Great PCIII map for 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone please post the wally / 01 map hybrid? Also, anyone know what the updated firmware does? I figured I'd update the firmware while i was at it.

thx!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried doing wallies smoothnes map for the first 2500 rpm and anything above 2500rpm the 01 map from power comander. I also put 20 in all the 0% throttle positions. This bike is a dream! Very smooth! I would recomend it to any one with an abruptness problem!
I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!

Hi Bob. Do you have the completed map with the smoothness down low and the o1 pc map up high? Can you e-mail it to me?

Thanks,

Roger

Just went for a nice ride using the Wallys Smoothness Map for the 06. Wow! Very smooth. This is what yamaha should have done. And the bike runs considerably cooler to boot!

Thanks Chuck!

I tried to put the file here so anyone can use it, but can't figure out how? I will email it to you.

After going for another nice long ride today, I have to say that the Wally Smoothness map converted to the 06 in my opinion has made the biggest difference between all fo the mods to get the throttle snatch problem resolved.

G2 - 5 to 10% Improvement

PCIII with 01 Map - 40% Improvement

Wally Map for 06 - 55% Improvement

Like some of the rest of you, I really didn't expect that a new map would be so much better than the pciii with the 01 map. With all three, this bike is absolutely amazing! The actual mileage to the gallon calculates to approximately 38 using california gas at sea level.

I do not have slip-ons and I installed the holeshots/wally smoothness map.
I also do not have slip-ons but why would you use the map for Holeshot slip-ons when you do not have them?

:unknw:
I was wanting to make the bike smoother off the bottom. I went for a 1400 mile ride this weekend utilizing the pre-2500 rpm smoothness map mixed with the 01 map and I can confirm this is exactly what I was searching for. It's hard to imagine a bike getting much better than this ....

Another convert to the Wally Smoothness madness.

1. Tried the standard Wally Smoothness Map (06, no mods). Smoooooooth . . . and really soft in the upper ranges.
  2. Then I tried the combined Wally/Holeshot map discussed on this thread. Better, but still felt soft, no doubt because of the absence of freer breathing air filter and cans.
  3. So then I did my own map mods: set all the cells from 3750/60% over and down to "0." Basically the bottom right corner of the map is set to the standard map that comes from dynojet. Runs smooth at low throttle and low revs but gets cranking when I want it to go. Much more satisfying. If you look at the Holeshot map, it fluctuates from slightly negative to slightly positive in that range and actually a bit leaner all around than the Wally map.
I realize all of this is amateur hour, but once you get started with the map, it's kind of addictive . . . and not that hard. Here was my approach.

1. Open up one of the maps (Like the Wally) in the USB console.
  2. Select all the cells
  3. Copy
  4. Open Excel
  5. Paste the cells into a spread sheet
  6. Repeat with another map (like the Holeshot or Wally/Holeshot)
  7. Look at both. It's a bit tedious going back and forth but you'll see where and how they're different.
  8. You know that "0" in all the cells works just fine . . . that's the base map, so what you're looking at is variation off that map
  9. Make your changes and save the spreadsheet.
  10. Copy the cells.
  11. Open the USB console.
  12. Open a map (if one isn't open)
  13. Rename it FIRST! (Save Map as).
  14. Paste onto an existing map in the USB console.
  15. Save again.
Now you have a new map. Simple logic says that . . .

• Neither the Wally Map or the Holeshot Map (or any combination) was optimized for your bike, so consider it a really good guess.
  • Anything inside the parameters set in one of these maps (less than the positive numbers or more than the negative numbers) probably isn't optimum, but it's not going to kill your bike.
  • So experiment, ride, and pay attention to where things happen or don't.
I realize the best answer is to go get the bike dynoed, but as most people don't and won't, this seems like an acceptable way to happily spend hours foolin and ridin, foolin and ridin.

Remember, if you get crossed up, create a spreadsheet with all "0" and paste them into your bastardized map. You'll be back to what the good folks at dynojet thinks is a good place to start.

