through the South Carolina/North Carolina countryside
coolsmiley02.gif

This is awesome!
rockwoot.gif

Here are the file formats Tyre can Export to (or Save As):

2u9it14.jpg

And here are the file formats for Importing into Tyre:

5nu2rb.jpg

Please let us know if the planned route matches the actual on-the-road route. On more than one occasion (three), I have noticed that computer-planned route differed from on-the-road route because ..... speculation here .... the routing algorithms differed between computer and GPS unit. That is, between a specific pair of waypoints, the two routing devices selected a different route.

And yes, I realize that as you transfer a larger number of waypoints from one device to the other, the routes become identical. I suppose microprocessor-based devices can easily handle the 'File-Save As-Load' process with a gajillion waypoints ....... like ¼ mile apart ..... which would eventually preclude the possibility of even having a different route between any two waypoints .......

.... so just let us know, OK?

Thanks.

Uncle Hud

Good point Uncle Hud. There are most certainly times when you move the Tyre route over to the GPS and it "rubberband snaps" two distant way points across a (usually shorter or faster) different route. But the more way points you have the less this happens. Knowing it happens (sometimes) I will first check the Tyre route then check the GPS route itself after it gets ported over. The TomTom has a nice way to quickly check your route after you move it over so it's fairly quick and easy to do. And setting the GPS to "avoid highways" or "shortest route" or whatever does not seem to help either. Check and double-check seems to be the only way to remedy this. I've just gotten used to placing my Tyre way point markers just a smidgen past each turn which is nice because then you always have a "distance to next turn" indicator and it reduces the odds of a "rubberband moment." In any planner do NOT make the mistake of putting a way point marker too close in front of a turn! You'll hit the way point and then **BAM!** you gotta turn! That could be dangerous for you and the riders behind you using any GPS!

I am very excited about mounting a 7" Nexus tablet and learning Co-Pilot! I think y'all are on to something here folks!! I like the larger screen!

Information overload...I've been looking at these threads (and others) about putting a tablet on the bike for trip planning and I have no clue what the "hot setup" is at this point.

What's the current 'best effort' in terms of the software you'd pick? Sounds to me like Google Maps (at home), import to Tyre, import to CoPilot and it is working?

It amazes me that there isn't a total software solution on the market for a tablet, sans the file format dance.

Dedicated Garmin et al = Not interested...at all. Been doing that for 20 years. The allure of the tablet is a larger screen and the ability to run other applications if required. Don't want to use my phone for this.

SumacLife makes waterproof bags for tablets, here is link to amazon.

Has anyone tried them? They seem cost effective.

Just picked up a lightly used 2013 Nexus 7 for $80 through craigslist. I must say I really like the size. Perfect for reading, browsing, light games, and for a big GPS.

I have a garmin at home but I really I like the extra functionality of the tablet (with the 32gb version I can keep all my music, games, and books on there as well). as well as the increased resolution and size.

for the proper mount, here is my list (RAM mount only because 'Murca)

I do have some concerns over the micro USB connector on the Nexus and vibrations breaking the port, I am considering strengthening the connection there ... somehow. Also, this does not address water resistance, but I can just put the tablet away or throw a sandwich bag over it.

I don't know if I'm tablet ready, but I am considering switching one of my iPhones to the giant one. I really don't have any problem seeing the 6s I use now though. Bigger would still be better. I have a hotspot with unlimited data and use Copilot as a backup to the Maps app. Maybe a tablet would be better. Techdoods- if I were to buy one today, for this purpose, what's the best bang for the buck?

Bill Lumberg posted: .... Techdoods- if I were to buy one today, for this purpose, what's the best bang for the buck?

I'm far from a Techdood (except on Saturday afternoons in the fall) but will post my 2¢ after having performed a trivial amount of research over the past few months:

Get an Android.

1. They're cheaper than Apple or µSoft products, especially if you purchase last year's model or a refurbished unit. (It's going on your motorcycle. No need for shiny and new.)

2. Android is a Google OS, so it should run Google Maps and Chrome better than any other tablet.

I have three questions remaining from my trivial research efforts:

a. Which RAM mount will work best with my dashboard shelf?

b. Can an 8-inch tablet can be covered by a gallon-sized Ziplock? Will I need a dry cleaner's bag for a 10-inch model?

c. Cheaper to use the iPhone as wifi hot spot, or get the tablet with a data plan?

Latest posts