Guide to Removing the Air Induction System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...can ride with running sneakers/shorts and no socks, ...
I've never had problems riding with that attire...

...course, that is on my bicycle! :rolleyes:

Came up behind a guy on a Harley today in city traffic. This guy was my age (mature, let's say). Shorts, tank top, freakin' flip-flops, and a half helmet. A PINK half helmet. Kid you not.

Just to clarify, I DONT ride in shorts and sneakers normally, but did take a 10 minute trip around my neighborhood in such attire just to check out the heat fix ;-)

Did this mod today along with a new air filter, new plugs and a TB Sync, used the bypass caps from napa, all is looking real nice. Just finishing up the left side heat fix. I did the right side heat fix a week or so ago, and at the time, the left side felt fine. A little warm maybe, but the right side was way too hot for my likes. Now, the right side is COOL BABY, and the left side is too hot. Great Forum, and great stuff guys, thanks!
UPDATE, just went for a ride with all the above, and WOW what a difference, NO MORE popping, I never liked it but diddnt realize how much I diddnt like it till I diddnt have it...... (ok, one too many beers) TB sync and new plugs made a huge difference too, now on and off throttle are smooth and turbine like. Too bad I could only go for a 1/2 hour ride. ** Though not in this thread, also want to say the heat fixes worked well, can ride with running sneakers/shorts and no socks, I feel warmth, but not hit. Before, with thick leather boots/socks and riding pants/jeans the right side was barely tolerable and left was tolerable, now both are perfect.

I've been messing with the pair system for several months trying to get rid of the popping after installing the Holeshot pipes. I have plugged the holes several different ways, checked all the clamps in my exhaust system for leaks but Im still getting the popping on deceleration. Done this on several other bikes with no problem. Dont know what else to look for on this one. Any ideas??

I did the PAIR removal back in 2009 on my 2007AE, but now I'm moving to a state where I believe they do smog inspections (Texas). Should I expect to fail the inspection unless I reinstall everything?

Nope, you're fine.

Reference

"Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

• Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection."

Thanks, Fred. Since posting my question, I was researching on my own and stumbled upon the same info, (motorcycles exempt from emissions testing in Texas), and came back to answer my own post. You beat me to it, which is good on you, and reinforced what I found on my own. No testing sounds good to me!

Thanks.

I don't believe any states require emissions testing on motorcycles (yet) but there are some municipalities (cities or regions) that do.

Hello,

One quesiton regarding the plugs for the hoses: I understood that non-Cali models have a plug (Code 5JW-14862-00-00) for an additional hose (perhaps used for Cali models for evap canister etc). Can such a plug be used for all 5 hoses remaiing after removing PAIR valve, 3-wayjoints etc? The question is referring to the diameter since for sure the plastic material is heat resistant since it is already used from the factory for such a purpose...

Thanks.

Hello,
One quesiton regarding the plugs for the hoses: I understood that non-Cali models have a plug (Code 5JW-14862-00-00) for an additional hose (perhaps used for Cali models for evap canister etc). Can such a plug be used for all 5 hoses remaiing after removing PAIR valve, 3-wayjoints etc? The question is referring to the diameter since for sure the plastic material is heat resistant since it is already used from the factory for such a purpose...

Thanks.
I just did this mod earlier this week. I used brass Apollo PEX plumbing test plugs and stainless steel hose clamps that I bought at Lowe's. They were ~$1.10 each, IDK what the Yamaha 5JW-14862-00-00 plugs go for, but I'd bet Lowe's is much cheaper. FWIW, they sold plastic ones also that were 2 for $1.00 but brass seemed like the obvious choice for longevity.

Edit: I just noticed Cosmin's location is Romania...I'm betting they don't have Lowe's there, perhaps something else similar though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Thanks.
I just did this mod earlier this week. I used brass Apollo PEX plumbing test plugs and stainless steel hose clamps that I bought at Lowe's. They were ~$1.10 each, IDK what the Yamaha 5JW-14862-00-00 plugs go for, but I'd bet Lowe's is much cheaper. FWIW, they sold plastic ones also that were 2 for $1.00 but brass seemed like the obvious choice for longevity.

Edit: I just noticed Cosmin's location is Romania...I'm betting they don't have Lowe's there, perhaps something else similar though...

Thanks for reply.

In the first phase I kept the setup with 4 hoses joining into 2 and I needed just 3 plugs (1 for the air filter hose and 2 for the two joints). So for one of them I used the OEM Yamaha one - which is aluminium and seems ok. For the other 2 I used 2 pipe plugs but made of plastic. I bought several of them (very cheap) and I tested one with a hot air gun to see how it behaves and it seems ok (it started melting with the hot air gun kept close on 300 degrees Celsius position - so I doubt they will melt at the temperature within the engine compartment). Anyway in the future I'll order 2 OEM Yamaha plugs but only if I don't find a metal type alternative since the OEM ones are quite expensive here (15$/piece).