Handlebar shake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buy tars [front] that have sipes even with each other on each side rather than staggered...as they wear cups will form and alternating cups will cause wobble. Michelin Pilot Road tars have even sipes...the Road 5's I just got have even sipes...I run 42 psi front which reduces cupping... [my 1/2 cent]
Good luck with the Road 5s. They won't be coming out with the GT spec of it until January. RedNeckJay mounted a set just before we left on the WeSTOC recon. 9 days and 3,400 miles later they were toast. He also developed a pretty serious shake during the trip. Had to stop at a dealer and get the front wheel re-balanced. Didn't cure it but did make it better. He's coming by Saturday to mount some T31s I have which have 3k on them and look like they'll go another few thousand. YMMV
Meant to say T30 EVO, not T31.

buy tars [front] that have sipes even with each other on each side rather than staggered...as they wear cups will form and alternating cups will cause wobble. Michelin Pilot Road tars have even sipes...the Road 5's I just got have even sipes...I run 42 psi front which reduces cupping... [my 1/2 cent]
Good luck with the Road 5s. They won't be coming out with the GT spec of it until January. RedNeckJay mounted a set just before we left on the WeSTOC recon. 9 days and 3,400 miles later they were toast. He also developed a pretty serious shake during the trip. Had to stop at a dealer and get the front wheel re-balanced. Didn't cure it but did make it better. He's coming by Saturday to mount some T31s I have which have 3k on them and look like they'll go another few thousand. YMMV
Meant to say T30 EVO, not T31.
So, what is a T31? - never heard of them...

https://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr141/index.html

Anybody have experience with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing over to tapered bearing did it for this Gen1. This was last resort after other changes. Wilber shock and springs, new tires, still a little wobble and bar shakes. The obvious regreasing the bearings.

It's like a new bike, tight around turns with or without bumps. Very stable. Night and day comparisons. Went with the French made tapered bearings using the all balls lower seal only. Had to reuse the upper seal. Highly recommend this change. Touqued to the 13 lbs. For those who took the time to write the posts...THANKS! I was ready to sell the bike. It's now very fun to ride.

In Dec '17 I found 'Shucking the Shakes' by The Motorcycle Project.

The procedure in the article cured my FJR of the Shakes / decel wobble

thru today.

There is no longer decel headshake with worn ragged tires.

There is no longer decel headshake with a fully loaded bike.

Worth a try if your bike is affected.

Last edited by a moderator: