HA! We FJR riders are INFAMOUS....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes getting from Laramie to Rock Springs a little less of an adventure in wondering if you are going to make the next gas station.
Oy vay! You can always stop in the garden spot of Rawlins! That is a brutal ride. Get off 80. You should be taking 40 across Colorado. Tsk, tsk! You should know better!
AMEN! Back in another lifetime (late 70s with a Kawi Z1), I lived in Steamboat but spent way too many summer weeks painting and taping up in Green River and Rock Springs, the worst being the job in Jeffrey City painting inside a uranium mill. All those places along 80 there -- the wind, the white mud, the black files -- gawd awful. Steamboat and most of the rest of the area off 40 is the bliss and beauty opposite.

Amen. I was unfortunate enough to have lived in Rock Springs for three years. It took a while, but therapy and meds have cured most of those scars. I only get the occasional nightmare now. :D

Amen. I was unfortunate enough to have lived in Rock Springs for three years. It took a while, but therapy and meds have cured most of those scars. I only get the occasional nightmare now. :D
The scars maybe healed from your point of view but the rest of the world is still feeling and seeing the pain. +1 on good drugs though. :p :p

Oh, and just before those 3 years of hell in Rock Springs, I lived in Steamboat Springs for three glorious months. Stuffin butts into chairs and skiing for free three days a week. Life was GOOD.

To use a phrase from Tolkien, short cuts make for long delays. If we are on 80, we are usually trying to get to points NW and making time. The scenic route is a no no for us on a day where we are going from, say, Denver to Boise.

My dead-ex-husband lived in Rock Springs back in the late 70s or early 80s. He loved it for the dirt bike riding, but not much else. Now, every time we stop there for gas, the meth heads are hanging out at the gas stations, which makes for an interesting stop.

We do like to ride up to Laramie for lunch. There is a restaurant and brew pub up there that cannot be missed, Altitude Chop House. https://altitudechophouse.com/ They change up the menu weekly, have fantastic steaks, and even better beer. No, don't be thinking we are poker run kinda fools. We are growler hunters. We have about 8-9 growlers from brew pubs from Dillon to Pueblo to Laramie, and we put them in the saddle bags and off we go. When we get home we have a nice refreshing cold brew. The Library in Laramie https://librarysportsgrilleandbrewery.com/ is a great pub too, more college oriented, but the honey wheat is out of this world, especially when paired with The Mountie. Yeah, I know it's time for AA when our conversations go "what a great breakfast beer and sandwich!"

Laramie has a special place in our hearts after we got stuck there in the rain and cold on our way to CA, which prompted the SS1000. Sometimes we'll drive up there in winter, stay at the same hotel, and hit both pubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
FZTCII.jpg
Are those bars of soap being used as knee-pucks?

Do you prefer Dial, Ivory, or Lever 2000?

I know right? Actually, they are material similar to what a plastic cutting board is made of. Lee Parks makes them for use in the class. I took the Lee Parks class from Lee Parks himself. Those of us who didn't have leathers he gave these to as we got closer to touching down a knee. He said after a bit of experimenting with various material, he found this, which didn't grind down too easy, but also slid and didn't catch.

Oh, and just before those 3 years of hell in Rock Springs, I lived in Steamboat Springs for three glorious months. Stuffin butts into chairs and skiing for free three days a week. Life was GOOD.
HA!! You absolutely get it! The Tugboat, the VI, the Longbranch, and was it Dos Amigos?

If I could pick a time, go back and get stuck in the repeat cycle, that'd probably be it, though the years that followed in Tahoe City would be awfully close.

Hayden with the hayfields gently rippling in the breeze, the contrasting greens of the pines and aspens on the mountains their backdrop? Strawberry Park and the hot springs, Buffalo Pass. Or the Yampa river valley to the south off Rabbit Ears. (I sprayed the coal tar epoxy in the diversion tunnels through the dam of what is now Lake Catamount.) Elk River road on the bike. Mount Zirkel Wilderness on horseback. Running up to Fish Creek Falls and back every afternoon getting ready for ski season.

