Harley guy here..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the FJR club! I owned a '05 Road King before making the move to FJR. Both great bikes, just totally different. Sometimes I miss the Harley, but not too often. The Harley was just too heavy to move around for my liking. My favorite time on the FJR is on freeway entrance ramps....zoom -zoom.

I have Rifle windscreen that I really like. The 2 best farkles for me were a Russel seat and highway pegs, which I use constantly.

Good luck disconnecting the plug for the auto- retract....it's really tight under there. You can do it, it just takes a while to figure out how....try to find a 5 year old kid with small, long fingers, lol.

I rode 50 miles last night and find that I miss the size of my Harley saddlebags. I know the FJR bags will hold my FF helmet, but I had not realized how many things are longer than a helmet. LOL
A Harley guy riding a Japanese bike AND wearing a full-face helmet? I don't know exactly what the proper name for "Hell" is in the chaps-and-tassles crowd, but whatever it is, you're going there!
winksmiley02.gif

I rode 50 miles last night and find that I miss the size of my Harley saddlebags. I know the FJR bags will hold my FF helmet, but I had not realized how many things are longer than a helmet. LOL
A Harley guy riding a Japanese bike AND wearing a full-face helmet? I don't know exactly what the proper name for "Hell" is in the chaps-and-tassles crowd, but whatever it is, you're going there!
winksmiley02.gif
That's for sure. I have a buddy who laughs as me because he gets waves from Harley riders while he rides without a helmet on a Yamaha Sport Bike, but they ignore me on my big black hog because I wear the FF helmet.

Beary

There's no rush. It takes me a few hundred miles to get comfortable on a new bike even without the extreme transition from a cruiser to sport touring bike. Just try to be smooth on the bike, and the transition will come naturally.
"Smooth" started out to be a bit challenging. There is a bit of a lash between no throttle and adding throttle. Harleys manage that with a compensator and rubber cush drive bushings in the rear drive pully. I was afraid I was beating up the drive train because It kind of felt like all or none at first, but I'm getting use to it.

Beary

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!
hello.gif.pagespeed.ce.6mBOdABmRZ.gif

I've had my '04 for just over a year (put 10,000 miles on it) and I love it more every day! Enjoy!

Hey, that ^^^^ was my 100th post.

Beary, there are two Arkansas FJR gatherings this weekend in Arkansas. One is forming up in Harrison and the other in Ozark. Even if you could only join on Saturday, it may not be an unreasonable ride to get to either Friday evening. If you think you'd be interested, I'll take he extra step and PM information on each ride to you.

Do I have to say farkle? That doesn't go well in a biker crowd around here. How does "do-dads" sound?
And farkles are the nom-de-geur around here. In fact, we have links to FJRTech.net...one of the folks that pushed the term. Lots to be found with simple searches as well!

You guys are great. Yes, I am having are hard time using the RPMs that are near and above the Harley Red Line.
This is a niggly thing, but it's "RPM" without an s. It stands for Revolutions per Minute and an extra s would make it Revolutions per Minutes.

Enjoy the forum!

Funny you should mention the size of HD saddlebags. While they are longer than the bags on the FJR, I've yet to find much that they would hold the FJR wouldn't. In fact I've stowed stuff for some of our HD riding friend that they couldn't fit! I've even offered a couple of them my keys just to try my FJR and almost to a one they refuse. Their reason; they're afraid they'll like it!

Beary, there are two Arkansas FJR gatherings this weekend in Arkansas. One is forming up in Harrison and the other in Ozark. Even if you could only join on Saturday, it may not be an unreasonable ride to get to either Friday evening. If you think you'd be interested, I'll take he extra step and PM information on each ride to you.
Thanks for the offer. I can't make it this weekend because I have Oklahoma Stare season tickets, but I would like you to keep me in mind because I am usually avaliable most weekends. A Friday night is not unreasonable at all.

Beary

Thanks for the offer. I can't make it this weekend because I have Oklahoma Stare season tickets, but I would like you to keep me in mind because I am usually avaliable most weekends. A Friday night is not unreasonable at all.

Beary
Well. If football's more important that motorcycling
rolleyes.gif
;)

You don't need an invite to plan a ride. Just post up, and I'm sure someone will take you up on it.

Do I have to say farkle? That doesn't go well in a biker crowd around here. How does "do-dads" sound?
And farkles are the nom-de-geur around here. In fact, we have links to FJRTech.net...one of the folks that pushed the term. Lots to be found with simple searches as well!

You guys are great. Yes, I am having are hard time using the RPMs that are near and above the Harley Red Line.
This is a niggly thing, but it's "RPM" without an s. It stands for Revolutions per Minute and an extra s would make it Revolutions per Minutes.

Enjoy the forum!
I ride for more than a minute, so it's RPMs for me. ;)

Enjoy the forum!
I ride for more than a minute, so it's RPMs for me. ;)
And MPHs? Or do you never ride for more than an hour?

Enjoy the forum!
I ride for more than a minute, so it's RPMs for me.
wink.png
And MPHs? Or do you never ride for more than an hour?
Gettin' kinda personal there, aren't ya? :D

Yeah, well, if I'm honest, I will admit to doing the same. Sometimes that first upshift can be followed by WOT and I check mirrors, road surface, mirrors again, and shift again, and forget about the turn signal because my brain is going "Wheeeeeee!"

Yeah, well, if I'm honest, I will admit to doing the same. Sometimes that first upshift can be followed by WOT and I check mirrors, road surface, mirrors again, and shift again, and forget about the turn signal because my brain is going "Wheeeeeee!"
If you need to check mirrors twice on an FJR at WOT you must have forgotten to put gas in the tank!
winksmiley02.gif

Beary,

If you have not yet ordered a windscreen, I will put in a plug for Cal-Sci. I had one on my 07 and it was great. The triangular opening in the lower center of the screen eliminated the turbulence which was there on the stock screen, I am 5'10' and used a +4" which was just the right height. It gave me plenty of air in low position and at full high it was well above my helmet.

Regarding the auto-retract on the windscreen, it is not all that difficult to reach. There are threads on this Forum clearly showing where it is and best practices for a dis-connect.

A word on Harley riders, I find it interesting how all Hardly's seem to have a very foul exhaust smell. I can undestnad how the earlier non-FI bikes would run a little rich and produce a strong exhaust, but the newer bikes with FI should burn clean. I will never follow a Hardly for that reason. Well, there is another reason. You will become very frustrated slowing down to a crawl on every turn in the road.

art miller, me n' my hawg are gonna smoke you out with my 91 UltraClassic! Where do you live again?
smile.png

Beary, welcome to the world of ninja riding turtles with their shells on backwards!

DSC09726.JPG

Latest posts