YMMV (really)

I used the map compare feature in the software. I thought the 01 map was still too lean (I have cans and K&N). The Wally map was too rich. Gas mileage went from 46 to 41MPG and it did't pull very good at WOT. I created an average map of the 2 and it was much better, but MPG only went to 43. So I created another average between the 01 and 01/Wally average (basically 25% from 01 towards Wally) and this is the one for me. Responsive throttle, pulls hard at all throttle positions and 45MPG. :)

I did it without using excel..

open wally's

select 0-2500 & copy

open base map

select 0-2500 & paste

rename

edit...oh I get it you're experimenting; sorry for the mixup

Folks, as many computer-savvy people as we have here, I'm shaking my head at the amount of confusion a simple naming convention would prevent when you make/post mapping files.

PLEASE, try this...use the first year of the "generation" your mapping is for right in the name of the file!!!

If I make a mapping for the 06+ model, I should name it...

pc3_06fjr_rayban_smooth01.djm (no, you turkeys, this isn't a live link, it's an example!!!)

If I make a mapping for the 03-05 model, I should name it...

pc3_03fjr_rayban_smooth01.djm

Get the picture?

This will GREATLY cut confusion and 20 gazillion posts that resemble "who's on first" when it comes to figuring out what map is for what generation engine...

To help this effort along, I have downloaded all known maps and posted them, along with PC3 software (Accel. Pump, etc) and tutorials to my website. Clicky here.

Feel free to PM me at any time if you want a map added to the site.

This is a permanent site. Feel free to add it to the FAQ's if it proves useful.

bump and question:

Anybody else got any more maps for me to add to the site? check the fjrforum directory in the previous post's link. Right now, I just have the ones that powercommander hosts and the 3 mentioned in this thread for the 06 generation. Is that all there are out there?

3 new contributions from borrec posted to the site linked above, all for 2006+ generation.

Muzzy's

Average of 01 and Wallys

01 and 25% towards Wallys

PCiii installed, test ridden without removing O2 sensor yet. Noticed different response on top end, seems like I can rip up to top of range in each gear quicker, much faster up to 100mph+ without even thinking about it and backing off before John Law gets me. Will unhook the O2 tomorrow and actually connect software/maps to it tomorrow. Just gonna ride "stock" one night with no changes so I can later gauge difference in map behaviors better. One change at a time...

Well I got the PC III installed today & played around with maps and the best map so fat has been the 1st 2500 rpm of the Wally smoothness map, cut & pasted on the 001 PC-III map. (My bike is stock)

It is 99% perfect with this combo.

The PC-III is the best FJR farkle ever!

I need some advice on which map to use, I am at 5k' and don't seem to have the lean surge that plague's some bikes. I am installing Staintune Stainless Slip-ons and the PC-III next week. I already have the G2 and have done the CO settings with a 3500rpm sync. I have no problem with low rpm control but the vibes are killing me! Nerve damage, which map-combo will give me the least vibes from 0-4k rpm...I don't spend enough time above that to care about the vibrations. If I loose a little mpg..adv 51 for the last 900 miles, I will gladly loose mpg and HP just so I can ride without major pain!

Thanks, Cary

Two things:

1. The traffic to my PC3 storage area has been amazing! I never realized how many lurkers there were on this board until I published an all-in-one location for sharing PC3 maps! The hit meter went bonkers. If you have other maps you want to share, contact me via pm and I'll get it posted.

2. Caryt, try Wally's smoothness map (save your current map as a backup, of course). The great thing about the PC3 is that you can adjust things all day and still fall back to your baseline as long as you're careful as you go and save and back things up.

PCiii installed, test ridden without removing O2 sensor yet. Noticed different response on top end, seems like I can rip up to top of range in each gear quicker, much faster up to 100mph+ without even thinking about it and backing off before John Law gets me. Will unhook the O2 tomorrow and actually connect software/maps to it tomorrow. Just gonna ride "stock" one night with no changes so I can later gauge difference in map behaviors better. One change at a time...

Any update to the co2 nod?

cary