And most definitely -- what was maybe the best snow year of all time -- the winter of '77 - '78. 108 days that year, never anything less than A+++ conditions -- the pines as snow sculptures on the summit of Mt. Werner, 8 foot wind drifts of powder to bust through and launch heading into Priest Creek, chasing one another through the fluff and powdered bumps in the glades there, the Closet with perpetual epic conditions! BC liftline, Whiteout, Hurricane and Twister and the trees in between. Dayum!!! I miss being young, stress free and living there in that time.

RIP Little Jack -- you were the best ever.

OK -- end of hijack -- the topic was FJR assholes, right? ;)

HA!! You absolutely get it! The Tugboat, the VI, the Longbranch, and was it Dos Amigos?

If I could pick a time, go back and get stuck in the repeat cycle, that'd probably be it, though the years that followed in Tahoe City would be awfully close.

Hayden with the hayfields gently rippling in the breeze, the contrasting greens of the pines and aspens on the mountains their backdrop? Strawberry Park and the hot springs, Buffalo Pass. Or the Yampa river valley to the south off Rabbit Ears. (I sprayed the coal tar epoxy in the diversion tunnels through the dam of what is now Lake Catamount.) Elk River road on the bike. Mount Zirkel Wilderness on horseback. Running up to Fish Creek Falls and back every afternoon getting ready for ski season.

And most definitely -- what was maybe the best snow year of all time -- the winter of '77 - '78. 108 days that year, never anything less than A+++ conditions -- the pines as snow sculptures on the summit of Mt. Werner, 8 foot wind drifts of powder to bust through and launch heading into Priest Creek, chasing one another through the fluff and powdered bumps in the glades there, the Closet with perpetual epic conditions! BC liftline, Whiteout, Hurricane and Twister and the trees in between. Dayum!!! I miss being young, stress free and living there in that time.

RIP Little Jack -- you were the best ever.

OK -- end of hijack -- the topic was FJR assholes, right? ;)
That's okay....your windy post confirmed your status. :p

You rock T! Just in case anyone was wondering...I'm the A-hole that ratted out the rest of you A-holes! Wish i could have kept my FZ1 for the occasional, ummm, spirited short ride. ;)

. . . dead-ex-husband . . .
A question of sequence comes to mind here . . . . .

ex- before his passing, murdered by you (thus pretty much simultaneous,) or tragic circumstance? The phrase just triggered a thing in my head that we thought was gone . . . . .

Divorced in 2004, he moved back to Oklahoma (where we are from) in 2005, and died a year later 2006 at the age of 38. Drinking at a friends house, fell down the stairs, three days in a coma, drove down with the kids (ages 15 & 14 at the time), made the decision with the rest of his family to turn off the machines and finite'.

Honestly, I was glad I was in another state when it happened, because it wasn't a pretty divorce. Cheap, but not pretty. His family still thinks his death was my fault for not being able to support an alcoholic anymore and cutting him loose. Not their fault for raising him to be one of course. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a new husband, he is super! :yahoo: He goes along with all of my crazy adventures and is a damn fine mechanic. And he spoils me rotten.

Divorced in 2004, he moved back to Oklahoma (where we are from) in 2005, and died a year later 2006 at the age of 38. Drinking at a friends house, fell down the stairs, three days in a coma, drove down with the kids (ages 15 & 14 at the time), made the decision with the rest of his family to turn off the machines and finite'.

Honestly, I was glad I was in another state when it happened, because it wasn't a pretty divorce. Cheap, but not pretty. His family still thinks his death was my fault for not being able to support an alcoholic anymore and cutting him loose. Not their fault for raising him to be one of course. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a new husband, he is super! :yahoo: He goes along with all of my crazy adventures and is a damn fine mechanic. And he spoils me rotten.
Dang.

Sometimes the rocky roads can lead you to a better place.

Your new husband is lucky or blessed, I say both....

Dang.

Considering he's still alive, I concur.

Dang.

Considering he's still alive, I concur.

Don't kill him!!!

I'm sure he's doing better than any other asshole....

You rock T! Just in case anyone was wondering...I'm the A-hole that ratted out the rest of you A-holes! Wish i could have kept my FZ1 for the occasional, ummm, spirited short ride. ;)
Your rat bastard! ;)

If'n ya wantin' annuder FZ1, I can get my Queen Bee™ to spit out a new offspring for ya! She is where all other 2003 FZ1 Bees come from!

FZ1mirrormutation.jpg

Latest posts